Aligning mobs to X instead of Y, why!?

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

Aligning mobs to X instead of Y, why!?

by FreeLikeGNU » Sun Dec 25, 2016 17:33

I made some mobs for minetest, originally aligning to Y because mirroring and animation in blender seem to favor this. However, minetest spec says align to X. I tried modeling and animating aligned to X and it was a bit more painful. What I'd like to know:

Should I just model and animate aligned to Y and let the mod/game re-orient my mob/player models?
Why does Minetest prefer alignment this way? Is it an Irrlicht thing? Is Blender just weird about it's axis convention?

I would prefer to model and animate in Blender aligned to Y.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Re: Aligning mobs to X instead of Y, why!?

by ExeterDad » Sun Dec 25, 2016 20:25

I don't have the answer why. But that has gotten me a few times when modeling. It might make your life easier if you don't worry about the alignment during modeling. But pay attention to the check boxes on Blender export, it can convert it for you :)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

stu

GitHub: stujones11

Re: Aligning mobs to X instead of Y, why!?

by stu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 13:06

I don't have the answer either but my guess is it was just a poor design choice that we are now stuck with, like so many other things, because changing it now would break mods. My solution is to make a model how I like then simply rotate or scale it in object mode to suit minetest though there is absolutely nothing with using the export options if they are available.

Return to Modding Discussion