Build Minetest iOS version for,get $1000

chen261014

IRC: juckhell
In-game: juckhell

Build Minetest iOS version for,get $1000

by chen261014 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 07:58

Is there any body could port minetest to iOS for me?

i would give you $1000 as salary,if you are interested ,please email me af261014@gmail.com

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

Re: Build Minetest iOS version for,get $1000

by Gael de Sailly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 19:46

The main principle of Minetest (and most of free software) is that it's completely disinterested. Proposing a lucrative job for Minetest is simply violating our principles.
That's very strange, I know, on this world on which everything is bought, but here proposing $1000 is only making people ignoring your request!
Porting Minetest to iOS may be discussed (but I have very little hope on it), provided it's for free.

And I seriously doubt whether you would really give $1000 just for getting an iOS Minetest.
Very busy this year too, so do not expect me to be very active on the forum or in game. But I'm not about to drop Minetest forever :)

BobbyBonsaimind

GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

by BobbyBonsaimind » Fri Jan 22, 2016 21:26

Gael de Sailly wrote:The main principle of Minetest (and most of free software) is that it's completely disinterested. Proposing a lucrative job for Minetest is simply violating our principles.

Uh, that is not quite correct for FLOSS in general. Pretty much every FLOSS license allows you to sell the software and/or services around them (support, build, etc.). There are more than enough projects which accept donations or have bounties on bugs and features, there are a lot FLOSS projects which make money in one way or another (selling support, selling build services, consulting, or paid development to get a feature or bug fixed).

Now, I can't speak for the whole Minetest community, but last time Kenny but out some bounties people seemed quite positive about it.

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 22:06

That may be legal, but that's not morally correct (in my opinion).
Very busy this year too, so do not expect me to be very active on the forum or in game. But I'm not about to drop Minetest forever :)

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 01:08

I dislike the GNU licenses for this very reason, they are rather complicated in the name of "freedom", even though they are rather restrictive.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28

Can we please stay on topic?

I don't think we need to discuss if one thinks it is immoral. There is no restriction in the license that inhibits a port. And this is also a method used to develop features for LibreOffice.

If chen261014 wants to spent 1000$ on an iOS port for MT then then let him/her. Although he/she should be aware that there is no legal way to distribute LGPL licensed code (like Minetest) via their public app store. http://stackoverflow.com/a/9070734

BobbyBonsaimind

GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

by BobbyBonsaimind » Sat Jan 23, 2016 13:05

benrob0329 wrote:I dislike the GNU licenses for this very reason, they are rather complicated in the name of "freedom", even though they are rather restrictive.

Well, they are about *preserving* freedom, not granting absolute freedom. The BSD likes on the other side are about granting absolute freedom, without preserving it (good example is the Playstation, they are running on BSD kernels, and as far as I know not a single contribution has found its way back to the BSD projects).

Unfortunately there can be no middle ground to this.

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:06

Lock this thread, or maybe even delete it. We don't need bounty hunters in the community.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
I'm a Minetest player, 'learning' C++ and OpenGL, listening to Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Amon Amarth. Administrator on Craig's server. Likes cookies.
I live in Serbia.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 01:14

There is no basis in locking this thread. I'm considering offering bounties for certain features I'd like to see but don't have the time or the skills to implement. I see it as buying the contributor a coffee and cake or two in return for their help. Just because Minetest is available for gratis doesn't mean the all contributors must work for gratis. Minetest is about freedom, not necessarily gratis.

The best FOSS software is written by paid employes. Linux, Android (although not entirely FOSS), and VirtualBox iirc.

Gael de Sailly wrote:That may be legal, but that's not morally correct (in my opinion).

I'd argue that it's more morally wrong to demand

Gael de Sailly wrote:Proposing a lucrative job for Minetest is simply violating our principles.

I disagree with this. Violating our principles would be attempting to make it closed source. Offering a reward for help isn't a violation imo.

Saying that, $1000 is a very unrealistic bountry. Especially given that you wouldn't make much money out of an iOS port, unless it's put illegally on the app store.

lisacvuk wrote:We don't need bounty hunters in the community.

Why not? Wouldn't it be nice to have more skilled developers working on the project? Just because they make something doesn't mean that it will be accepted and merged, if it is of low quality. And if it's of good quality, then good.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Tue Jan 26, 2016 14:42

Rewarding publicly with money on such a place might introduce jealousy, unhealthy avidity and individualism — this isn't the Wild West. But I guess it depends of cultures, some are more rightist / liberal and find that normal.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Jan 26, 2016 21:58

rubenwardy wrote:
Gael de Sailly wrote:Proposing a lucrative job for Minetest is simply violating our principles.

I disagree with this. Violating our principles would be attempting to make it closed source. Offering a reward for help isn't a violation imo.

I agree with you. Open source/free-as-in-freedom is not mutually exclusive with commercial, per se. As an example, ASEprite charges $10 for the binaries and guarantees free updates up to version 1.9 (you also have a free demo version with some features disabled). But even then, you are free to take the source code (it's GPL'd, free as in freedom) and build it yourself. Seems like a reasonable model in my opinion.

That said, this "bounty" looks like the usual "help me build a custom version I can sell in $MARKETPLACE [and don't give source to anyone]". Would like to see a clarification from the OP regarding this.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Martin_Devil

GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by Martin_Devil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:08

Xcode is now open source. This means that anyone can build Minetest for iOS, in accordance with the LGPL.
This is true?

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:43

Not really, the GNU licenses are anti DRM (a reason not to use them) so you can't post it on a DRM based store.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 19:50

benrob0329 wrote:Not really, the GNU licenses are anti DRM (a reason not to use them) so you can't post it on a DRM based store.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7905 ... -licensing
"Unlike GPL version 3, which prohibits using the code if you are implementing copy protection or DRM software, you can use LGPL version 3 licensed code in an application which includes copy protection or DRM."

https://lwn.net/Articles/526355/

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 22:07

Ah, I did not know that, thanks!

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 22:13

I will make more interesting.
If we can have official Minetest in App Store, i paid $ 5,000 to the person who will make a quality port!
And if you do not want money, I will sacrifice them wherever you want (animal welfare, aid to refugees etc.) and send you a confirmation.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 15:02

hmmm i would be willing to port minetest to iOS (if i ever get an iphone) and for free XD. and i was wondering if it would be possible to use some sort of launcher for minetest on iOS that way the launcher could be licenced under some proprietary license just so it could be put on the app store. and the launcher would download minetest which is obviously open source software (please excuse my bad grammar)

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 15:09

stormchaser3000 wrote:hmmm i would be willing to port minetest to iOS (if i ever get an iphone) and for free XD. and i was wondering if it would be possible to use some sort of launcher for minetest on iOS that way the launcher could be licenced under some proprietary license just so it could be put on the app store. and the launcher would download minetest which is obviously open source software (please excuse my bad grammar)

I'm sure that Apple does not allow it to add the App Store.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 16:16

Martin_Devil wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:hmmm i would be willing to port minetest to iOS (if i ever get an iphone) and for free XD. and i was wondering if it would be possible to use some sort of launcher for minetest on iOS that way the launcher could be licenced under some proprietary license just so it could be put on the app store. and the launcher would download minetest which is obviously open source software (please excuse my bad grammar)

I'm sure that Apple does not allow it to add the App Store.

that is why i said a proprietary license for the launcher (the thing i would add to the store) if only apple wasn't so incredibly restrictive as to how you can download applications on ios.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 16:46

If the app store is anything like Google play, it won't allow you to do that.

Note the the app store doesn't disallow free and open source software, it's just that the gpl license isn't compatible.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 18:36

rubenwardy wrote:If the app store is anything like Google play, it won't allow you to do that.

Note the the app store doesn't disallow free and open source software, it's just that the gpl license isn't compatible.

Do not confuse the GPL and LGPL. GPL does not fully compatible, but LGPL partially compatible. But, unfortunately, I can not find an exact answer.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 19:21

The MPL and CDDL seem like good in between licenses.

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:45

Is there any package format for iOS? If not, then we shouldn't even support it.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
I'm a Minetest player, 'learning' C++ and OpenGL, listening to Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Amon Amarth. Administrator on Craig's server. Likes cookies.
I live in Serbia.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 00:49

lisacvuk wrote:Is there any package format for iOS? If not, then we shouldn't even support it.

there isn't from what i know (except possibly some unofficial ones that require a jailbreak)

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:10

You could even distribute minetest with the launcher as long as the user can replace the version of minetest you ship with a different one. Of course Apple might not like that because it allows arbitrary code to be executed.

Return to Minetest Features