Making an attractive Android game

indriApollo

GitHub: indriApollo
IRC: indriApollo
In-game: SudoAptGetPlay

Re: Making an attractive Android game

by indriApollo » Thu May 07, 2015 09:39

The controls of the android version suck. What about replacing them with 2 virtual joystiqs/pad ?
Left one gives the direction, right one is used to move the camera.
The center of each pad is used as right/left click.
Jumping would still be a problem tho.

You could add an "aim assist" which centers your cross sight on the focused element

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Jul 04, 2015 00:00

You should really add, and optimize to android the Wuzzy's tutorial subgame+world, it's just awesome.

BrunoMine

GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Wed Jul 08, 2015 17:54

First of all want to congratulate for this wonderful work.
I loved to play by mobile phone.

I found a error.
I can not type in chat because the keyboard is leaving and coming back. (this probably does not occur on all servers, but with specific modifications). Perhaps they should lock the keyboard to not go away, but insert the text correctly.

Feedback
I observed that less powerful mobile phones start to slow down after a while. It would be possible to clear the map of memory loaded every a certain time?

mickle clarck

GitHub: mickleclarck
IRC: mickleclarck
In-game: mickleclarck

by mickle clarck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 19:10

You have to add and optimize in android phone the Wuzzy's tutorial subgame+world. Then try.
Happy gaming!!

HeroOfTheWinds

GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Mon Jul 13, 2015 20:00

Popping out from lurking...

Hmm, I see a lot of debating here rather than actually suggesting mods.

What I would like to see:
For mobs: TenPlus1's Mobs Redo. This is one of the only mobs mods to feature mobs getting knocked back on hit, which is vital to surviving them. Minecraft has knockback, and if we don't, users will get frustrated. (I know this, I've played MT and MC on Android...)

I also will posit that CaveRealms could be very nice on Android. If a decent computer only takes 88 ms to generate a chunk, I don't think it would be that breaking. Besides, we need something to make it worthwhile to dig deep. I dug deep on MC:PE and found bedrock, which was an accomplishment for me. Digging in Minetest... gives you nothing in vanilla.

I too would like to see a stripped down version of Mesecons. Plus, that would actually give us an edge over MC, who still hasn't put Redstone into their Pocket Edition, save for some powered rails and compasses.

If we can't have More Trees in some form, I would like to see Vines at least, since they add a bit of variety.

I think someone should make an Android specific craft guide, modeled after MC:PE's crafting: pick and item and it gets crafted. Making a grid doesn't work too well, especially with stack-splitting.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 02:24

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:If we can't have More Trees in some form, I would like to see Vines at least, since they add a bit of variety.

A smaller form of moretrees (=conveniently sized, normal trees with just diffrent trunks, planks and perhaps leaves) would be great. The huge moretrees are too big for the low view range on mobile devices.

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:I think someone should make an Android specific craft guide, modeled after MC:PE's crafting: pick and item and it gets crafted. Making a grid doesn't work too well, especially with stack-splitting.

Crafting is indeed very difficult on the Android version. Unified_inventory's copy-to-craftgrid functionality might work well here. Android games sometimes have a slider for selecting a number (in this case: how much to craft).
A list of my mods can be found here.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 20:03

3D armor perhaps?

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 21:30

One important thing for the android version would be to fix the size of the window that opens when pressing "config mods".

It's like more than 2 times bigger than the main window for launching the game, it should be ~ the same size. It's so big that it doesn't fit the screen, it forces you to change the GUI scale to a size that is very small even on my 5 inches oneplus one. Just make the textbox shorter, I prefer to be able to config the mods even if I have to scroll more.

Also, The "GUI scale" option shouldn't probably even exist, or at least it should have sensible limits... why in the would would I want to make the GUI be 4x bigger or 1/4 smaller. Imho, just a 2x - 1/2 range would already be enough.

The scale limits being so high means that if I accidentally scale too much (it happened to me) the controls get offscreen and it becomes impossible to operate the slider anymore.. or any button for that matter (I manually edited the configuration file to change the scale back, but I bet a normal user would have just uninstalled right away, I'm not even sure if reinstalling would fix it). Try and read the size of the screen at launch to provide a sensible default and/or change the scale slider to be less extreme. Alternatively, make it be + / - buttons instead of a slider, so that the user has to click on it for every step of the scaling, the problem is that while scaling with the slider the GUI temporarily freezes and you might not know if you moved it too much.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Previous

Return to Minetest General