How can the minetest community be made bigger?

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

Re: How can the minetest community be made bigger?

by firefox » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:50

burli wrote:while the rest instantly compare it to MC and via their own frame of mind as well as a lot of misinformation out there regarding to Minetest as a "copy" of MC, etc..

actually that's how i came to Minetest :P

when i saw minecrap for the first time, it looked like a fusion of Zelda adventure and building blocks.
that time i was more into strategy and RPG games so i didn't like it.
then it became very popular and i wanted to try it too...
just at that time it was taken over by Microsoft and cost ~12€, and there wasn't even a free demo to test if it runs on my ubuntu laptop.
the i remembered my Linux Gaming Mantra: "every good game has an open-source clone that is just as good or better because it's constantly improved and developd :P"
so i searched for a minecrap clone and found minetest =(^.^)=
The End

Prakustra

In-game: pramudya

by Prakustra » Fri Dec 30, 2016 03:42

"Be a proud minetest player" is the thing!! :D

hajo

by hajo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 16:25

Prakustra wrote:"Be a proud minetest player" is the thing!! :D

While promotion is good, helping to improve is even better.

For example, Wuzzy's help/documentation-system needs more help.
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 14:08

Prakustra wrote:"Be a proud minetest player" is the thing!! :D

It's a small thing but yes it helps
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Vindelle_Pounze

by Vindelle_Pounze » Tue Jan 10, 2017 06:48

Hello all!
Well, seems I need to start again. My internet connection refused to work, maybe. Slightly pissed now, because my "well-considered" post is gone now.
So I'll put it short.
New user, no thread found for saying hello, but spent quite some time with trying to get into the Minetest_game. Tried about two years ago, was very bored (compared to Minecraft it felt empty). Quit, came back now, for some days now I'm trying to find the mods necessary to make this a game for me. (Probably lots of "Newbies" have the same problem)

Let me quickly introduce myself (like others, I did not find a thread for this).
I am interested in computer stuff, have some very basic knowledge of programming in Java and Python, had some first contact with TurboPascal when I was in school (which is quite a long time ago)
I hope to try some modding in LUA with this game but I am totally not sure if it will be more than the hope or some ideas. Not sure if I will stay here or will be able (i.e. find time, want to, you know...laziness and so on) to contribute much.
But after reading a lot in the forums, searching for information regarding mods and stuff, I felt to post here- this thread is the most fitting I could find for some complaints and maybe some of it can even be considered constructive criticism.

I will not quote any particular post or user, but I'll add some links to threads which made me post here.
Also, this is not meant as a reply to any post in this thread, just some thoughts.

There seem to be some problems (if Minetest is actually wanting to grow a larger community or popularity):

-right now it is more or less for geeks
-it is oss, which is great, but not exactly relevant for the average user (who cares to really check the code? who is really able to modify or improve it to ones likes?- exactly, just some freaks (meant in a good way))
-it still feels like "where is the game?" - if not modded! (if I'm not all for creative [and even then, for lots of people (i.e. players, not modders) Minecraft creative offers more]) - just an assumption but I believe users "would" come from minecraft

reasons could be:
    -"ohh, the money I would spent for two (granted, now it'd be four) packs of cigarettes I will totally not pay for a game that entertains me for like hundreds or even thousands of hours" ;P
    -"ohh, Microsoft (some probably weird thinking people [in this forums as well as in the webs in general] like to refer to M$ or MicroShit, Windoze (that old, not been funny even ages ago) or Minecrap, respectively--which will be my next point to possibly grow the community]) bought Minecraft (Mojang) {after the game reached its horizon (sellings-wise)} so I can totally not support this (anymore) --bullshit, see above (average user?)

Some of my thoughts to hopefully help the topic (NOT directed at any specific member):
    - try not being that "LEETZ!!111!!" (as mentioned above). I like my Linux box (Arch now, Gentoo for learning- out of interest, still having a Windows (10) installation: very rarely using it, but have to admit (after some tinkering with settings, especially regarding security, networking stuff, social-network-auto-sharing-bullshit) it IS one (maybe THE best OS for the standard end user [it f*****g just works, fast, reliable, nearly no tinkering needed after first installation]- so bitching about Windows users (while often enough using Ubuntu yourself m-/) just makes you look dumb and makes people think "wow, a game for retarded freaks, better not go there"

-wiki and mods need to be cleaned up, I am still trying to figure out which mods work well together (not that easy, lots of "old", sort of abandoned (but revived by other users) mods are out there and there is little information about them (beforehand, like a main post in the mods section of the forums; documentation of the mods is usually good, though) ---> I hope to be able to contribute in this regard later, but still need to figure out lots of things for myself. Plus, there is some really promising looking mod development going on right now, (new Mob-AI-API, e.g.), that could make lots of stuff obsolete, so some waiting is needed anyways.

-Newbies will consider this a Minecraft clone (which at first glance, and second,... well,...you know what comes next;)...IS). It is a good one, though. There are advantages, like it's faster, C++ instead of Java (to my little knowledge that can only be a good thing). There are disadvantages, like, it's way behind feature-wise (of course it is, a small group of free developers do it for fun, for free, in their free time). But still (at least in the eyes of the user) it is a minecraft clone. All the denying that and telling not to compare it...of course it'll be compared to Minecraft, the game Minetest is "inspired" by, the game that sold over 1.000.000 copies even before Microsoft bought Mojang.

Promised links to forums which helped me write this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9505&start=75&hilit=controls
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9172&hilit=compare+minetest+minecraft
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15233&hilit=compare+minetest+minecraft

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 16:50

Vindelle_Pounze wrote:Hello all!
Well, seems I need to start again. My internet connection refused to work, maybe. Slightly pissed now, because my "well-considered" post is gone now.
So I'll put it short.
New user, no thread found for saying hello, but spent quite some time with trying to get into the Minetest_game. Tried about two years ago, was very bored (compared to Minecraft it felt empty). Quit, came back now, for some days now I'm trying to find the mods necessary to make this a game for me. (Probably lots of "Newbies" have the same problem)

Let me quickly introduce myself (like others, I did not find a thread for this).
I am interested in computer stuff, have some very basic knowledge of programming in Java and Python, had some first contact with TurboPascal when I was in school (which is quite a long time ago)
I hope to try some modding in LUA with this game but I am totally not sure if it will be more than the hope or some ideas. Not sure if I will stay here or will be able (i.e. find time, want to, you know...laziness and so on) to contribute much.
But after reading a lot in the forums, searching for information regarding mods and stuff, I felt to post here- this thread is the most fitting I could find for some complaints and maybe some of it can even be considered constructive criticism.

I will not quote any particular post or user, but I'll add some links to threads which made me post here.
Also, this is not meant as a reply to any post in this thread, just some thoughts.

There seem to be some problems (if Minetest is actually wanting to grow a larger community or popularity):

-right now it is more or less for geeks
-it is oss, which is great, but not exactly relevant for the average user (who cares to really check the code? who is really able to modify or improve it to ones likes?- exactly, just some freaks (meant in a good way))
-it still feels like "where is the game?" - if not modded! (if I'm not all for creative [and even then, for lots of people (i.e. players, not modders) Minecraft creative offers more]) - just an assumption but I believe users "would" come from minecraft

reasons could be:
    -"ohh, the money I would spent for two (granted, now it'd be four) packs of cigarettes I will totally not pay for a game that entertains me for like hundreds or even thousands of hours" ;P
    -"ohh, Microsoft (some probably weird thinking people [in this forums as well as in the webs in general] like to refer to M$ or MicroShit, Windoze (that old, not been funny even ages ago) or Minecrap, respectively--which will be my next point to possibly grow the community]) bought Minecraft (Mojang) {after the game reached its horizon (sellings-wise)} so I can totally not support this (anymore) --bullshit, see above (average user?)

Some of my thoughts to hopefully help the topic (NOT directed at any specific member):
    - try not being that "LEETZ!!111!!" (as mentioned above). I like my Linux box (Arch now, Gentoo for learning- out of interest, still having a Windows (10) installation: very rarely using it, but have to admit (after some tinkering with settings, especially regarding security, networking stuff, social-network-auto-sharing-bullshit) it IS one (maybe THE best OS for the standard end user [it f*****g just works, fast, reliable, nearly no tinkering needed after first installation]- so bitching about Windows users (while often enough using Ubuntu yourself m-/) just makes you look dumb and makes people think "wow, a game for retarded freaks, better not go there"

-wiki and mods need to be cleaned up, I am still trying to figure out which mods work well together (not that easy, lots of "old", sort of abandoned (but revived by other users) mods are out there and there is little information about them (beforehand, like a main post in the mods section of the forums; documentation of the mods is usually good, though) ---> I hope to be able to contribute in this regard later, but still need to figure out lots of things for myself. Plus, there is some really promising looking mod development going on right now, (new Mob-AI-API, e.g.), that could make lots of stuff obsolete, so some waiting is needed anyways.

-Newbies will consider this a Minecraft clone (which at first glance, and second,... well,...you know what comes next;)...IS). It is a good one, though. There are advantages, like it's faster, C++ instead of Java (to my little knowledge that can only be a good thing). There are disadvantages, like, it's way behind feature-wise (of course it is, a small group of free developers do it for fun, for free, in their free time). But still (at least in the eyes of the user) it is a minecraft clone. All the denying that and telling not to compare it...of course it'll be compared to Minecraft, the game Minetest is "inspired" by, the game that sold over 1.000.000 copies even before Microsoft bought Mojang.

Promised links to forums which helped me write this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9505&start=75&hilit=controls
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9172&hilit=compare+minetest+minecraft
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15233&hilit=compare+minetest+minecraft

Yeah I also think they don't support the basic user I'm also really tired of this Linux is better stuff also I hate mob ai mods just add a god damn AI in the engine already!

but apart from that minetest has alot of potential (it can even kill Minecraft but it just needs more popularity and programers and work)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 17:46

• Fix bugs
  • Make all controls adjustable, make all actions player can make bindable with any mouse/keyboard button
  • Change name of the game from current crappy one. Yes, I understand celeron55 tested his skills and prooved he can do something like MineCraft, and he succeeded. Well, it is time to go out from basement laboratory and do not only tests.
  • Start versioning from 1.0. Better to use versioning as Firefox does — just one integer.
  • Translate it to all languages. I am russian. But everything in my game is in english. Well I know english but many people do not, or know it poorly. It holds back from using it and make large national community.

By the way, often I post here only with aid of translator.
Last edited by Sergey on Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:29, edited 2 times in total.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 18:09

Sergey wrote:Start versioning from 1.0. Better to use versioning as Firefox does — just one integer.

That's 3 numbers
Attachments
firefox.png
firefox.png (60.6 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 18:14

One integer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_version_history

Rarely they make intermediate release with critical bug fix that add x.0.1

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:02

Start versioning from 1.0.

No, we should not lie to ourself. 1.0 usually means “stable” and/or “finished” and it is generally not a good idea to break with this convention. Minetest is far from being finished. Many core features are missing, many bugs are unfixed, there are tons of usability problems, a lot of things are still in flux, and so on. Minetest is obvious alpha-stage software and not even close to beta.

Better to use versioning as Firefox does — just one integer.

LOL, version with only one integer? This is the dumbest idea ever. Also: Firefox versioning is braindead, I heard many add-on developers have constant pain because this makes dependency management very painful. You can't do serious dependency management if there is a “major” release every few week. What this forces add-on developers to do is to “update” their add-ons only to bump some number in a metadata file to say that their add-on still works for a few “major” versions to come. If they don't do this, their add-on becomes “incompatible” even if it would still work. It's only Firefox which prevents the add-on from being loaded because of version number mismatch. This is so freaking dumb. What did they smoke? This “major” release nonsense causes constant breakage of add-ons for no reason. And these “major” releases are rarely anything major at all.

Minetest's versioning system is not perfect but hardly broken. Your suggestion makes no sense. I think using SemVer would be an improvement because it is well-defined and useful for dependency management. I already suggested it, core devs were not opposed to it (but they apparently did not want to use it so far).

Translate it to all languages. I am russian.

Then why is the Russian translation still not at 100%? :P
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:09

• Bugs. Fix them.
  • Controls. Make all actions player can make bindable with any mouse/keyboard button.
  • Name of the game. Change it from current crappy one. Yes, I understand celeron55 tested his skills and prooved he can do something like MineCraft, and he succeeded. Well, it is time to go out from basement laboratory and do not only tests.
  • Versioning. Start versioning from 1.0. Better to use versioning as Firefox does — just one integer. (not so important)
  • Localization. Translate it to other languages. I am russian. But everything in my game is in english. Well I know english but many people do not, or know it poorly. It holds back from using it and make large national community.
  • Forum engine. Change it to something more modern and convenient.
    I would like to have ability to:
    • like (vote up) post
    • dislike (vote down) post
    • use hashtags (make words as keywords) to search for all posts containing them
    • scroll down instead of pagination
    • sort posts by different criteria (by time (old/new posts first), by votes (more useful posts first), and so on)
  • Wiki. Fill it with interesting and latest material. Do not abandon it. For example, wiki for ArchLinux has articles for almost every aspect of using that distro.
  • Changelog. Record all changes made in the game. There must be changelog in wiki for every version.
  • Roadmap. Outline all changes that are going to be implemented in future releases.
  • Help system. Now pressing [F1] will show/hide HUD. But help system must be shown. And the more detailed help system will be the better.
Last edited by Sergey on Wed Mar 08, 2017 16:29, edited 20 times in total.

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:17

Wuzzy wrote:LOL, version with only one integer? This is the dumbest idea ever.

OK. Сalm down. Version number or numbers is not significant of what must be done. I agree.
If all other problems are solved, people won't care what number(s) are in version.

Wuzzy wrote:Minetest's versioning system is not perfect but hardly broken. Your suggestion makes no sense. I think using SemVer would be an improvement because it is well-defined and useful for dependency management. I already suggested it, core devs were not opposed to it.

Wuzzy wrote:Then why is the Russian translation still not at 100%? :P

Then why is the SemVer is not used :P

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:46

Sergey wrote:Translate it to all languages. I am russian. But everything in my game is in english. Well I know english but many people do not, or know it poorly. It holds back from using it and make large national community.

https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/min ... netest/ru/

item description and formspec translation is coming soon (it's more complicated as it's server side as well)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:52

rubenwardy: Can you please elaborate / link to PR/commit?
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 20:54

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 21:24

Aggregate information in one root place eg forum header place.
For example IRC folks give me useful link like https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues so lets put it on forum's page.

Now we have fractioned data in path:
minetest.net -> forum
wiki -> IRC
IRC -> IRC logs
wiki -> Git
youtube
etc

It's difficult for newbees because needs to be read, navigate, bookmarked etc that given low usability factor )

Root aggregation page must be that is where newbee stay all times so it's forum page IMHO.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

burli

by burli » Fri Mar 10, 2017 21:30

rubenwardy wrote:coming soon™ https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5274

Does that mean intllib will be unnecessary?

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 21:45

burli wrote:There are so many tiny, but annoying issues like the new water sounds. It is great to finally have some kind of sound, but the implementation is crap. There is no splash sound if you jump in the water, if you walk on the ground the walking sound is played instead of the water sound. If the water sound is played then sometimes it is played multiple times, some times no sound is played at all. It's silent. And if you dive I would expect a diving sound

In my environmental sounds mod all of this is implemented, and quite accurately (and efficiently) too. It accounts for diving, splashing, floating, swimming, and resurfacing. It's kind of bewildering why liquid sounds still aren't supported natively within the engine.

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Sat Mar 11, 2017 16:50

Have dorm parties at college. Get your whole dorm building on a Minetest server the day y'all finish your last finals.
God's not dead!
I actually did mine walls before I started playing this game....
Mods, Servers, and My Youtube Channel
Let us remember Just Test on April 16.
"Together, we will make America great again!" --President Trump
Please vote for the next video I should do here
I'm the most rottenist potato in the fridge.
Copyright (c) 2017 Baggins Inc. (tm) All rights reserved.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 03:18

On home page draw table that show difference between some sandbox games.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
                      Minetest    Minecraft    ...craft
mg as mod                Y           ???        ...
mg >1 one time           Y           ???        ...
shadows                sad :(         Y         ...
write&play               Y            N         ...
multigame                Y            N         ...
etc

Community is fractional so sort table with fractions eg Scripters, pureGamers etc.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Previous

Return to Minetest General