New to Minetest and Minetest forum

gunvolt

IRC: gunvolt
In-game: gunvolt

New to Minetest and Minetest forum

by gunvolt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 16:30

I am a former Minecraft player and fanboy. However, I recently started boycotting Micro$oft after controversial actions towards Linux(like patenting convergence).
At that time I decided to pick up Minetest, a game I had on my Linux laptop just out of curiosity. I was initially struck by the lack of creatures and some of Minecraft's other features, so I decided to modify the game. Eventually I settled with the subgame "Minetest: The Next Game." It has all of the features I need (except for compatibility with the hunger mod)
I am already developing a texture pack for the game that is a port of my favorite Minecraft texture pack. You will find it in the texture packs forum. If I can learn enough Lua, I might also try to write mods. All of my projects go under either the CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-SA-NC, or GPL. I am a tech slacktivist and am very anticommercial. Enjoy my presence here.
If you want to contact me, I'd gladly chat you on Twitter(gunvolt_linux) or GNU Social(gunvolt@quitter.se)
I internet regularly! librehomepage.wordpress.com

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Re: New to Minetest and Minetest forum

by MineYoshi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 17:04

I am happy about your conversion from Minecraft!

I hope you stay here many time!

And enjoy Minetest!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

asanetargoss

by asanetargoss » Tue Mar 22, 2016 20:41

Hello there. :) I am a current Minecraft/Minetest player and fangirl.

The Minetest Modding Book is a great resource for modding in general:
http://rubenwardy.com/minetest_modding_book/index.html

Should you need more basic knowledge about coding, take the modding book's advice and take some of the free courses at Codecademy. Either Python or javascript would be a good starting point.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:46

asanetargoss wrote:Hello there. :) I am a current Minecraft/Minetest player and fangirl.

Should you need more basic knowledge about coding, take the modding book's advice and take some of the free courses at Codecademy. Either Python or javascript would be a good starting point.

Friend, please:

Javascript isn't a good "start point" because isn't in Minetest!

Minetest mods are in LUA!
Better start with that!
Python is needed, but for mods isn't so useful.
But if you are new start with phyton then learn lua!

After all the Minetest mods API is very simple and understandable if you know a bit of lua!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:57

MineYoshi wrote:
asanetargoss wrote:Hello there. :) I am a current Minecraft/Minetest player and fangirl.

Friend, please:

Better start with that!

After all the Minetest mods API is very simple and understandable if you know a bit of lua!

Just because minetest is not written in javascript, it does not mean it can't be used. Did you know many of the most complex mods out there make use both of LUA and other languages. I do recommend he learns either of those languages or C+ . The more programming languages you can learn, the more stuff you can make.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 21:59

There is no agreed way to learn. It's mostly practice. The following is just my opinion. Whilst it helps massively to learn lots of languages as it helps free your mind from idioms, you need to start with a language.

The hardest thing about programming isn't the language, it's the way of thinking and breaking down problems. Languages can make it harder by requiring background knowledge.

I'd recommend C, JS or Python as a starting language. C (note, not C++) is good because it teaches you about program flow, assignments, and types without any of the "object orientated programming" stuff other languages have. Javascript and Python are both popular recommendations. Note that Javascript is not Java. It's a completely different language.

Lua is a weird programming language compared to the others. It doesn't have as many resources as it's only used for games, and not really for serious projects. If you want to make a simple mod which doesn't do much, you don't need to program. If you want to make a more complicated mod then you will need to. Keep your expectations low, it's unlikely that you'll be programming amazing mob mods after a few hours.

asanetargoss

by asanetargoss » Wed Mar 23, 2016 23:48

MineYoshi wrote:Friend, please:

Better start with that!

I read through the beginnings of multiple Lua resources. They fell into two categories:
1. They didn't teach programming rigorously (too specialized, didn't explain important concepts).
2. They were targeted at people who already have programming knowledge and understand the technical jargon.

Some people don't need an in-depth tutorial because programming just "clicks" for them. I can't assume that will happen. I want people to learn programming in a way that feels comfortable and welcoming, regardless of their talent. Lua, javascript, and Python are similar languages, so learning any one of them will make it much easier to learn the others. Also, Codecademy is a good resource; I've tried it and I've heard good things.

rubenwardy also makes a lot of excellent points.

gunvolt

IRC: gunvolt
In-game: gunvolt

by gunvolt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 01:22

For everyone talking: I know the syntax of Python and some basic functions, thats about it
I internet regularly! librehomepage.wordpress.com

Return to Minetest General