Forum attachments have been activated. Yay!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Forum attachments have been activated. Yay!

by Wuzzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 06:03

I just discovered the forum has a new feature:

You can now add attachments to your posting. I tried it out and it fucking works!
Fuck yeah!

I just uploaded my mods treasurer and conveyor_belt as forum attachments.

Finally no silly external hosting! Finally no “TROLOLO WE ARE OMPLOADER! US HAD EATED UR FILEZ!!! HURRRR DURRRRRR!” anymore (well, at least in the future). Thank you!

But there could be some improvements though, because:

Sadly, it did not allow me to upload my two JPEG images for my experimental conveyor_belt mod because of the extension “.jpg”. Both were about 30 KiB small each. Come on, 30 KiB should not be a problem because that’s about just twice the size of my treasurer mod. :D

I think filtering solely based on file endings is stupid. File suffixes are unreliable to determine file contents. The filter can thus easily be fooled by using an allowed suffix and asking the users to change it manually after download. But for images, this is just extremely inconvenient, of course. I think you should bother about raw file size and not care about the file contents.

Speaking about file sizes: How large (maximum) may/should the uploaded files be? I don’t want to clutter the disk storage right now. ;-)
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 07:44

Still GitHub is better for files etc.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 08:56

Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, it did not allow me to upload my two JPEG images for my experimental conveyor_belt mod because of the extension “.jpg”.

Attachments should be used for hosting files, not images.
Wuzzy wrote:How large (maximum) may/should the uploaded files be?

IIRC there is a limit of 30 MB
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09

sfan5 wrote:Attachments should be used for hosting files, not images.

This does not make sense to me because images are files. If files are acceptable to you, then images should be acceptable, to you. And I don’t see what’s so bad about images.

sfan5 wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:How large (maximum) may/should the uploaded files be?

IIRC there is a limit of 30 MB

OK that’s enough. :-)

I noticed another thing: It is not possible to get rid of an accidently uploaded file, even if the thread is not even posted yet. Even if I close the browser window before posting and start over, the file just appears again. Here is the result of this: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7498
playertools_1.0.zip was not intended to be uploaded. I wish to get rid of it.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 15:06

Dan Duncombe wrote:Still GitHub is better for files etc.

No. Github is good for for git repos, nothing else.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 15:35

PilzAdam wrote:
Dan Duncombe wrote:Still GitHub is better for files etc.

No. Github is good for for git repos, nothing else.

So, what if you do about 5 updates in an hour? Apparentlyyou can't remove the links,so poop. Also, what about if people want to do pullrequests etc? Then what?
And afaik you can't do things like git clone forum uploads.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 15:37

Wuzzy wrote:
sfan5 wrote:Attachments should be used for hosting files, not images.

This does not make sense to me because images are files. If files are acceptable to you, then images should be acceptable, to you. And I don’t see what’s so bad about images.

Use sites such as [url=imgur.com]Imgur[/url] or Minus for hosting images, not the forum.
Wuzzy wrote:I noticed another thing: It is not possible to get rid of an accidently uploaded file, even if the thread is not even posted yet. Even if I close the browser window before posting and start over, the file just appears again. Here is the result of this: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7498
playertools_1.0.zip was not intended to be uploaded. I wish to get rid of it.

That is intended

BTW: I deleted the file for you
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Oct 23, 2013 16:08

Not being able to delete files is meant to avoid users ragequitting and nuking the mods out of existence, like has happened in the past.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 16:57

There should be a way to request a delete when you hit the delete button.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

xyz

by xyz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 16:58

kaeza wrote:Not being able to delete files is meant to avoid users ragequitting and nuking the mods out of existence, like has happened in the past.

I confirm this.

Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, it did not allow me to upload my two JPEG images for my experimental conveyor_belt mod because of the extension “.jpg”. Both were about 30 KiB small each. Come on, 30 KiB should not be a problem because that’s about just twice the size of my treasurer mod. :D

http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest-dev/2013-10-21#i_3385391

File size limit is set to 30 megabytes.

jojoa1997 wrote:There should be a way to request a delete when you hit the delete button.

Better approach than deleting files would be to mark them as deleted so that users don't see them but administrators can still access those files. It's not really surprising the extension we use now doesn't support this. It's punbb, after all.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 17:20

xyz wrote:
kaeza wrote:Not being able to delete files is meant to avoid users ragequitting and nuking the mods out of existence, like has happened in the past.

I confirm this.

Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, it did not allow me to upload my two JPEG images for my experimental conveyor_belt mod because of the extension “.jpg”. Both were about 30 KiB small each. Come on, 30 KiB should not be a problem because that’s about just twice the size of my treasurer mod. :D

http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest-dev/2013-10-21#i_3385391

File size limit is set to 30 megabytes.

jojoa1997 wrote:There should be a way to request a delete when you hit the delete button.

Better approach than deleting files would be to mark them as deleted so that users don't see them but administrators can still access those files. It's not really surprising the extension we use now doesn't support this. It's punbb, after all.
well I met removing it from public view
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 23:48

Okay, this is indeed a strong argument. I can remember seeing some posts from an user here which only consisted of a period (apparently the post’s content was wiped out by editing).

I would hate it to see things like this to ever happen again.

sfan5 wrote:BTW: I deleted the file for you

Thanks.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest General