Looking for mods which add Minecraft features

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Looking for mods which add Minecraft features

by Wuzzy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 19:52

Hi! I am looking for mods which add features found in the game Minecraft (either direct clones or loosely based on Minecraft), in order to add them to MineClone 2, which I just released today.

I already am aware of these mods:
  • 4mcac viewtopic.php?t=8754
  • 3d_armor, 3d_armor_stand, wieldview
  • banners
  • beacon viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12041
  • builtin_item
  • cake
  • commands
  • craftingpack (modpack)
  • drippingwater
  • farming viewtopic.php?t=10486
  • gemalde
  • head
  • hardened_clay
  • hbhunger
  • hunger
  • hoppers viewtopic.php?t=12379
  • itemframes
  • item_drop
  • playereffects
  • player_monoids
  • jdukebox (jukebox in Big Freaking Dig)
  • less_trees
  • railcorridors viewtopic.php?t=10225
  • mcstair
  • Mesecons (modpack)
  • lMinecraft Monster
  • Minecraft Sounds
  • Minetest Game mods: carts, doors, stairs, tnt, fire, wool, beds, farming
  • Mobs Redo
  • mobs_mc
  • nether
  • playerplus
  • sprint
  • throwing
  • torches (3D torches)
  • tsm_railcorridors
  • walkover
  • xdecor

(Green: Included in MineClone 2, either directly or as variation thereof. Red: I rejected inclusion into MineClone 2. Black: Undecided)

If you know any mod which adds Minecraft features or Minecraft-like features and it is NOT on this list, please tell me. Especially if the mods closely resemble Minecraft features. It does not matter for me if the mod is standalone or a part of a subgame.

Currenty, I am especially looking for features in the following categories:
  • Enchanting
  • Achivements system with dependency tree (4mcac seems outdated/broken to me)
  • Experience system
  • Mobs (more or less compatible with Mobs Redo)
  • Maybe a mod which makes working with biomes easier
  • Simple NPCs you can trade with
  • Anvil
  • Beacon
  • Mods which recreate more redstone elements (preferably by extending Mesecons): Redstone Comparator, Observer, Tripwire
  • Map-generating mod: Nether
  • Map-generating mod: End

I am thankful for any mention of a suitable mod, as this will make the creation of MineClone 2 much easier. Also, I want to avoid writing duplicate code. ;-)
Last edited by Wuzzy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 00:55, edited 5 times in total.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: Looking for mods which add Minecraft features

by maikerumine » Thu Jan 12, 2017 20:09

Use this mob pack with mobs redo and you are golden:
https://github.com/maikerumine/mobs_mc

whitephoenix

GitHub: whitephoenix0
IRC: whitephoenix
In-game: whitephoenix

by whitephoenix » Fri Jan 13, 2017 01:32

github.com/avamander/minefix
A project I added to a bit, might have some stuff you can use.

NekoSapien

In-game: NekoSapien

by NekoSapien » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07

I understand I'm kind of new and that what I say will not have much legitimacy but shouldn't things like this be discouraged/avoided? I mean building up Minecraft from scratch when that game itself is not even considered abandonware yet. idk I just feel like 1: its not very imaginative, and 2 its getting close to legal waters.

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 14:58

NekoSapien wrote:1: its not very imaginative, and 2 its getting close to legal waters.

MT is as much of a "threat" to MC as GNU Emacs is to Microsoft Word. Even people who sell MT on the Play Store have not been sued AFAIK. So there does not seem to be a big legal issue. Gameplay and look and feel are not copyrightable in the first place.

Also, maybe it's not very imaginative, but MC gameplay is well balanced and there are many tutorials and gameplay videos on YouTube, so it makes sense to have some MT subgames that are inspired by MC to varying degrees. Due to API limitations, MT cannot copy MC to 100% anyway, so these kind of subgames are always going to be more an homage to MC than a real copy.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:15

In order for mc players to transition well, we need to at least provide the features. Would be good to make a list of minecraft features and what mods satisfy it

We can add a dependency tree to awards. I'd like to see such a thing

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 21:12

Wow, thank you people for all the support I get. It seems Minecraft is a really big deal to you people.
I haven't tried out these mods, but I will come back here when I did, to say how well they work out for me.
But they look very promising and useful to me already. :-)

1: its not very imaginative, and 2 its getting close to legal waters.

I am not really doing this to “advertise” Minetest, it's more like I feel like it. It's a challenge to me and I hope to learn a lot from it. Yes, it is 0% imaginative, that's not the goal. ;-) The point is to create a free software version of it with some interface improvements and maybe even allow for easy extensibility (like in Minetest Game). I will avoid any material directly copied from Mojang or Microsoft like the plague, because of copyright. Because if I do, this would just defeat the entire point of MineClone 2.

About the interface: The primary goal is to match the gameplay, where I try to be very strict (no “tweaking”). Imitating the interface is only a secondary goal. So if a mod recreates a gameplay mechanic very well, but the interface only poorly, I might still include this mod. :-)

We can add a dependency tree to awards. I'd like to see such a thing

This would be great! But in a way which also 100% supports the current “flat” achievements system, I like it for its simplicity. I don't really care if the interface isn't matched 100%, that would be impossible with current Minetest anyway.

Due to API limitations, MT cannot copy MC to 100% anyway

True. I will also use this project to spot all the Minetest limitations and make feature requests for the engine. I suppose many Minecraft features would also be useful to have in a general fashion.
Example: Allowing to change walking speed when walking on a node. This would recreate the soul sand behaviour.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Jan 13, 2017 22:10

I did not see "simple beacon" in your list? Unless I overlooked it.

Don't have the link at hand but a mod search should bring it up... it's pretty cool
Flick?... Flick who?

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 22:16

Wuzzy wrote:True. I will also use this project to spot all the Minetest limitations and make feature requests for the engine. I suppose many Minecraft features would also be useful to have in a general fashion.
Example: Allowing to change walking speed when walking on a node. This would recreate the soul sand behaviour.

The playerplus mod can do the slowing down on soul sand or water; I'm using playerplus in my Stampy game too for that reason: https://github.com/mdoege/stampy_game/blob/master/mods/playerplus/init.lua#L58. The only problem is that the sprint mod overrides the playerplus walking speed slowdown, so I've deactivated sprint for now.

The bigger issues with the API I see is that e.g. potion effects like night vision are hard to do. That and I'd like to be able to turn the heads of our mobs from Lua so they can look at the player. Explosion and arrow knockback effects are also a problem.

pithy

GitHub: pithydon

by pithy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 01:23

Here are some corner stairs https://github.com/pithydon/mcstair

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 16, 2017 01:06

Morn76 wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:True. I will also use this project to spot all the Minetest limitations and make feature requests for the engine. I suppose many Minecraft features would also be useful to have in a general fashion.

The playerplus mod can do the slowing down on soul sand or water; I'm using playerplus in my Stampy game too for that reason: https://github.com/mdoege/stampy_game/blob/master/mods/playerplus/init.lua#L58. The only problem is that the sprint mod overrides the playerplus walking speed slowdown, so I've deactivated sprint for now.

The bigger issues with the API I see is that e.g. potion effects like night vision are hard to do. That and I'd like to be able to turn the heads of our mobs from Lua so they can look at the player. Explosion and arrow knockback effects are also a problem.

Things like speed mod conflicts could be solved by use of player status APIs like player_monoids
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 03:56

mobs_mc, mcstair and playerplus have been merged! Thank you.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 05:14

Flick?... Flick who?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 00:59

Thank you for mentioning the beacon mod. I obviously can't use it verbatim because the Minecraft beacon is very unique. But the style looks definitely like something I can use. But the beacon has a low priority, so it has to wait when everything else works fine.

I am still desperately looking for a good (!) Nether mod. I know there have been many attempts to recreate the Nether, and attempts to recreate the Nether portal seem to work nicely as well. But I have still not found a good mod which generates a good Nether realm. None of the mods I found so far give the “Nether feeling” (Minecraft-like) so far. I already have all of the blocks the Nether needs, so this is out of the way, I “just” need a good Nether map generator, really.
At the very least, the Nether mapgen should feature a HUGE sea of lava with some occasional netherrack “islands” above. If this already works in the mod, I could use it as a base to refine it further.
I would be glad for any hints.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 02:37

Wuzzy wrote:Thank you for mentioning the beacon mod. I obviously can't use it verbatim because the Minecraft beacon is very unique. But the style looks definitely like something I can use. But the beacon has a low priority, so it has to wait when everything else works fine.

I am still desperately looking for a good (!) Nether mod. I know there have been many attempts to recreate the Nether, and attempts to recreate the Nether portal seem to work nicely as well. But I have still not found a good mod which generates a good Nether realm. None of the mods I found so far give the “Nether feeling” (Minecraft-like) so far. I already have all of the blocks the Nether needs, so this is out of the way, I “just” need a good Nether map generator, really.
At the very least, the Nether mapgen should feature a HUGE sea of lava with some occasional netherrack “islands” above. If this already works in the mod, I could use it as a base to refine it further.
I would be glad for any hints.

I wonder if any of Duane's mapgens could be edited for what you want?

I think you might be able to make use of his underworlds work?
Flick?... Flick who?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 15:46

I forgot to add to my last post.

If there is a way I can help altering the beacon mod, just pm me and let me know. When ever you're ready
Flick?... Flick who?

bell07

GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 22:41

The geomoria (https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16769) mod did remembered me to "Netherfestung" (http://minecraft-de.gamepedia.com/Netherfestung) Maybe you can customize this mod for rare spawning in in Nether?
Maybe the better mod for nether is Underworldshttps://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16529 (look to Phlegethos (fire and lava). The mod seems to be highly customizible, maybe you can use it for the "Ende" too.
An other mod that needs to be mentioned at this place for "Ende" is nyanland: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7689

Return to Modding Discussion