Eye candy effects

est31

Re: Eye candy effects

by est31 » Wed May 27, 2015 09:25

Minetest does too much with the CPU already, while shaders are a better place for this.

Regarding paramat's comment: I think we can have more graphical features. If they look bad, they can be disabled, or not turned on the first place.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04

Wow, this candy effects are beautiful, i hope we will have them one day... :)

twoelk

by twoelk » Wed May 27, 2015 10:53

Interestingly I was thinking much along the same lines as paramat though the wording in my thoughts was less harsh ;-P

The thing I was rather thinking about though was sorting the stuff a little:

stuff that has been mentioned before and some work and thoughts have allready been put into (see some of the stuff RealBadAngel experimented with in the past. Some things have youtube videos). I can't remember who did the colored lights though, may have also been rba. Maybe we should gather all the info on experiments to each feature somewhere. I somehow have the notion that several people worked on shadows at different times.
Kenney wrote:1. Realtime water reflections, without adding a water shader (leaving the original water texture)
6. Light glow, from glowing items like torches and lava.
7. Realtime shadows, which truly enhance the complete experience of the game - in my opinion.
8. Color tinting for terrain and biomes, similar to Minecraft. Makes the world feel more natural.
10. Not really a visual effect, but rain/snow/thick fog.
9a. water texture being overlaid on blocks

There has been talk about reflections several times not only water but also glass and mirrors and I think I remember seeing mirrors in some Irrlicht demo game so maybe some more research should be put in this.
Light glow and realtime shadows are part of light from a defined lightsource and also include multiple lightsource problems. RBA had some examples on this and others as allready mentioned have also been experimenting with this.
Rain-snow-fog are there to some degree and some mods offer this. There is room to make this better though.
I don't know wether color tinting should be a default but I think the effect could be very usefull.

cinemagraphic-photolense effects
Kenney wrote:3. Focal blur
4. Lens dirt (mod can alter texture)
5. Lens flares

These things should by no means be part of default but could easily be something used for a special purpose like the camera mode. So that these effects can be used to simulate the deffects of optical devices that some use to achieve rather beautiful results. The idea of optical filters could well be something other mods could use to simulate, goggles, helmets or different atmospheres. (I'm not sure if focal blur could be programmed as filter though)

Too expensive/difficult at the moment. Should not be official goal of mainstream at the time. Maybe later. Though if some genius has a good idea no one will stop him.
Kenney wrote:2. Sun shafts when the sun is shining into a cave or darker area.
9b. Underwater effects like displacement, sun shafts.

To get things started I could think of several things that might help.

1. Minetest uses Irrlicht so whatever Irrlicht can provide should be possible to add to Minetest. We could use more research here.
  2. Minetest is opensource and can easily use whatever wheels other opensource projects have allready invented.
  3. Minetest is and can be inspired by anything. The more specific the request and detailed the example the better.
  4. As stated in other places, Minetest is made by a bunch of lunatics - so offering some bananas might get the herd focused.
  5. Offering some strategy and a line of goals not too far appart might get the community moving in some general same direction. Note though that there are several strategy / todo lists out there and one should at least study the official and semi-official ones before repeating the same things again. Maybe jumping on some train allready on the right tracks and promoting it would be better.
  6. Offering some non-player and non-coder things like organisation, infrastructure, documentation skills would probably help a lot.
    Things such as the mod contest could help and be promoted to garner activity in directions of interest.

phew, took me two days to write this, so some of it might be out of date allready ;-P
might add more links later
Last edited by twoelk on Wed May 27, 2015 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Wed May 27, 2015 19:00

ABJ wrote:How old is your machine, srifqi?

At my house (not all mine):
  • 7~8 years old laptop | Win7 32-bit | Intel N280 @ 1.66 GHz | 1 GB RAM
  • at least 8 years old PC | WinXP SP3 32-bit | Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.3 GHz | 2 GB RAM
  • ~1 year old laptop | Win8.1 64-bit | <haven't check> | 2 GB RAM

ABJ wrote:... I sort of understand why srifqi is worried. I heard that in Indonesia $$$ costs tens of thousands vs JUST 15.5 here and much less in rubenwardy place, I'm assuming.

That's almost right.
Now: 1 USD = ~Rp13.000,00 and 1 EUR = ~Rp14.000,00.

Kenney wrote:Yeah they absolutely all need to be optional for people will low-end computers, it would be best if any of these effects could be turned on and off so people can mix their own preference.

Yup. Optional settings.

est31 wrote:Minetest does too much with the CPU already,

Agreed.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed May 27, 2015 21:49

twoelk wrote:Interestingly I was thinking much along the same lines as paramat though the wording in my thoughts was less harsh ;-P

The thing I was rather thinking about though was sorting the stuff a little:

stuff that has been mentioned before and some work and thoughts have allready been put into (see some of the stuff RealBadAngel experimented with in the past. Some things have youtube videos). I can't remember who did the colored lights though, may have also been rba. Maybe we should gather all the info on experiments to each feature somewhere. I somehow have the notion that several people worked on shadows at different times.
1. Realtime water reflections, without adding a water shader (leaving the original water texture)
7. Realtime shadows, which truly enhance the complete experience of the game - in my opinion.
8. Color tinting for terrain and biomes, similar to Minecraft. Makes the world feel more natural.
9a. water texture being overlaid on blocks

There has been talk about reflections several times not only water but also glass and mirrors and I think I remember seeing mirrors in some Irrlicht demo game so maybe some more research should be put in this.
Light glow and realtime shadows are part of light from a defined lightsource and also include multiple lightsource problems. RBA had some examples on this and others as allready mentioned have also been experimenting with this.
Rain-snow-fog are there to some degree and some mods offer this. There is room to make this better though.
I don't know wether color tinting should be a default but I think the effect could be very usefull.

cinemagraphic-photolense effects
3. Focal blur
5. Lens flares

These things should by no means be part of default but could easily be something used for a special purpose like the camera mode. So that these effects can be used to simulate the deffects of optical devices that some use to achieve rather beautiful results. The idea of optical filters could well be something other mods could use to simulate, goggles, helmets or different atmospheres. (I'm not sure if focal blur could be programmed as filter though)

Too expensive/difficult at the moment. Should not be official goal of mainstream at the time. Maybe later. Though if some genius has a good idea no one will stop him.
2. Sun shafts when the sun is shining into a cave or darker area.
9b. Underwater effects like displacement, sun shafts.

To get things started I could think of several things that might help.

1. Minetest uses Irrlicht so whatever Irrlicht can provide should be possible to add to Minetest. We could use more research here.
  2. Minetest is opensource and can easily use whatever wheels other opensource projects have allready invented.
  3. Minetest is and can be inspired by anything. The more specific the request and detailed the example the better.
  4. As stated in other places, Minetest is made by a bunch of lunatics - so offering some bananas might get the herd focused.
  5. Offering some strategy and a line of goals not too far appart might get the community moving in some general same direction. Note though that there are several strategy / todo lists out there and one should at least study the official and semi-official ones before repeating the same things again. Maybe jumping on some train allready on the right tracks and promoting it would be better.
  6. Offering some non-player and non-coder things like organisation, infrastructure, documentation skills would probably help a lot.
    Things such as the mod contest could help and be promoted to garner activity in directions of interest.

phew, took me two days to write this, so some of it might be out of date allready ;-P
might add more links later

+100 to that post. Probably one of my favorites.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Thu May 28, 2015 03:23

Man srifqi's numbers ARE huge!
And this is still Asia. Yet I could buy thousands more value of things than him. :O #dollardifference

BTT, BuildAWorld is in Irrlicht, but I couldn't RUN IT it had so much better graphics :D. Just telling so ppl don't think this is s****d.

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu May 28, 2015 15:42

Well philipbenr you aren't doing ME any harm with that cost, but you should be aware that you're MURDERING srifqi with the numbers 3:-)

BTW srifqi you've messed up the signs. You put the decimal point where there should be comma and comma in decimal point's place.

srifqi

by srifqi » Thu May 28, 2015 16:03

ABJ wrote:Well philipbenr you aren't doing ME any harm with that cost, but you should be aware that you're MURDERING srifqi with the numbers 3:-)

It is okay, as long as it is optional, that will be okay :)

ABJ wrote:BTW srifqi you've messed up the signs. You put the decimal point where there should be comma and comma in decimal point's place.

Sometimes, I confused to choose locale. Should I use my country's rule to IDR or not.
Terjemahkan Minetest!

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu May 28, 2015 17:58

-No I was talking about the PC's :D
-Ooooooh sorry didn't know you ppl had that kind of thing :)

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Thu May 28, 2015 18:05

Yeah, some of the European countries (and maybe some others) use the period where we would use a comma and a comma where we would use a period in numbers. As long as you remember that some places are different from yours and that is one of the differences, it's not a huge deal to translate it but is a little confusing at first.

I say srifqi, use whatever style you are used to using and let the other people translate them.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu May 28, 2015 22:40

I know, it is not Minetest, but I just want to point to Terasology, it has many visual effects.
http://blog.movingblocks.net/blockmania/

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Thu May 28, 2015 22:50

@Wuzzy: Very true. I haven't played, but I have seen.

@srifqi: I'm guessing that the Windows8 laptop is the one you use. I mean, if you were to "downgrade" to Linux, then you would probably be able to do fine.

I generally run Minetest on a 1.8 Ghz i3, with 4GB of Ram, although the ram shouldn't matter too much. I get nearly 30fps with a bunch mods and some tuned down settings...

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri May 29, 2015 09:17

LionsDen wrote:Yeah, some of the European countries (and maybe some others) use the period where we would use a comma and a comma where we would use a period in numbers. As long as you remember that some places are different from yours and that is one of the differences, it's not a huge deal to translate it but is a little confusing at first.

I say srifqi, use whatever style you are used to using and let the other people translate them.

#true
It's just that I've never seen such a thing before.
And yeah srifqi use your own style! ;)

srifqi

by srifqi » Fri May 29, 2015 15:09

Wuzzy wrote:I know, it is not Minetest, but I just want to point to Terasology, it has many visual effects.
http://blog.movingblocks.net/blockmania/

Yes, it is. Wonderful. I've tried to play it, but then an error occured:
Terasology wrote:Your graphic card does not support shaders.

****!

philipbenr wrote:@srifqi: I'm guessing that the Windows8 laptop is the one you use. I mean, if you were to "downgrade" to Linux, then you would probably be able to do fine.

Wrong. As what I said:
srifqi wrote:...(not all mine)

That's not what I usually use. Have ever tried there, and knew that the graphic card is OLDER!
I usually use the Win7 laptop. Sometimes, I use WinXP SP3 computer (it has the highest version of OpenGL; at least 2, I forget the version), but it has processor special bug (because of old?). So, I rarely use it now.

LionsDen wrote:I say srifqi, use whatever style you are used to using and let the other people translate them.

Aye aye captain! :D

ABJ wrote:#true
It's just that I've never seen such a thing before.
And yeah srifqi use your own style! ;)

Congrats! Your knowledge has increased a bit. :D
Terjemahkan Minetest!

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri May 29, 2015 15:43

Terasology wrote:Update to Java 8

* ***** ***** *** *** *****!!!!!!!!!
Build A World wrote:Your NVidia video card is outdated

***'*!!!!

srifqi wrote:Congrats! Your knowledge has increased a bit! :D

<=the truth

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri May 29, 2015 23:04

Sorry for offence caused, part of my post was unreasonable.

Weather effects would be good, i made some experiments in lua using particles (which are currently slow) for snow, and actual rain nodes under dark cloud nodes:
snowdrift https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6854
rain https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9915

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sat May 30, 2015 01:34

srifqi wrote:
philipbenr wrote:@srifqi: I'm guessing that the Windows8 laptop is the one you use. I mean, if you were to "downgrade" to Linux, then you would probably be able to do fine.

Wrong. As what I said:
srifqi wrote:...(not all mine)

That's not what I usually use. Have ever tried there, and knew that the graphic card is OLDER!
I usually use the Win7 laptop. Sometimes, I use WinXP SP3 computer (it has the highest version of OpenGL; at least 2, I forget the version), but it has processor special bug (because of old?). So, I rarely use it now.

Whoops. Didn't see that...

I'm really bothered by these sort of things, and I don't know why. I think that it is because I had to live with a very slow computer for a long time, not to mention extreeeeemely slow internet, and I know exactly how you feel. I downgraded to Linux from win XP and it did a wonder of good. (Pentium4 and 480-ish MBs of Ram...) Sorrry for dragging out so much offtopic...

Antsan

In-game: Antsan

by Antsan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 07:59

paramat wrote:Focal blur: Very stupid, assumes we are focusing on a particular distance, looking at anything other than that distance, which is most of the scene, is painful for the eyes.

I assumed you'd* use a depth-blur with variable distance calculated as the distance from the camera to the intersection between the view axis and the terrain.

*probably not actually you

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 14:53

I'm no expert at graphic effects, but SuperTuxKart (the other open-source game that I play) recently upgraded their graphics engine to an engine named "Antarctica" (a derivative of Irrlicht that they made themselves). Most of the things shown in the screenshots at the beginning of this thread are possible with the Antarctica engine. This is just an idea, but maybe we could borrow the graphics engine? Not sure if this is possible, but I'm just brainstorming. ;) Of course, you'd have to talk with the developers.

The only effect I didn't like in the screenshots was the focal blur.
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:04

I liked most all of them, except for the lense dirt.
The ones that don't represent real life could be in cinematic mode.
I think that most of those would be done with sharers and better lighting code.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 17:06

@Kpenguin: Yeah, I noticed that. I did enjoy looking at the update even though I am having issues with it. Then again, it only just came out recently, so... that is to be expected. It is true. Most of those effects are the ones that have been posted above, so it is possible...

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 08:29

Kenney wrote:1. Realtime water reflections, without adding a water shader (leaving the original water texture)
2. Sun shafts when the sun is shining into a cave or darker area.
3. Focal blur
5. Lens flares
9. Underwater effects like displacement, sun shafts and water texture being overlaid on blocks.

1. This effect can be faked using an environment map. Ofc, ray tracing would give refraction and reflection for 'free' (while being harder to implement).
2. This effect is also known as 'god rays', it can be faked as a 2D postprocessing effect: http://fabiensanglard.net/lightScattering/
3. Also known as depth of field - see e.g. http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch23.html
4. Can be added as post processing, just render some dirt splats into the finished image
5. Eww. This overrated effect is easily archieved using some textures, see https://www.opengl.org/archives/resourc ... LensFlare/ but WHY?
6. This effect is also known as Bloom, see e.g. http://prideout.net/archive/bloom/
7. Either shadow volumes http://joshbeam.com/articles/stenciled_ ... in_opengl/ or shadow maps http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/intermed ... w-mapping/
8. Would be possible by multiplying the texture color with a random color, picked by a fair dice roll from average color +- some deviation, see e.g. http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questi ... -a-texture
9. Caustics: https://www.opengl.org/archives/resourc ... /caustics/
10. There's a weather mod, see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5245

Theese definately would need to be toggleable, so they can be disabled. I absolutely HATE motion blur (with a passion), I disable it in all games.

btw: Here's a really great tutorial on modern OpenGL: http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Sep 13, 2015 17:49

Exilyth wrote:btw: Here's a really great tutorial on modern OpenGL: http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

What about Open.GL?

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 17:52

Calinou wrote:
Exilyth wrote:btw: Here's a really great tutorial on modern OpenGL: http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

What about Open.GL?

Nice, didn't know about that, thank you.

AgentNagel42

In-game: AgentNagel42

by AgentNagel42 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:54

gotta say this is pretty darn cool I vote for a build that could include all these!
(of course you could disable different ones to tailor it for your PC)

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 21:00

Today I was thinking about how to make waterfalls/steep rivers look fast, and I came up with an idea: would it work to have the water tinted to a nodedef-specified color(In this case for water, white) as the sides get more vertical? Maybe even make the animation play faster as it's more vertical, too?
Vertical shadows would be cool, too, so that buildings would be darker inside, and caves are dark near the entrance instead of being much brighter for a large area inside. The current AO is pretty light even with something 2-3 nodes above it.
Lens flares are also fairly easy, as is lens dirt.
A cheap way to do color tinting per-biome would be put a tinted color on the player's screen(Like lava and water) depending on the biome.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

bubizubi

by bubizubi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 20:42

Can anyone port Real-Time Global Illumination from Tesseract to Minetest? It drastically improves graphics by simulating bouncing of the light in real time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYUNgr22m8

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 07:33

that would require a total rewrite of the engine.
it's not possible to port things into minetest that are not supported by the engine.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 17:48

I would record at least 1 Lets Play episode with these on even if it meant getting like 10 fps in game...if they are ever added...

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 09:03

Watching a YouTube video of someone playing minetest at very low fps is quite annoying and I'd personally prefer all of the special effects turned off to improve smoothness of gameplay.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Features