How to make your own texture common for all TP?

Sergey

How to make your own texture common for all TP?

by Sergey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 15:24

How to make your own texture common for all texture packs (TP)?

For example, I want to make my texture for highlighting block I point to. To do this I have to make halo.png. But if I make folder ~/.minetest/textures/all and put halo.png there, then I just make another TP with only thing that differ from default TP.

RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

Re: How to make your own texture common for all TP?

by RHR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 15:38

Did you also selected the right TP in the menu?

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 15:44

RHR wrote:Did you also selected the right TP in the menu?

Yes. But view of right TP is not with my highlighting feature.

I have file ~/.minetest/textures/all/halo.png which defines highlighting of block I point to. Of course, in Settings tab "node highlighting" is selected in drop-down list instead of default "node outlining". I downloaded vanilla 32x32 texture pack. Unpack archive into ~/.minetest/textures/ folder. In Texturepacks tab now there are None, all and vanilla 32x32 texture packs. I select the lower texture pack and start playing but my highlighting method is ignored. Instead, default semitransparent blue wrapper around pointing block is applied.

Attachments
2017-01-25_01-47-22_1280x1024.png
2017-01-25_01-47-22_1280x1024.png (32.65 KiB) Viewed 4293 times

RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:04

Sergey wrote:I select the lower texture pack and start playing but my highlighting method is ignored. Instead, default semitransparent blue wrapper around pointing block is applied.

Of course, minetest only loads the texturepack you selected. If you want to play with the "vanilla 32x32 texture pack" and your new "halo.png" then you have to copy and paste it from the all folder to the vanilla 32x32 folder if you want to do it this way.

I saw you changed your title to "a texture for all texture packs". You can also change the original halo.png textrure in minetest/textures/base/pack then it is also loaded for all other texture packs you want to use.

Sergey

by Sergey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 16:31

RHR wrote:
Sergey wrote:I select the lower texture pack and start playing but my highlighting method is ignored. Instead, default semitransparent blue wrapper around pointing block is applied.

Of course, minetest only loads the texturepack you selected. If you want to play with the "vanilla 32x32 texture pack" and your new "halo.png" then you have to copy and paste it from the all folder to the vanilla 32x32 folder if you want to do it this way.

I saw you changed your title to "a texture for all texture packs". You can also change the original halo.png textrure in minetest/textures/base/pack then it is also loaded for all other texture packs you want to use.

Neither ~/.minetest/textures/all nor ~/.minetest/textures/base/pack does help. By the way, none of these folders did exist after I installed the game. Folder ~/.minetest/textures was empty. But, as I just said, manual creation of these folders and putting files in it, does not help.

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 18:05

Can anyone help me how to use my halo.png with any TP?

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 18:17

I think if you replace halo.png in textures/base/pack/halo.png
It will work with any texture pack. This will only work in your client.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 18:22

ExeterDad wrote:I think if you replace halo.png in textures/base/pack/halo.png

I already said that there were no folders like ~/.minetest/textures/all or ~/.minetest/textures/base/pack after installation of game. Folder ~/.minetest/textures was just empty. And manual creation of them and putting file there does not help.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 22:47

Sergey wrote:

I already said that there were no folders like ~/.minetest/textures/all or ~/.minetest/textures/base/pack after installation of game. Folder ~/.minetest/textures was just empty. And manual creation of them and putting file there does not help.

The textures folder I'm referring to isn't located in /.minetest. I'm sorry I didn't think to specify.
On my Debian system it's /usr/share/minetest/textures/base/pack
But it's a .deb package I rolled myself so the location might not be the same as official Debian. With a run in place build, I believe the textures folder is located right next to the bin folder. In a Windows run in place build it is there as well.
Sorry I can't be more specific, but there's so many ways to run Minetest :P
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 23:36

ExeterDad wrote:The textures folder I'm referring to isn't located in /.minetest. I'm sorry I didn't think to specify.
But it's a .deb package I rolled myself so the location might not be the same as official Debian. With a run in place build, I believe the textures folder is located right next to the bin folder. In a Windows run in place build it is there as well.

I don't want to overwrite what MT copied to system folders while installation (like in /usr/share/minetest). There are folder/file(s) for user-specific adjustment in user home directory (or in its config subdirectory). That is their purpose.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Jan 29, 2017 06:09

Sergey wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:The textures folder I'm referring to isn't located in /.minetest. I'm sorry I didn't think to specify.

I don't want to overwrite what MT copied to system folders while installation (like in /usr/share/minetest). There are folder/file(s) for user-specific adjustment in user home directory (or in its config subdirectory). That is their purpose.

At this time, aside from placing your own copy of halo.png in each texture pack, editing the system files are your only option. The image files in that texture folder ARE system files, and currently can't be overridden in the way you are wanting. The same goes for the mini map images. Feel free to submit a pull request with a fix on Github. This issue has been discussed countless times, and to my knowledge no one has made a move to help fix it.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Sergey

by Sergey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 21:37

ExeterDad wrote:
Sergey wrote:

The textures folder I'm referring to isn't located in /.minetest. I'm sorry I didn't think to specify.

I had to move my halo.png to system directory
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
sudo cp -b halo.png /usr/share/minetest/textures/base/pack

Flag -b is needed to backup existing file. Just in case.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 17:12

Just call create a folder named "server" in your .minetest/textures folder. Put in there the halo.png.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

Return to Minetest Texture Packs