Freely licensed texture packages?

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Freely licensed texture packages?

by MirceaKitsune » Wed Aug 13, 2014 23:39

I want to eventually create a game with a different style than existing Minetest games... including different textures. I'm not a texture artist however, and all good texture packages for Minetest don't specify a license or are not free to use. Obviously I'll want freely licensed textures, and hopefully something of a good quality and with a consistent style.

I wanted to ask if there are any exceptions: Do you know any quality texture packages for Minetest, which are under a free license (except CC-*-NC or CC-*-ND)? Given that Minetest is itself open-source, I am surprised this proving such a difficult task... but I'm sure there must be a few good ones out there.

In terms of resolution, anything equal or above x16 is okay for me. In terms of style, I'm looking for something rustic if anything... such as John Smith's texture package (for which I'm struggling to find out the license with no success whatsoever). Feel free to link anything that counts though.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

Re: Freely licensed texture packages?

by philipbenr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 05:39

I'll be releasing a alpha version of my subgame eventually. The game has 32px graphics which I think are all really awesome. That may be just me. Anyhoo, I'll post it a bit later. As for the license, it is GPLv3. I hope that is free enough for you...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vk9xock2ujcrul/textures.zip

These are the default textures. I haven't gotten any others done, so take a look at these for now.

As I said, these are all GPLv3, and my own (other than the incomplete ones... : / )
If you like how they look, I'd be happy to finish the rest and let you use them. That is why I used GPL.

I'm not quite sure if it is rustic, but it fits well in my game...

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Aug 15, 2014 08:54

philipbenr wrote:As I said, these are all GPLv3, and my own (other than the incomplete ones... : / )
If you like how they look, I'd be happy to finish the rest and let you use them. That is why I used GPL.

You could dual-license as GPL 3+ and CC BY-SA 4.0. This way, people can choose between both, as these licenses are incompatible between each other.

MirceaKitsune wrote:I want to eventually create a game with a different style than existing Minetest games...

This may not answer your question, but try this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9428

If no license is specified, then you have no rights. The Minecraft community doesn't care or even know stuff about licensing, so most mod and texture pack authors don't put anything about it.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Fri May 15, 2015 17:07

Since I still plan to create a good looking Minetest game when I get around to such, I remain very interested in this thread. Does anyone know of more texture sets released under a free license please? List anything that counts... be they ported from Minecraft or maybe even raw images which can be compiled into a texture pack.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Wed May 27, 2015 12:22

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Wed May 27, 2015 13:46

Hybrid Dog wrote:https://github.com/HybridDog/alternativeTP

Thanks! Tried it out just now... a bit too sharp for my liking, but it's still nice to know of and have alternatives. Hope there are more that can be mentioned here.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Sun Jun 28, 2015 14:28

Since over the next months I'm planning to draw closer to building my game, I'm still highly interested in a freely licensed texture pack of good quality! Anything more that people can share for this thread please? I'm now hoping for a set of x32 textures over x16, similar in design to John Smith texture package (realistic yet colorful and artistic).

Note that it doesn't necessarily have to be a full texture set already compiled for Minetest. Any bunch of image files that can be put into one is fine... as long as they're all the same style and license, and can of course loop properly where it's the case. It can be textures for nodes, tools, etc.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Wed Jul 01, 2015 14:22

It's not nearly finished yet, but I'm working on a texture pack for my survival subgame.
https://github.com/NathanSalapat/NathanSalapat
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Wed Jul 01, 2015 14:49

Nathan.S wrote:It's not nearly finished yet, but I'm working on a texture pack for my survival subgame.
https://github.com/NathanSalapat/NathanSalapat

Thanks, that is good to know! The textures that are there so far actually look pretty good.

That said, I believe I also found a solution. I might make my own TP using an x32 tile set released by Hyptosis on OpenGameArt, which is CC-BY. It's a set of really good textures, intended for 2D RPG's but easy to extract for Minetest use.

http://opengameart.org/content/lots-of- ... y-hyptosis

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 17:43

A lot of links to pages providing resources like textures, models, sounds can be found on http://www.freegamedev.net/wiki/Art_asset_resources

Licenses vary.

Return to Minetest Texture Packs