Can I add a "mods" folder to my subgame?

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

Can I add a "mods" folder to my subgame?

by TumeniNodes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 05:11

I've noticed something a little annoying while putting a subgame together for myself, so I can have my own version or MT and still be able to enjoy the official MT.

When I add mods to my subgame, I am left unable to select individual mods per different worlds I may create.
Unless I am missing something (which is possible as I'm an airhead)

Am I able to set this up where I title my subgame folder as "game" or whatever, and then add a "mods" folder similar to how MT does?
The reason I wish to do this is because, most mods I create from here on, will probably be for this subgame and not work with official MT so I'd really like to be able to keep the various mods separate.

Actually, the ability to have a separate mods and worlds folder would be really awesome. Because sadly I have a condition which has hit over the last couple years where I become easily confused and I have accidentally wiped 2 worlds from MT which were actually from my subgame. and I am illogically very upset about, as they both had some rather large builds which took quite some time.
My own fault tbh I should have thought to add a prefix name to each world title but.... : / this was an unfortunate after thought.
Flick?... Flick who?

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: Can I add a "mods" folder to my subgame?

by octacian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 15:13

Each game should have a unique name and be placed as a directory inside the "games" directory. Each game should have the following required structure:

game_name
--/menu
--/header.png
--/icon.png
--/mods (with all mods and modpacks inside)
--/game.conf (should set the game name, as does MTG)

You can (and probably should) also add a LICENSE and README.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 17:18

octacian wrote:Each game should have a unique name and be placed as a directory inside the "games" directory. Each game should have the following required structure:

game_name
--/menu
--/header.png
--/icon.png
--/mods (with all mods and modpacks inside)
--/game.conf (should set the game name, as does MTG)

You can (and probably should) also add a LICENSE and README.

Thank you for the reply octacian.
And yep, have all that but, when I add mods to the mod folder, they show up in the configure section of the menu as default (in blue) and no way to select or unselect them).

And if I have those same mods installed in MT Game, then they appear in the selectable category, as well as in the (blue) unselectable category as default mods for my game.

So I am not sure if this is just, what it is, or if there is some way to change it?
I mean, I "get" the structure of subgames, just curious if anyone has ever attempted to implement any changes to the directory structure for subgames so they can have their very own, individual mods folder and worlds folder which do not interfere or mingle with MT Game's directories.

This subgame is basically more for me to be able to create my own "perfect" MT. Not sure if I will ever share it or not, as of yet... more or less for that, as well as being able to experiment with all of my ideas, yet still be able to enjoy using the official MT aspects.
Flick?... Flick who?

burli

by burli » Wed Feb 01, 2017 17:38

TumeniNodes wrote:And yep, have all that but, when I add mods to the mod folder, they show up in the configure section of the menu as default (in blue) and no way to select or unselect them).

This is by intention. Afaik you can't have the same mod in the subgame mod folder and in the common mod folder.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 19:35

burli wrote:This is by intention. Afaik you can't have the same mod in the subgame mod folder and in the common mod folder.

Well, I mean..., you can, you just can't have the same mod in the default of your game as well as selected in the MT mods folder. ( I know sure that is exactly what you are saying anyway.. :P )
Because if the mod is in your mods folder in your subgame.., it is automatically selected by "default" you cannot unselect it in the menu. And if you select it from the MT game, (common) mod folder you run into a problem.

I guess the only sensible approach, is to keep the default mod for the subgame down to only the basic nodes required for map generation.
But I wish each subgame were able to have it's own independent system for storing mods created specifically for it, and worlds created while using it.
This way mods for the targeted subgame and worlds created using it, would not appear anywhere if you select Minetest_game, and vice-versa.

But then again... even a subgame is just basically a "mod" in itself
Flick?... Flick who?

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Wed Feb 01, 2017 20:14

Just make a modpack folder for your subgame specific/experimental mods inside the common mods dir.
Minetest allows for the selection of individual mods within a modpack
so long as the subgame doesn't have a duplicate of the mod there should be no problem.

twoelk

by twoelk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 23:31

you may be mixing things a little

mods can be kept in three kind of places:

• in a /game/somegame/mods folder such as the folder of the "Minetest Game", this could be a subfolder of someplace/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods or someotherplace/minetest(or "dot"minetest)/games/minetest_game/mods.
    any mod in a game is considered per design to be an essential part of said game and is not togglable. These mods apply to all maps created with this game but not to any map created by another game (although many games may include the same mods)

• in the /mods folder technically parallel to the /bin folder the executable is in.
    on different installations this may very well also be in some other minetest location such as a shared, system/game, user or hidden folder. Only mods in this place are togglable. Mods in this folder can be run with any map created by any game. This is therefore an easy place to create mod conflicts that might even crash minetest.

• in a /worlds/nameofsomeworld/worldmods folder inside the subfolder of a specific map that contains the map data. Mods in a worldmods folder are not togglable and will only and always run when this map is loaded. They cannot be accessed when any other map is loaded.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 00:29

Napiophelios wrote:Just make a modpack folder for your subgame specific/experimental mods inside the common mods dir.
Minetest allows for the selection of individual mods within a modpack
so long as the subgame doesn't have a duplicate of the mod there should be no problem.

I'm willing to give that a go, thanks.

edit at 7:29pm> Hmmmm, I wonder... so if I were to change my subgames "default" mods folder to a mod-pack???? Or even if default in Minetest game itself were a modpack.... that would make each mod in default selectable?

twoelk wrote:you may be mixing things a little

mods can be kept in three kind of places:

• in a /game/somegame/mods folder such as the folder of the "Minetest Game", this could be a subfolder of someplace/minetest/games/minetest_game/mods or someotherplace/minetest(or "dot"minetest)/games/minetest_game/mods.
    any mod in a game is considered per design to be an essential part of said game and is not togglable. These mods apply to all maps created with this game but not to any map created by another game (although many games may include the same mods)

• in the /mods folder technically parallel to the /bin folder the executable is in.
    on different installations this may very well also be in some other minetest location such as a shared, system/game, user or hidden folder. Only mods in this place are togglable. Mods in this folder can be run with any map created by any game. This is therefore an easy place to create mod conflicts that might even crash minetest.

• in a /worlds/nameofsomeworld/worldmods folder inside the subfolder of a specific map that contains the map data. Mods in a worldmods folder are not togglable and will only and always run when this map is loaded. They cannot be accessed when any other map is loaded.

I understand all of that. I am using the first option (which is only because this is how I have seen the other subgames go about it)

But, it would be nice or even ideal [i]if[i] there were some way to find a work-around so that when you create a subgame, you are also able to assign it, it's very own, individual/separate mods (selectable) and worlds folders, which reflect no changes or impact when selecting Minetest game.

Seeing as I am certain there just is no way for that at this time... I think I will simply set the game to use only the most basic mods required to load the map and the rest will have to be kept in minetest-game/mods folder (as is)

I definitely don't want to do per world though.
And it's really not that big of a deal, I was just wondering if anyone had ever thought about this and might have some magical way to go about it : )
Thank you twoelk
Flick?... Flick who?

Return to Subgame Discussion