Remember... Minetest it's Minetest!

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Remember... Minetest it's Minetest!

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 12, 2016 00:44

please.

I recently see many posts and discussions about MC and other games, what's Minetest still mising over that games, that makes me think , the Minetest community is thinking Minetest wants to be better than MC or Terraria.

IMHO Minetest is Minetest , isn't Mc or other games, i think better don't compare Minetest with other games, simply because is Open-Source, open for all, and FREE, the other games are closed-source and you need to pay for it!

Minetest don't have ads in other sites, and don't have any famous youtuber that play it! (Like PopularMMOs)

Because that isn't so famous.

Normally Minetest was a game that was free, a bit same to MC, but i think many people here, comes thinking this is a free MC, when they see isn't so same, they want to make mods and subgames that be very samely to MC (that isn't bad, only i think Minetest is Minetest not MC)

Minetest it's a great game, but i will like it more, if Minetest it's more likely Minetest.

Some people will like Minetest more like a free version of MC!

But please keep in mind, Minetest it's Minetest.

If you want to compare Minetest, please keep in mind something, Minetest is a lot better, Is likely Windows(MC) vs Linux(Minetest), the most people says Windows is better...
But who in really knows about what is a computer, says Linux is better, because you simply don't need to piracy software, it's free, but in really isn't better because that, is because simply is more fast, powerful and reliable OS!

Windows haves too many bugs and crashes!

The point of this, is about remember we are Minetest not Minecraft!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

Re: Remember... Minetest it's Minetest!

by Esteban » Sat Mar 12, 2016 01:37

The reason that people keep bringing up MC is that is used as a way to push Minetest to be better. Whether we like it or not, MC, Terraria are our competition.

Minetest has been proved to have potential to be better by the way it's built and it's open-source nature. I believe MT, if given the chance, should be better than the rest of sandbox games out there. The reason many people look for MC-like mods is not necessarily for it to be identical to MC. The vanilla game falls flat compared to the things the engine can do and its very barren, so people look here for content.

However, looking how discussions go, those who have the will to push this game forward have little to no ways to improve things, by lack of knowledge how to do them. Ideas are great, but it's needed people that can actually do them. The main Devs won't place effort unless there is something to work with. Also, we are still with the struggle of whether MT is an engine or a game and what to focus on...

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 12, 2016 16:05

Anyways, MC or terraria are good games, anyways is better don't compare Minetest with other games, i like more a Minetest that's created without any wishes of beat MC, IMHO Minetest is better if is developed with calm, and without any preoccupation about Be better than MC...
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt

asanetargoss

by asanetargoss » Sat Mar 12, 2016 20:14

Minecraft and minetest_game are similar games. They are both 3D, randomly generated, destructible worlds where resources are obtained by digging blocks, and new items can be obtained by combining resources into shapes on a 3x3 crafting grid. Both have farming, caves, per-block lighting, day/night cycles, torches, chests, furnaces, tools with limited durability, and similar water physics.

Minecraft Forge and Minetest have similar modding capabilities. Minecraft also has bytecode injection, but Minetest is open-source, plus most of the gameplay aspects of Minetest are written in lua anyways. I know this because I have programming experience, and I have tried writing mods for both games.

Given the similarities, it is natural, and indeed advantageous, for the two programs to share ideas and technology where possible. (Sort of how cross-platform programs can be compiled to run on both Windows and Linux, although that's a bad analogy from a technical standpoint.)

Some of the features people ask to be brought over from Minecraft are terrible ideas (ex: command blocks) but other times perfectly good ideas are shot down because they are "too much like Minecraft." This is understandable. Not everyone here is a programmer and/or game developer, plus everyone has different visions for the game. Generally, I think it's good to have an open mind.

Also, Minecraft's "fame" is part of the reason it has multiple high-quality mods (eg: Thaumcraft, Industrial Craft, Terrafirmacraft). There are clearly many programmers who think Minecraft modding is worth their time despite the fact that it's a pain in the butt. Some of these programmers may see some appeal in Minetest modding (although the well-known ones might not, since their free time is mostly spent working hard on their existing mods). So for this reason, comparing the game engines is also useful, as it may help attract new programmers. (A similar argument applies to map makers, although the pull is less strong as most of the appeal in Minetest is in its underlying structure.)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Mon Mar 14, 2016 00:29

Well, it's true, anyways Minetest have mods API that means that make mods is a lot easier!

As you said!

K1ck

GitHub: k1ckcyph3r

by K1ck » Mon Mar 14, 2016 22:32

MineYoshi I disagree in one point with you. The comparison isn't bad as log as it is for constructive purpouses, in this particular case to improve the game, but it is important to notice something you said: "minetest is minetest" and it have to keep it own identity.

The great thing is that we can improve it suggesting, reporting issues/bugs and modding since this is not a famous game as MC, terraria or so the devs can read almost all our suggestions and stuff...there are a lot of stuff I love from MT over other games and that's is because of comparison I make.

Besides, there are a lot of good stuff that other games have that can be added to MT game (via mods or in the core) without the need to make MT a MC/Terraria/any other game clone.

If we compare the mod api MT is way too far (for better) than a bunchs of games out there, even I have been playing a little tweaking some mods (I'm not an experienced MC/MT player but a lot with crafting/building/survival games).

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Mon Mar 14, 2016 22:36

K1ck wrote:MineYoshi I disagree in one point with you. The comparison isn't bad as log as it is for constructive purpouses, in this particular case to improve the game, but it is important to notice something you said: "minetest is minetest" and it have to keep it own identity.

The great thing is that we can improve it suggesting, reporting issues/bugs and modding since this is not a famous game as MC, terraria or so the devs can read almost all our suggestions and stuff...there are a lot of stuff I love from MT over other games and that's is because of comparison I make.

Besides, there are a lot of good stuff that other games have that can be added to MT game (via mods or in the core) without the need to make MT a MC/Terraria/any other game clone.

If we compare the mod api MT is way too far (for better) than a bunchs of games out there, even I have been playing a little tweaking some mods (I'm not an experienced MC/MT player but a lot with crafting/building/survival games).

+1
Constructive criticism is needed to move any project forward!

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 14:20

+100

I agree with K1ck!

Return to Minetest General