Idea: Blueprints/Construction plans

burli

Idea: Blueprints/Construction plans

by burli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:45

I had a new idea today to add another layer of difficulty to the game. To build more complex nodes or items you may need a construction plan. To get this plan you need to find it first or you need to develop it in some way that I don't know yet.

If you hold the plan in you hand an use it (leftclick) it opens a form similar to the crafting grid with the nodes you need to craft the item or something more like a real plan.

To craft the item you need to place the nodes plus the plan in the crafting grid. If you craft the Item the plan stays in the grid. To make it more realistic the plan should be wear every time it is used. But I think this currently doesn't work. I opened an issue

To make a copy of a plan you can place the plan, a blank plan and ink in the crafting grid. Ink could be made of water, blue dye and an empty vessel.

twoelk

Re: Idea: Blueprints/Construction plans

by twoelk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58

didn't RealTest do something like that?

burli

by burli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06

Dunno, also the links are dead

twoelk

by twoelk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59

burli wrote:Dunno, also the links are dead

https://github.com/VanessaE/realtest is one version, but iirc there are two others that are very silent but not quite dead yet.

btw the Tutor mod by sofar might be usefull for this idea if one would link the functions to an individuell object, say a specific blue print. For example building the atomic reactor from technic might become easier if such a combined method was possible. Instead of having to research the tech tree backwards to find out what to start with, such a blueprint could guide on what resources to start with and what objects to make to succeed with building a complicated structure.

burli

by burli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 13:38

twoelk wrote:didn't RealTest do something like that?

I found some plans, but I don't know how they work

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 14:25

Perhaps you could include a separate inventory slot to the left of the crafting grid where blueprints are to be placed. I think that might be more intuitive than changing the default behavior of the crafting grid itself.

burli

by burli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 14:35

sorcerykid wrote:Perhaps you could include a separate inventory slot to the left of the crafting grid where blueprints are to be placed. I think that might be more intuitive than changing the default behavior of the crafting grid itself.

I don't need to change it. It is already possible to add so called replacements to recipes. For example if your recipe needs a bucket of water you can replace this with an empty bucket of water.

What is not implemented is a wear for items used that way. Perhaps I can write it myself using register_on_crafting, but that makes it complicated and I'm not sure if that already works

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 18:45

You say that you don't need to change the default behavior of the crafting grid, but then go on to say that "what is not implemented is wear for items used that way."

So, in other words, do need to change it. I still think that having a separate inventory slot for crafting accessories that undergo wear, would not only be more intuitive to the end-user but easier to implement.

burli

by burli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 20:25

sorcerykid wrote:You say that you don't need to change the default behavior of the crafting grid, but then go on to say that "what is not implemented is wear for items used that way."

So, in other words, do need to change it. I still think that having a separate inventory slot for crafting accessories that undergo wear, would not only be more intuitive to the end-user but easier to implement.

The functionality to use tools or item in the crafting grid is available. What's missing is, that these tools are wear like normal wielded tools.

For example: you can dig stone with a picaxe. It get's wear. If you use the same picaxe in a crafting recipe, e.g. to sculpt a stone into something else, it doesn't get wear

Return to Modding Discussion