Minetest 0.5.x???

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Minetest 0.5.x???

by MineYoshi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 20:48

Justly talking about...

-I know the developers going to release it when they think it's ready, but i don't know...

In my opinion Minetest needs to pull many things and fix many error before going to 0.5...
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Minetest 0.5.x???

by Krock » Tue Jul 12, 2016 07:18

MineYoshi wrote:JIn my opinion Minetest needs to pull many things and fix many error before going to 0.5...

That's logical. Without bugfixes there would be no reason for bumping the version to 0.5.x.
We had these discussions so many times before. However, if you really want to open a new one about this theme:
Before we reach 0.5.0 (or directly 5.0) there will be, in my opinion, at least two 0.4.x versions. Going to 0.5.0 would offer the possibility of removing deprecated functions - which could break some popular but not maintained mods.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Minetest 0.5.x???

by Wuzzy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 15:43

IMO at this stage it doesn't really matter if the next version is called 0.5.0 or 0.4.15.
As far I know, the meaning of the version number is not really defined, not even vaguely.
The difference between the 2nd and 3rd number seems to be non-existant.
So the choice of whether the 2nd or the 3rd number will be increased will likely be pretty arbitrary.
And it will stay this way as long the meaning of each of the numbers is defined.
I can only guess the 2nd number is for “more significant” changes than for the 3rd number. But what constitutes a “significant” change will be very subjective.
On GitHub I found the milestone “0.5”:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/milestone/5
I am pretty sure 0.5.0 will not be released for sure as long any issues are left in this list. So maybe the 2nd number in Minetest is reserved for some minestone-kind type-of-thingy. The milestone also mentions possible incompatibilities, so this suggests another criteria for increasing the 2nd number. But this is all just guesswork from my side.

As it stands now, the Minetest version number is mostly just there to identify which version is newer. Not less and not more. And any discussion whether to increase the 2nd or 3rd number is pretty much pointless at this stage. Also, I think users should normally not dictate version numbers. Unless the version numbering system is really fucked up, maybe. But this is clearly not the case for Minetest.

This is not an “official” developer opinion, but this is how I see and understand it.

What is much more important is consistent numbering. E.g. it would be very bad if Minetest developers suddenly release version -34.249a+build-a4fde40. ;-)
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Return to Minetest General