What subgames are there that are not only modded Minetest?

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

What subgames are there that are not only modded Minetest?

by Linuxdirk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:43

Minetest gets “advertised” as engine for all kinds of voxel-based games and Minetest Game is only a “reference implementation”.

I’m just wondering … What subgames are there that are not basically “Minetest Game” with more or less advanced mods? I think of stuff like the unfortunately officially discontinued UFO Race subgame.

Are there any more subgames that are not simply modded “Minetest Game” versions but actually using the Minetest voxel engine to create an unique game?

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: What subgames are there that are not only modded Minetes

by octacian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 16:18

Well, there's Pixture, rpgtest, and Lord of The Test, though I am not a fan of the latter. However, out of these, Pixture is to my knowledge the most difference, but maybe rpgtest as well (I have yet to try it). Pixture was built up from the scratch, without even forking MT Game.

Speaking of the unfinished UFO Race subgame, I'm planning on making a subgame called racetest sometime in the future that adds race cars, tracks, maybe even the old UFOs :D
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 16:33

Capture the flag counts for this, I feel

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 19:17

rubenwardy: yes it does. but it's not really something you could play yourself... If you wanted to play with friends, then yes. But...
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 00:22

It's a multiplayer only subgame, yeah

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:16

It would be cool if someone could figure out ways to create subgames like pacman, and other old atari games with MT.
pacman could be a maze map... and using the pick up items by walking over them to pick up the dots (score goes up as this is done), create a ghosts mob to chase you down, and every so often a power dot which causes you to kill the ghosts when you run into them....

IDK... something like that?

A lot of parkour (?) maps around... maybe one could be turned into (can't think of the name now)<edit Pitfall is the name of the game..., but it was running through a jungle, jumping over snakes, crocs, etc. jump to catch the vine and swing over holes... etc..

Maybe something like Donkey kong? try to climb a mountain while rocks are coming down at you? (falling nodes could be used for this, maybe?)

I think a bit of what causes this stagnation in subgames design/ideas is (and I'm sure some will feel offended by this but none is meant) a lack of creative/different thinking.
Everyone is trying to create that subgame which will maybe be chosen to be the new "official" MT game? I think that is really what many people are locked onto mentally.
Or, maybe they are just creating mT as what they feel it should be but, yeah.... there is definitely a locked onto psyche around doing the same ole' when subgames are concerned

I realize, while I can come up with decent ideas... I am definitely, definitely not skilled in programming/coding. And even though I wish I were, I actually don't have the desire nor motivation to try to learn to be one now.
And if I ever created something really great in this realm... you can rest assured it would be by pure and absolute accident... :P
Flick?... Flick who?

Return to Subgame Discussion