Minetest clone thread

redblade7

IRC: redblade7 redblade bleakfire
In-game: redblade7

Minetest clone thread

by redblade7 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 20:49

Hi,

I thought we could create a thread on the forum where we could report Minetest clones and counterfeits. The original plan was to create forks of things on github and have them merged, kind of confusing when you can just use the forum that anyone can reply to and potential players can read. (See the original github idea here.)

Existence confirmed, legal:

* Cartoon Craft - Castle World PE (Pocket Edition) Mobile client. Developer: RZQ Dev. Ads: Unknown. Found on Google Play. Attributions to Minetest and its LGPL code. Lists included Minetest mods on Google Play page. (More info)

* MultiCraft - Free Miner! Mobile client. Developer: MultiCraft Official. Adware. Attributions to Minetest and its LGPL license, includes Creative Commons and proprietary code. Found on Google Play. (More info)

* PixelCraft - 3D Survival! Mobile client. Developer: MultiCraft Project. Ads: Unknown. MultiCraft fork which gives credit to both MultiCraft and Minetest. Includes LGPL, CC-BY-SA, and CC-BY-NC-SA code, though it claims to be open-source on the Google Play page. Found on Google Play. (More info)

* Worldcraft -- Free Exploration Mobile client. Developer: FunKetApp. Found on Google Play, denies affiliation with Mojang, gives credit to Minetest and notes LGPL license (More info)

Existence confirmed, illegal:

* MultiCraft - Minetest France Mobile client. Developer: Salbei. Ads: Unknown. Found on Google Play. Attributes Minetest without license given, but impersonates MultiCraft, and claims "Multicraft" (which one?) is LGPL. "Multicraft is the only application to take advantage of the system Multiserv Minetest France servers." (More info)

Existence confirmed, legality unknown:

* Multicraft Miner Exploration Mobile client. Found on Google Play. Developer: 四川百秦科技有限公司 (I can't read Chinese). Ads: Unknown, "Free (It's FREE in [sic] a limited time!)". Connection to MultiCraft unknown. (More info)

* 我的方塊世界Exploration Craft:模擬生存創造 (Google Translate: "My Craft World: Exploration Survival Creation") Mobile client. Found on Google Play. Developer: 四川百秦科技有限公司 (I can't read Chinese). Ads: Unknown. Appears to be connected to Multicraft Miner Exploration (and is developed by the same people). (More info)

* Voxel Craft : Castle Build PE (Pocket Edition) Mobile client. Developer: Rev of Voxel Dev. Ads: Unknown. Found on Google Play. Looks like it copy-pasted the description of Cartoon Craft - Castle World PE, and replaced a few words, with "Cartoon Craft Pocket Edition" present in one pasted sentence. The screenshot shows unified_inventory. Attributes Minetest properly, but connection to Cartoon Craft PE unknown. (More info)

Existence unconfirmed, legal:

* (none known to exist under this category)

Existence unconfirmed, illegal:

* Counterfeit "Minecraft". A mobile "Minecraft" client containing ads and a "full version". This client was being used on my Creative Gardens server in early May 2016 by an individual who had never heard of Minetest. He had supposedly downloaded this on Google Play, and when asked if it was Multicraft or Cartooncraft, said it wasn't and that it was called "Minecraft". (More info here.)

Existence unconfirmed, legality unknown:

* (Unknown name) This is apparently an unofficial mobile client a user on my new The Valleys server was using. The placement of "three dots" (presumably with the same function and ordering as the official mobile client) on this client was in the bottom right instead of the center left. Clicking these three dots would supposedly cause a crash. Unknown origin of the app, and I have not seen the user since the complaint (and the user didn't speak good English), this may be updated as more info becomes known.

* Mineworld Page went down so I can't look it up. But I do remember it being Chinese and having a servers.mineworld.com which mirrored ours, and a forum of its own. Not to be confused with Mine World, a separate game on Google Play, whose developer's home page is now a redirect to scareware PCKeeper.

Unrelated apps with similar names, legal:

* Mine Test: Minecraft Quiz A quiz on the game Minecraft. (More info)

Unrelated apps with similar names, illegal:

Unrelated apps with similar names, legality unknown:

Last edited by redblade7 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
-redblade7
Admin of:

* THE CREATIVE GARDENS (Creative Mode server)
* THE VALLEYS (Sandbox Server)
* THE DIGITAL FARMS (Pizza-like server with protection and emphasis on farming)

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest clone thread

by sorcerykid » Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:07

Here are illicit clones of Minetest for the iPad.

Buildcraft by Playstarz Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buildcr ... 72768?mt=8

Worldcraft 2 by Playstarz Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worldcr ... 53132?mt=8

Worldcraft Pocket Edition by Playstarz Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worldcr ... 49324?mt=8

Exploration by Jingjing Feng
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/explora ... 42020?mt=8
(this one is particularly amusing because the first screenshot is of spawn on JT2 server)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 23:31

sorcerykid wrote:Here are illicit clones of Minetest for the iPad.

Is that what one of the mobile interfaces look like, with the Chevron logo in the middle? Then there are plenty more on Google Play. I don't play the mobile, it's too hard for me to do anything but jump around until my tablet gets hot and the game crashes.
-redblade7
Admin of:

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 22:19

How can you NOT mention Freeminer and Voxelands? :P
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 22:29

Wuzzy wrote:How can you NOT mention Freeminer and Voxelands? :P

I was just going by pictures I was familiar with. I don't remember the real mobile interface because I only played with it once or twice. Add more info, that's why it's a thread and not github.
-redblade7
Admin of:

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 23:18

Here is a list of all the iOS apps that I know for certain are based on minetest, there are two more that I'm fair certain about but these are the only ones that I'm completely certain about.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Zombie Survival World / Zombie Survival 1.3 by Orz Games
Worldcraft Survival 2 / Worldcraft2 3.1 by Playstarz Inc.
WorldCraft & Exploration Craft 3D / WorldCraft Lite 1.07 by YuBo Chen
Starve Game / Starve Game 3.01 by
Skyblock - craft your island / SkyBlock 1.4 by Playstarz Inc.
Freeworld - Multiplayer Sandbox Game / Freeworld 3.0 by Orz Games
FreeCraft Survival / FreeCraft Exploration 1.42 by Jingjing Feng
Exploration Pocket Edition -- multiplayer sandbox building game with survival / Exploration 1.293 by Jingjing Feng
WorldCraft Survival--Best Free Sandbox Game / Exploration 1.62 by TUIJUN FENG
CubeStory -- Free sandbox voxel game with multiplayer and great maps! / CubeStory 1.07 by YuBo Chen
Buildcraft - Multiplayer Block Game / Buildcraft 4.1 by Playstarz Inc.

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 00:43

Hmm, four of those iPad clones I'd just mentioned already :P

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 13:44

My bad I already had the list so I just copy and pasted it.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 01:42

"MultiCraft Free Miner" is incompatible with unified_inventory. The game crashes with an error message when the user tries to access the inventory screen. unified_inventory_lite is used on my servers.
-redblade7
Admin of:

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 01:54

There is a considerable amount of threads like this in the forum (like this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16020)

But by far i've seen you are at least trying to classify these clones and see if they are obeying to the license.

Pretty good project! +10
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

iprdn

by iprdn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:20

You are not right to calling them clones - them just similar. No one clones MT, as far as I know.
Here another one to this list - Mythruna.com, it has one of the best and promicing graphics of all others. Unfortunately, author abandodnded it due to real life tragedy, as far as I figured out on game forum.

Wayward_One

GitHub: Wayward1
IRC: Wayward_One Wayward1
In-game: Wayward_One

by Wayward_One » Sun Mar 19, 2017 01:14

iprdn wrote:You are not right to calling them clones - them just similar. No one clones MT, as far as I know.
Here another one to this list - Mythruna.com, it has one of the best and promicing graphics of all others. Unfortunately, author abandodnded it due to real life tragedy, as far as I figured out on game forum.

No, these are actual forks of Minetest itself, using actual Minetest code. There are many people who fork Minetest for their own purposes. Mythruna does not count, as it is completely different (different language, different mechanics, etc.) and, other than being another voxel game, completely unrelated to Minetest.
Last edited by Wayward_One on Thu Mar 23, 2017 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
"When life becomes a play and I don't know the role I'm cast..."

Latest Minetest builds for Android

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 15:57

iprdn wrote:You are not right to calling them clones - them just similar. No one clones MT, as far as I know.

There is a Minetest clone - it's called Hexahedra: https://github.com/Nocte-/hexahedra
The author was inspired by Minetest.

All the games above are forks, however.

Return to Minetest General