How can I create an animated water texture?

Immurator

In-game: Immurator

How can I create an animated water texture?

by Immurator » Tue Jan 13, 2015 14:18

Hi,

New here. Playing around with textures. I've figured out how to make a basic texture pack, but can't get animated water to work. I see how others have done it: the 16x256 png in the default textures, for instance, but I can't get one to work. Any I create don't appear to flow. Just static image.

I'm using GIMP to create images. Is there a setting that needs to be checked/unchecked when exporting to PNG to make it work, or something else I'm missing?

Thanks!

TG-MyinaWD

GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

Re: How can I create an animated water texture?

by TG-MyinaWD » Tue Jan 13, 2015 15:14

If you look closely you can see each 16x16 area is slightly different. and Each Frame should be in the 16x16. So if need more an example be happy create a little example.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Jan 13, 2015 15:17

Only restriction is that it should have the same aspect ratio (i.e. default uses 16x256 [1:16], you can use 32x512, 64x1024, etc). Other than that it should work.

Can you post your (PNG) texture, and the filename you used?
Also, flowing water from the "minimal" game isn't animated. Check that you are not using the "minimal"/"Minimal Development Test" game.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Immurator

In-game: Immurator

by Immurator » Tue Jan 13, 2015 16:03

Ahhh, okay. For some reason I thought the animation just advanced a pixel at a time rather than a frame at a time. All my frames were the same repeated seamless tile.

I put in some random splotches of color to test it, and it works now.

Thanks to you both!

Return to Minetest Texture Packs