MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

We want a Minetest or a minecraft 2?

by MineYoshi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 00:06

We want a Minetest or a Minecraft 2?

Well i make this question because these reasons

1.I watched many youtube videos about minetest (Gameplays and other stuff) I am a fan of Minetest and in the videos a 95% of 100% says minetest is a clone of Minecraft. I DONT say Than Minetest is
a Minecraft Clone. Because it's inspired in Infiminer.
The Youtubers says than is a clone but the version 0.0.1 was published in 2011 the same year than minecraft was published.
The people even see to minetest like a Minecraft 2 to pc.
The "chaos" biome.(from wiki minetest)

2.In the forum i watched many topics about the textures of Minecraft(A pack of textures of Minecraft for Minetest. How convert textures from Minecraft to minetest and other stuff)
But i dont know if it's legal use the Minecraft textures for Minetest, but the question here is.
The People want a MineCraft 2 Not a Minetest?.
I watched a mod that makes your inventory looks like the minecraft one ,i have that mod is
good .but the maker of the mod wanted a Minetest like Minecraft?
A image from igur

3.When i am playing Minetest in the school they ask me if i am playing Minecraft P.E (In the school I play with my android phone)
Because that i think if the people than don't know about Minetest says than Minetest it's a Minecraft when in really Minetest isn't they see and want a FREE Minecraft P.E and in Pc they see to Minetest as a FREE and good Minecraft 2.
A image from imgur

4.About the android version, in the reviews of Play Store the people say "It's a good Minecraft2" or say"This game is awesome is a GOOD clone of Minecraft" In really the people says than Minetest is a clone.
But every game than is like Minecraft of build, mine and survive. Everyone says "It's another clone" but who knows about Minetest knows than is inspired more in Infiniminer than Minecraft.
Infinimer screenshot
5.About the game is similar to minecraft .But Minetest have the mese something like the diamond in minetest you dont have have Craft Table (but there is a mod that add it)In minecraft there is .The only mobs were The dungeon master and Oerkki (those were deleted but there is mod of mobs with they).
And the tools you cant mine stone with hand in minetest in minecraft you can but it's slow.
And by last that most matter The graphics and textures ,the minetest original ones are very diferent to the minecraft textures and in graphic level minetest and minecraft looks very diferent at this.
A screenshot of minetest graphics
6.The fans and people make stuff similar to minecraft stuff.
By first place the youtube stuff .
Gameplays:You know than gameplays are for different games ,but some youtubers think
than minetest is likely minecraft and they think than they can do a minetest gameplay likely a new and fresh gameplay with the same idea of the minecraft gameplay.
Mod videos we know than the mods are in minetest and minecraft and in many games but sometimes the videos of mods are similar to the videos of mods of minecraft.
A image from the forum. Mod Mesh beds by jp

Thank you for read. I in really prefer a minetest and not another minecraft clone.
I don't know what you want but you can make a reply and make discussion about this theme.
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: We want a Minetest or a minecraft 2?

by Krock » Sat Jul 18, 2015 17:45

I definitely want Minetest, not something like Mindcraft 2. Minetest's game style is defined by its community:
The mix of "Yay, a free Minecraft" and "Let's improve that Infiniminer game" results in many different areas.
Many people take their ideas (and texture packs) from that M$ game, which isn't something bad: This way it's easier to get new, interesting mods.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Silwncer

by Silwncer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 21:20

Adding a ability to make switches,pressure plates and finding redstone without mods would be great.Same for hungermeter as well in survival mode.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sun Jul 19, 2015 17:15

Krock wrote:I definitely want Minetest, not something like Mindcraft 2. Minetest's game style is defined by its community:
The mix of "Yay, a free Minecraft" and "Let's improve that Infiniminer game" results in many different areas.
Many people take their ideas (and texture packs) from that M$ game, which isn't something bad: This way it's easier to get new, interesting mods.

Yes i think the same i want a minetest too but some minecraft ideas likely the trap (redstone) one are good.
But is good take ideas from MC but minetest should be a original game with their contributors and isn't bad take ideas from MC i only want than Minetest be original
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sun Jul 19, 2015 17:28

Silwncer wrote:Adding a ability to make switches,pressure plates and finding redstone without mods would be great.Same for hungermeter as well in survival mode.

yes i think the same, would be great ,but i think minetest hasn't that style i think than if that be added would be great and awesome some ideas from MC aren't bad but if minetest become minecraft 2 would be bad, minetest would not be original

TBC_x

by TBC_x » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:38

Wikipedia wrote:Warcraft was originally a Dune II clone being an early game in the new real-time strategy genre.

Minetest needs more propagation, not by implicitly publishing articles. But through polish and good-quality mods, which are IMHO polish-capped. If we focus on polishing, all the good things will come on their own, maybe we'll even get Minetest into a spellchecker.

IMHO minetest_game needs to be more exciting as we may lose a big part of audience by...
There was written enough on this topic.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 00:51

TBC_x wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Warcraft was originally a Dune II clone being an early game in the new real-time strategy genre.

Minetest needs more propagation, not by implicitly publishing articles. But through polish and good-quality mods, which are IMHO polish-capped. If we focus on polishing, all the good things will come on their own, maybe we'll even get Minetest into a spellchecker.

IMHO minetest_game needs to be more exciting as we may lose a big part of audience by...
There was written enough on this topic.

We need good mods and a good minetest_game ,fun and exciting.
When i write this topic i only wanted to know what minetest fans users and gamers think about a MineCraft2 (or a Minetest clone of minecraft)because i watch many people saying "minetest its a MC clone no more" (The people , in really sometimes says without know of what they are talking about!!!)
And something than i know, sometimes the game "clones" aren't "clones" only the people thinks that because is a tiny part similar ,as i said. The people , in really sometimes says without know of what they are talking about!!!!!!!!!

Fern_Play67

In-game: Fernplayer1997

by Fern_Play67 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 18:21

I want Minetest. Minecraft is old and the community is horrible.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:27

MineYoshi wrote:We need good mods and a good minetest_game ,fun and exciting

If you want that kind of game, you should try Voxelands, or Freeminer. (I usually don't recomend forks, but whatever.)

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:30

Fern_Play67 wrote:I want Minetest. Minecraft is old and the community is horrible.

Well, Minetest is old too, it was born only a few moths after Minecraft, and well, the community that it has is proper for a game with 10 million players (Minecraft target public is everybody, and not everybody is a nice person).

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:10

Honestly, I don't care.
I just want to have a good and enjoyable game/engine. If peope come up with great ideas on their own, that's great. If people borrow great ideas from other games (including Minecraft), that's great, too. If people borrow stupid ideas from other games, that's stupid.
Does this sound obvious? It should be. ;-)

But to deny the influence of Minecraft on Minetest is silly. It should be pretty obvious. Whether you like it or not.

Pro-tip: Ideas are not subject to copyright.

PS: I never played Minecraft.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 14:21

Wuzzy wrote:Honestly, I don't care.
I just want to have a good and enjoyable game/engine. If peope come up with great ideas on their own, that's great. If people borrow great ideas from other games (including Minecraft), that's great, too. If people borrow stupid ideas from other games, that's stupid.
Does this sound obvious? It should be. ;-)

But to deny the influence of Minecraft on Minetest is silly. It should be pretty obvious. Whether you like it or not.

Pro-tip: Ideas are not subject to copyright.

PS: I never played Minecraft.

it sound obvious but that isn't the idea
it's about if minetest it's original and not another MC i suppose you want a original minetest, no?
Dragonop wrote:
Fern_Play67 wrote:I want Minetest. Minecraft is old and the community is horrible.

Well, Minetest is old too, it was born only a few moths after Minecraft, and well, the community that it has is proper for a game with 10 million players (Minecraft target public is everybody, and not everybody is a nice person).

everthing with MC is ads no more and well i suppose minetest and minecraft are "brothers"
they are different but are same at the time everyone is original

Samson1

IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 15:05

Who wants Minecraft! Minetest is better!
MT name: Samson1

MC name: MoJo4000

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 17:01

Samson1 wrote:Who wants Minecraft! Minetest is better!

Compleatly

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Tue Aug 18, 2015 18:11

Personally I think it's a silly question.
We shouldn't care how similar or different Minetest ends up being to Minecraft. There are some things Minecraft did well and some things it did badly. There are some excellent Minecraft mods and some awful ones. We should feel free to borrow features which worked well, and learn from features which didn't.

I think people spend too much time talking about Minecraft - either complaining that Minetest is too similar or complaining that it's too different. We should focus on Minetest, and aim to make the best damn game we can. There are lots of things which still need to be improved and added, and like it or not, some of those are going to end up being similar to Minecraft for technical reasons.

If you really want Minetest to be different from Minecraft, then start figuring out how to do things better than Minecraft.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 18:49

Sadly, people come to MT looking for "Free Minecraft" (I did too)

But I think that your right, we need to focus on MT, not MC.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sun Aug 23, 2015 19:36

ArguablySane wrote:Personally I think it's a silly question.
We shouldn't care how similar or different Minetest ends up being to Minecraft. There are some things Minecraft did well and some things it did badly. There are some excellent Minecraft mods and some awful ones. We should feel free to borrow features which worked well, and learn from features which didn't.

I think people spend too much time talking about Minecraft - either complaining that Minetest is too similar or complaining that it's too different. We should focus on Minetest, and aim to make the best damn game we can. There are lots of things which still need to be improved and added, and like it or not, some of those are going to end up being similar to Minecraft for technical reasons.

If you really want Minetest to be different from Minecraft, then start figuring out how to do things better than Minecraft.

Yeah i think that, i think MC is something likely a example for made Minetest , i love and play Minetest not because i think it's free (LOL! i dont care if a game is free) i in really love coding and programing and with minetest i learn many things , i amn't saying than i think "Minetest is a tutorial" only than i get fun coding and testing things than i do no more.
And yes the reality is sad sometimes (when i say this, i think in this phrase "i going to face the reality, when put cute you say me. Something from Mafalda) Minetest is a bit similar to MC ,and well because that, the errors that MC going to make ,Minetest shouldn't make it.
benrob0329 wrote:Sadly, people come to MT looking for "Free Minecraft" (I did too)

But I think that your right, we need to focus on MT, not MC.

Yes ,the important thing here is Minetest , and well minetest is open code and because that is free (i don't care if a game is free) but that shouldn't be the best of Minetest , the best thing of Minetest should be the experience and fun of the game and the idea of "build, craft and survive".

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:52

Considering that Minetest is an engine and Minecraft is just a game, they are already very different.

The thing is that there are many people who actually do want a "Minecraft 2", and they use the Minetest engine for that. IMHO, that's a perfectly good thing to do, since it offers several advantages over minecraft.

But Minetest also can allow for completely different gameplay.

Imho, minetest_game is already too similar to minecraft. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but I do believe that we could benefit from a different subgame with entirely different gameplay. I don't mean just bundling together some extra content (whether the content is polished or not, it still won't change the gameplay), but changing some fundamentals that make it actually feel different.

Otherwise you are not really setting yourself apart, it will still be a "Minecraft 2" if it's just a "Minecraft + polished mods".

But again, being regarded as a "Minecraft 2" is not a bad thing, imho. So if there's plan to make something different just make it in a different subgame (and bundle it with the engine if it's polished enough) and leave minetest_game on its same direction.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 15:30

Ferk wrote:Considering that Minetest is an engine and Minecraft is just a game, they are already very different.

The thing is that there are many people who actually do want a "Minecraft 2", and they use the Minetest engine for that. IMHO, that's a perfectly good thing to do, since it offers several advantages over minecraft.

But Minetest also can allow for completely different gameplay.

Imho, minetest_game is already too similar to minecraft. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but I do believe that we could benefit from a different subgame with entirely different gameplay. I don't mean just bundling together some extra content (whether the content is polished or not, it still won't change the gameplay), but changing some fundamentals that make it actually feel different.

Otherwise you are not really setting yourself apart, it will still be a "Minecraft 2" if it's just a "Minecraft + polished mods".

But again, being regarded as a "Minecraft 2" is not a bad thing, imho. So if there's plan to make something different just make it in a different subgame (and bundle it with the engine if it's polished enough) and leave minetest_game on its same direction.

I think Minetest and MC only should be diferent , and yes sometimes the "MC 2" is a good idea a game where you can modify it and add everthing you want (open code) and yes but i think Minetest is good and well the gameplay is similar to MC but at thetime where the two games are original without mods they are diferent to who see the two games Likely a Inspector.
IMHO i think minetest_game is a bit similar to MC and yes many people think "Minetest is a FREE MC 2 yay!" but i think Minetest should be diferent that MC and yes Minetest is a bit similar but Minetest should be in a big part diferent to MC ,i think many people want than Minetest be ORIGINAL and yes some great at the first time were clones but with the time that games are ORIGINAL and good games.

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 17:26

I agree. I love the originality. The ability to make mods is awesome. Minecraft has some good ideas that would be nice for minetest. I personally think its nearly impossible to make it a true minecraft clone because of all the contributors and their contributions. Long live immagination, originality, and true minetest!
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 05, 2015 18:20

swordpaint12 wrote:I agree. I love the originality. The ability to make mods is awesome. Minecraft has some good ideas that would be nice for minetest. I personally think its nearly impossible to make it a true minecraft clone because of all the contributors and their contributions. Long live immagination, originality, and true minetest!

Yep, that's the thing i think many people than play Minetest want that ORIGINALITY!

Return to Minetest General