Rain

jojoa1997

Rain

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48

Has anyone come close to making non-lagggy rain.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:17

I'm experimenting with that.
Try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39772195/rain.7z
You should punch collision box to get it working, though.
Also the model and the texture aren't set right (in fact, texture isn't working at all, and the model should be cylinder instead of what it is now).

THIS IS NOT READY. Just a possible concept.
Last edited by 4aiman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:29

I think we have, to wait until v. 0.6.0 to have rain.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:30

Why not 0.5
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

celeron55

by celeron55 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 15:08

This exists: https://github.com/TeddyDesTodes/minetest/commits/weather

It would need to be rebased to the current version, and it needs to have some kind of configuration/api somehow. Also it should be synced between server and clients, as it isn't yet IIRC.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 15:18

I don't like. That one because it created lag
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Tue Jan 15, 2013 15:39

Well 0.5 is unknown will have any new stuff that...why 0.6

We should try to edit it the rain code.
Hmm. Admin How do I edit, your's game code to change name, so I when I am done with mine game, I can have it title like that, then having it Minetest?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 06:05

1. Nobody tried I guess... Yes, entities aren't smooth, but I can't call that "laggy". It's just too discrete ;)
To try or no to try... well, it's all up to you, guys.

2. What's the point of mentioning one-year-old non-maintained patches? If anyone here could+wanted to "tune-up" that implementation, then it would be done already. But the reality is there're one thing that everyone keep forgetting: If anyone who ask of some feature at this and any other topic could write some C++ code, there would be no need of asking anyone. Look at PilzAdam or Jeija - they can and they do. Look at me or joajoa1997 - we can't and we're asking. Please, do NOT get offended. That wasn't my intention.
Yes, C++ is learn-able, but don't forget about learning some irrlicht samples, adaptation to minetest-style code and (in most cases) learning of how to embed lua scripts. By the time one of those who can't will learn all of that and will be ready, Minetest already would have all that things that forced people to study C++. I'm not telling there's no point in learning it at all, but people want to do smth (at least me) right now to be a bit more happy and useful.
So why one doesn't learn it right now either? There could be many reasons. Who is a student here? And who is working also? Who lives on his own? Or who has a wife/husband/child? There are LOT of reasons, why after spending 9 hours at work for 5 days in a week one doesn't have enough free time - cooking, cleaning, shopping, helping relatives/friends with their affairs, looking for his/her grandparents or ill parents, doing some homework before taking examination session, making his/her own projects, writing some lua mods for minetest etc.
People ARE waiting already. The reason they asking is simple - they would like to let anyone who can code that about the fact they want it. Please, in this case ignoring such question is a way better for both sides as well as more polite. 'Cause if there is answer (even "no atm") people will continue asking as though you said "yes, in the nearest future". There no need in showing them a would-be candy if completing it's production isn't on the top of TODOs list.

That's just my point of view and it may not appeal to everyone's feelings. Sorry if I hurt them.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Wed Jan 16, 2013 07:26

Nice post 4aiman!

I disgree with this sentence though:

'By the time one of those who can't will learn all of that and will be ready, Minetest already would have all that things that forced people to study C++.'

There is such an incredible amount of work that can be done on Minetest that C++ skills will be applicable on it for years and years to come:

After all reasonable features are added there's still optimization and code reorganization. I admit linux is slightly :) bigger, but you don't hear people saying it will be "done" by the time they've learned to program.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:58

Also nice post 4aiman
This sentence cannot be truer.
There are LOT of reasons, why after spending 9 hours at work for 5 days in a week one doesn't have enough free time

I am in a very competative school program (academic) so i have a couple of hours of homework a night and i am still trying to learn lua. Coding is fun but when I spend a long time on a little code then I miss out on the real reason i am coding to make a game better. And if i do all that then i am not playing the game for a couple days in a row and where is the fun in that.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 15:41

I didn't mean to say that there would be nothing to do. I said that things that people want right now would be done. Of cource there are LOTS of thing that will need their attention. I'm encourage everyone to study C++ so they would be a little bit happier and useful ;)
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Jan 16, 2013 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Wed Jan 16, 2013 17:00

Weather is something that could be handled client side I would think. The server sends the signal to start/stop weather and the client handles the animation of it.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 19:15

BrandonReese wrote:Weather is something that could be handled client side I would think. The server sends the signal to start/stop weather and the client handles the animation of it.
That would be better since it does not have to make too much lag for the entire server
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 22:17

jojoa1997 wrote:
BrandonReese wrote:Weather is something that could be handled client side I would think. The server sends the signal to start/stop weather and the client handles the animation of it.
That would be better since it does not have to make too much lag for the entire server

I think that maybe there is some point not to start/stop only but to send 2-3 bits that will tell what type of weather do we have. Not raining!=not snowing!=sunny!=cloudy etc. This way there will be areas with both snow AND rain possibble. Also we can make some thick fog :)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:58

jojoa1997 wrote:

Yes, if whether is added at all, it should be handled at least mostly on the client side. There could also be a setting to turn of weather on the client side, for slower computers.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27

However, to prevent cheating, any weather-induced actions should remain.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46

rarkenin wrote:However, to prevent cheating, any weather-induced actions should remain.

Like what? Well, if there would be disasters like floods or eruptions by the name "weather", the yes :)
I don't see an advantage to have no rain/snow, though, as that would not place or remove any nodes.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16

4aiman wrote:
rarkenin wrote:However, to prevent cheating, any weather-induced actions should remain.

Like what? Well, if there would be disasters like floods or eruptions by the name "weather", the yes :)
I don't see an advantage to have no rain/snow, though, as that would not place or remove any nodes.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that rain would create puddles and flash floods.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37

rarkenin wrote:
4aiman wrote:

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that rain would create puddles and flash floods.

That would be AWESOME. However, I doubt that atm we can count on anything but animation of snow/rain... :(

Return to Minetest General