[32x] Dokucraft for minetest

qwertymine3

GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

[32x] Dokucraft for minetest

by qwertymine3 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 18:50

This is a conversion of dokucraft to minetest.
Download:
https://github.com/Qwertymine/Dokucraft/archive/master.zip
Github:
https://github.com/Qwertymine/Dokucraft

This only uses textures from the original pack, or textures based off those, which Doku released as free to use with the following non-specific attribution licence:

As I'm not going to be updating this pack for the foreseeable future ( I have my reasons :smile.gif: ), I hereby give anyone who wants to use my textures, permission to do so. If you do choose to use any of my textures, please credit me clearly on your front page and provide a link to this thread. Thanks.

The original minecraft texturepack thread:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/resource-packs/1225753-32x-1-7-x-dokucraft-2-5-free-to-use

Any additions or modifications by me (Qwertymine3) are licenced under
the CC0 1.0 Universal Licence

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomai ... /legalcode

Readable version
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Note:
For anyone suspicious of the very similar mossy cobblestone to that of 'Dokucraft the saga continues', it is a new (much worse) texture in the same style. If you look closely it is just green blobs with heavy blurring, on top of the same common cobblestone texture, and no-where near as good as the one in the saga continues :(
Last edited by qwertymine3 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

Re: [32x] Dokucraft for minetest

by lightonflux » Tue Aug 25, 2015 20:48

Can you add a license file to your GitHub project? And also add the license in this thread. Thanks.

qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 21:40

lightonflux wrote:Can you add a license file to your GitHub project? And also add the license in this thread. Thanks.

I have followed this through as best I can - I wish doku had used an official licence when making his texturepack 'free to use'.

qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 14:51

Update!

Jungle tree textures have been completely re-done, and the pine textures are now correctly named
+ other misc additions

qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 21:23

Update!

Bed, mushroom and acacia wood textures have been added

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:26

It is nice pack, thanks. You need to fix and update some blocks to support 0.4.13-dev(look through creative inventory to look for blocks that need conversion).

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 02:20

Have you compared your textures with the output of mcresconvert? I'd be interested to see if I can make your life easier by automating some of the conversion, as well as learn from where mcresconvert still falls short ;)

qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 05:34

sofar wrote:Have you compared your textures with the output of mcresconvert? I'd be interested to see if I can make your life easier by automating some of the conversion, as well as learn from where mcresconvert still falls short ;)

I don't think I'll be able to use mcresconvert to help with this conversion, as I have to use the original Dokucraft, which is only available in the old single-tilesheet format (As "Dokucraft the Saga Continues" has a restrictive license).

Ignoring that, I've converted the latest 1.9 WIP version of DokuCraft the Saga Continues, and I think I have a few ideas.

1. Decoration Colours: This is where this pack and mcresconvert disagree the most. I chose to go with the Minetest Game colours for all decorations, to try to make the pack feel more 'native' in Minetest Game. It would be nice if this was an option for colouration.
  2. Opaque Leaves: I play with this option on, so I generally go to a little extra effort in choosing the background colour for this setting, generally choosing a darker shade of the darkest colour. I guess that it is easy enough to change the black to a better colour (and also the precedent in the Minetest Game textures :( ), but an intelligent default may be nice.
  3. Redstone as Gunpowder: IDK if this has been suggested, but I think this would be a sensible default for most texture packs.
  4. Texture pack icon: The texture pack icon was stretched and smoothed into the correct shape. This blurs the icon quite badly of this pack. I feel that not smoothing the icon would produce a better looking icon in most cases
  5. A warning about animated textures would be nice. Although it is pretty clear which ones are affected, it would be nice to know when running it.

Also, here is a list of issues with the conversion of "DokuCraft the Saga Continues"

1. All animated items/blocks
  2. Grass plants are not coloured (also affected by the above issue)
  3. Transparency Issues with sun, moon, block-breaking animation and obsidian glass.
  4. Item bar conversion: Pretty good, but the way the end of the bar has been pasted over has left the original bar still visible at the end.
  5. Cactus: The left edge correctly detected, but the right edge is one pixel too wide (right and bottom for top texture). The transparent areas are rendered white.
Last edited by qwertymine3 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

sofar

by sofar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 05:49

qwertymine3 wrote:
sofar wrote:Have you compared your textures with the output of mcresconvert? I'd be interested to see if I can make your life easier by automating some of the conversion, as well as learn from where mcresconvert still falls short ;)

I don't think I'll be able to use mcresconvert to help with this conversion, as I have to use the original Dokucraft, which is only available in the old single-tilesheet format (As "Dokucraft the Saga Continues" has a restrictive license).

Ignoring that, I've converted the latest 1.9 WIP version of DokuCraft the Saga Continues, and I think I have a few ideas.

1. Decoration Colours: This is where this pack and mcresconvert disagree the most. I chose to go with the Minetest Game colours for all decorations, to try to make the pack feel more 'native' in Minetest Game. It would be nice if this was an option for colouration.
  2. Opaque Leaves: I play with this option on, so I generally go to a little extra effort in choosing the background colour for this setting, generally choosing a darker shade of the darkest colour. I guess that it is easy enough to change the black to a better colour (and also the precedent in the Minetest Game textures :( ), but an intelligent default may be nice.
  3. Redstone as Gunpowder: IDK if this has been suggested, but I think this would be a sensible default for most texture packs.
  4. Item Bar Conversion: There is an issue with this pack, where it seems like the
  5. Texture pack icon: The texture pack icon was stretched and smoothed into the correct shape. This blurs the icon quite badly of this pack. I feel that not smoothing the icon would produce a better looking icon in most cases
  6. A warning about animated textures would be nice. Although it is pretty clear which ones are affected, it would be nice to know when running it.

Also, here is a list of issues with the conversion of "DokuCraft the Saga Continues"

1. All animated items/blocks
  2. Grass plants are not coloured (also affected by the above issue)
  3. Transparency Issues with sun, moon, block-breaking animation and obsidian glass.
  4. Item bar conversion: Pretty good, but the way the end of the bar has been pasted over has left the original bar still visible at the end.
  5. Cactus: The left edge correctly detected, but the right edge is one pixel too wide (right and bottom for top texture). The transparent areas are rendered white.

Some of the issues you list are due to ImageMagick 6.8 not functioning properly with transparency and compositing (sun/moon problem, and a few others). I have 6.9 and so I'm not sure how to fix this issue, downgrading doesn't seem like a good idea either.

I'll need to take a look at some of the other issues. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

sofar

by sofar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 02:40

I must say, of all the resource packs I've seen, DocuCraft is doing the weirdest shit of all.

First of all, it's the first one that has a block breaking texture that has no transparency. All other resource packs I've found use transparency instead of relying no multiply compose, I suppose, but it makes no sense to me.

I managed to fix the cactus, sun and moon. That was more of an ImageMagick complexity than anything.

The grass textures in docucraft, are, again a bizarre and utterly nonconform artifact. They are not 32x32, nope, they are 128x(8 frames x 32) and contain prebuilt anti-aliasing texture versions of a 32x32 grass template. Again this is the only resource pack I've seen that does this. Yuck?

The item bar is something I'll fix - one way or another.

One thing in your original message keeps resounding:

Decoration Colours: This is where this pack and mcresconvert disagree the most. I chose to go with the Minetest Game colours for all decorations, to try to make the pack feel more 'native' in Minetest Game. It would be nice if this was an option for colouration.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean "grass colors", then mcresconvert works by doing exactly what minecraft does: it takes the grass color from "grass.png" and composes it together with the "tallgrass.png". Specifically, I pick the biome spot color in the grass.png for "meadows" (roughly in the middle) and I pick the "dry grass" color from the savannah biome spots. In the same way I pick jungle colors from the jungle spot, etc..

This is highly accurate and identical to how MC would do that, although I suppose the exact composite operator may diverge a bit and there will be subtle differences in things like light level, but what I don't understand is why you're saying it's not close to the game:

e.g. compare:

While the non-dry grass here is not the same color due to this being near-dry grass in minecraft, the colors are really quite close to MC equivalent. Are you seeing wildly different colors somehow?

Note: you have to disable tonemapping to make a fair comparison, of course, since MC doesn't enable that by default.

qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 15:53

sofar wrote:
Decoration Colours: This is where this pack and mcresconvert disagree the most. I chose to go with the Minetest Game colours for all decorations, to try to make the pack feel more 'native' in Minetest Game. It would be nice if this was an option for colouration.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean "grass colors", then mcresconvert works by doing exactly what minecraft does: it takes the grass color from "grass.png" and composes it together with the "tallgrass.png". Specifically, I pick the biome spot color in the grass.png for "meadows" (roughly in the middle) and I pick the "dry grass" color from the savannah biome spots. In the same way I pick jungle colors from the jungle spot, etc...

I think you mis-interpreted what I was trying to say. Your converter is working as you intended and producing Minecraft-accurate colours for the decorations.

I was suggesting a feature for an alternative set of colours though, some which are similar to the colours from Minetest Game.
I think the following image should show what I mean.
The top image is Minetest Game, the middle is my texture pack and the bottom is the converted one.

Ignoring the different base textures, my colours are intended to mimic those from Minetest Game.
I was suggesting being able to convert using these colours rather than the Minecraft based colours.
Attachments
comparison.png
comparison.png (354.05 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

sofar

by sofar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 16:19

qwertymine3 wrote:Ignoring the different base textures, my colours are intended to mimic those from Minetest Game.
I was suggesting being able to convert using these colours rather than the Minecraft based colours.

ahhh, ok, I see your point. Yes, I can see that using the minetest colors has some value. I intend to keep the MC colors, though. I see you've also picked different textures for desert stone as well.

I'm wondering why the leaves are indeed a lot lighter. hmmm.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 19:58

Nice textures!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Minetest Texture Packs