Server Terminal

trev

In-game: trev

Server Terminal

by trev » Sun Aug 14, 2016 00:01

Hello. Hopefully this is in the right place. This is my first topic.

I see on the changelog for 0.4.14 that an ncurses server terminal was added. I have basic knowledge of what ncurses is, but I don't really understand what changed. I thought that the update was adding a terminal that you could type commands into while running. However, this hasn't worked for me. Is the feature what I thought it was? If so, am I doing something incorrectly? I am typing into stdin on gnome-terminal, then pressing enter. It does capture the input, but after return it prints newlines rather than, say *Issued Command... I am starting to think that I completely don't get what the ncurses addition was.

I have compiled the latest git recently. Ubuntu 14.04.

tl;dr: What does the changelog entry "Add server side ncurses terminal" mean?
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Re: Server Terminal

by ExeterDad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 01:23

I don't know all that can be done from the server terminal, but it's very useful.
If you launch with the --terminal option, it will look very much like just running minetest server from the terminal. But.. now you can run commands, chat, shutdown or control the server.
So if you have your name in the minetest.conf as owner, you can /Hello everyone (chat) as your name that all can see, but you are not logged in as a player. You can ban people, kick them, grant privs. You can do server commands. I don't know the limitations of the commands you may do, but I believe you can do the largest percentage of commands as you would from chat, if you were logged in as a player. Obviously teleporting yourself as your character is not actually in world to teleport.
As our server is headless, I enjoy being able to ssh into it, and launching minetest server with the --terminal option with screen so I don't need to keep the ssh terminal open all the time. I can use screen -r to re attach, do some kind of minetest command and then bail out again.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

trev

In-game: trev

Re: Server Terminal

by trev » Fri Aug 19, 2016 19:33

Sorry for the late reply. I've been quite busy. :)

I tried the --terminal switch and I really like it. That's pretty cool. Thank you for explaining the option!
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

Return to Minetest General