Idea for placing slabs, stairs, etc/

12Me21

Idea for placing slabs, stairs, etc/

by 12Me21 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 16:40

I'm baaaaack.....!

Ok, so in MineCRAFT, you can place different orientations of slabs by clicking the top or bottom half of the block. However, in MineTEST (with mods), there can be 6 different orientations of slabs (top, bottom, left, right, front, back), so you can't just use this method. Here's my idea for how to place slabs in different positions without weird tools and stuff.

When you're holding a slab and looking at a block, instead of the normal square outline around the block, it will look like this:
____
|\ _ /|
| |_ | |
|/__\|

Sorry for the crappy text image, my normal image uploading site is blocked at school, and imgur sucks.

Basically, it will be divided into 5 sections, Top, bottom, middle, left, and right. For example, if you click the top section, it will make a top slab, like this: |**|. (front view, ** is the slab). If you click the middle, it will place a slab that is flat against the block: |;| | (side view) ( |;| is the slab)

I'm not sure if this is possible to do, but if it is, it will make slab placing a lot easier :)

You could use a similar method to place stairs, by dividing the block into 9 squares, and ignoring the middle (or extending the outer squares into it to fill it. The corners place stairs that are parallel to the wall (if this is confusing, wait until I get an image)
for now:
____
|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|

Also for half-slabs (1/4 of full block) IDK what the're called, you could use the same method.

And micro blocks (1/8 of full) are easy, just 4 squares.

But honestly, I don't really like the whole partial block system. Wouldn't it be better if there was a crafting-table type thing, but with 8 slots (dividing the block into 8 microblocks.) You would put blocks in the slots that you wanted to have filled in, and have.... ok I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to get some pictures first!

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: Idea for placing slabs, stairs, etc/

by TenPlus1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 20:20

Slabs can be placed in a variety of rotations by simple placing the slab either on the ground, block in front, blocks to the side, or holding shift and placing also...

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Tue Feb 24, 2015 20:36

The only thing I dont like about the current stairs/slab mods,
is the replacing of slabs with whole blocks when stacked.

I think it would be much cooler to have a "stacked slab" node replace it instead.
It would be just for looks though when building stuff, no other real purpose.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 20:48

Napiophelios wrote:The only thing I dont like about the current stairs/slab mods,

I think it would be much cooler to have a "stacked slab" node replace it instead.

Agreed
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 14:36

ExeterDad wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:The only thing I dont like about the current stairs/slab mods,

Agreed

Yeah, that would be cool. something like the double stone slabs from minecraft, but with all types of slab. You should also be able to craft slabs back into the full block.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Fri Feb 27, 2015 02:52

I have already experimented with this in the past, its easy enough to get the code to do what you want
the hard part is getting the textures to look right.
Smooth textures are easy to do, but anything with alot of noise/detail needs an artist's touch,
something I just havent got the hang of yet.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 13:32

Napiophelios wrote:I have already experimented with this in the past, its easy enough to get the code to do what you want
the hard part is getting the textures to look right.
Smooth textures are easy to do, but anything with alot of noise/detail needs an artist's touch,
something I just havent got the hang of yet.

yeah, you have to be very careful adding noise. Most textures seem to just use the "add noise" filter, which looks really bad in my opinion.

Return to Modding Discussion