Minetest on iPhones

cody-golding

IRC: longerstaff13 or Optical_Long
In-game: longerstaff13 or DCD

Minetest on iPhones

by cody-golding » Tue Feb 09, 2016 02:21

Most people wonder why there is no Minetest on iPhones and other iDevices ... If any1 has a question, they could ask it here :-)
My server is LS-World or more commonly known as LS-Creative.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

Re: Minetest on iPhones

by DS-minetest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 15:26

there is a build for iphones of minetest: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=9190
ive got an iphone 4 but linux on pc and dont know how to put minetest into .applications, like it says. once the connection via usb to pc worked, but only the one time
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 15:53

Isn't that for OS X, not iOS

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:05

i have just got an ios device. i might be able to port the android code (once i fix the screen as it has the wrong type of screen installed in it (my aunt got the wrong screen on accident))

iZacZip

GitHub: N-A
IRC: iZacZip
In-game: iZacZip-Zac-Zippy

by iZacZip » Thu May 12, 2016 18:55

DS-minetest: There is no official version of MineTest on the Apple App Store.
Your link, (viewtopic.php?t=9190), is for OS X, Apple's computer operating system.

Anyways, still keep your eyes pealed. One day it *might* come out..!
Sincerely, iZacZip.

I'm mostly found as iZacZip.
Preferably call me Zac or iZac.
If I'm in-game and don't reply:
I'm AFK, playing without the chat,
or not bothering to type.

"Don't know where you kids are-
in the house? Turn off the Internet,
and I'm sure they'll turn up straight away."~Anonymous

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Thu May 12, 2016 19:28

cody-golding wrote:Most people wonder why there is no Minetest on iPhones and other iDevices ... If any1 has a question, they could ask it here :-)

Short answer: Apple forbids GPL software on the store.

mystik

GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Fri May 13, 2016 17:42

MykieDoesStuff

In-game: MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Sat May 14, 2016 14:45

You do not have to use the appstore to have apps...

I've downloaded couple apps without the store, and these apps are NOT in the appstore too...
For fast response... send me a PM

mystik

GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Sat May 14, 2016 16:12

iDevMe wrote:You do not have to use the appstore to have apps...

I've downloaded couple apps without the store, and these apps are NOT in the appstore too...

Right -- of course. Sideloading's a thing. But because of the GPL issue, installing an official + legal MT app via the store will require some more work besides 'tap install'.

cody-golding

IRC: longerstaff13 or Optical_Long
In-game: longerstaff13 or DCD

by cody-golding » Wed Nov 30, 2016 01:41

Right. I don't have an IDevice anymore, I now use an Android phone that can use Minetest. Thanks anyway, and sorry for the late reply.

-longerstaff13
My server is LS-World or more commonly known as LS-Creative.

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 23:51

There are certainly unofficial builds of MT for iOS devices. Two that come to mind are WorldCraft and BuildCraft. both based on the core Minetest engine. But, from what I understand they don't adhere to the terms of the GPL license since the source code is unreleased.

http://wiki.minetest.net/Licensing

It's possible that FreeMiner is also available for the iPad and iPhone. However, I have very little knowledge of that app, other than through hearsay. It might be worth checking out this topic on their forum. The last two replies are particularly telling.

http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/buildcraft.55/

or, you know, the problem could be that they're using mobile devices on which Minetest/Freeminer aren't available, and the only option is using Buildcraft.

Minetest is an Open-Source-Project. Everyone can port it to any device.

That really does raise the question, why in the world has nobody yet successfully ported MT to the iOS in a fully legal capacity?

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Tue Jan 03, 2017 08:38

There is also Exploration which lead a few people on our server. iOS, Android and bada support. License violation possible. (Not mentioned on the website (not a requirement), but i have not tested the apps)

http://www.explorationbase.com
Last edited by lightonflux on Wed Jan 04, 2017 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:50

sorcerykid wrote:That really does raise the question, why in the world has nobody yet successfully ported MT to the iOS in a fully legal capacity?

because appple does not allow projects released under LGPL to be on the app store because of legal issues(that is how it was the last time i checked)

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 14:42

lightonflux wrote:There is also Exploration which lead a few people on our server. iOS, Android and bada support. License violation very possible. (Not mentioned on the website (not a requirement), and i have not tested the apps)

http://www.explorationbase.com

The link you posted is wrong. The "Exploration" Minetest-based clone does not have a website and only appears on the Play Store.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Tue Jan 03, 2017 15:00

What do you mean with wrong?

The game is called Exploration and there is a link to the app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exploration/id472963415

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 15:05

That game is not a Minetest clone, I checked. There is a different game also called "Exploration" on the Play Store.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 18:30

stormchaser3000 wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:That really does raise the question, why in the world has nobody yet successfully ported MT to the iOS in a fully legal capacity?

because appple does not allow projects released under LGPL to be on the app store because of legal issues(that is how it was the last time i checked)

But users don't need the App Store to install software. Almost half the apps on my iPad were obtained through Cydia repositories. And honestly, I would prefer installing Minetest via jailbreak anyway because it affords more control over the installation, and it also ensures compliance with the end-user license agreement.

lightonflux

by lightonflux » Wed Jan 04, 2017 04:35

sfan5 wrote:That game is not a Minetest clone, I checked. There is a different game also called "Exploration" on the Play Store.

Oh sorry did not know. Is it compatible? We had some iPad players that said they connected via the app to our 0.4.14 server.

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03

spyjoshx

In-game: spyjoshx

by spyjoshx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 22:37

Yes, a cydia version would definitely be a good idea. The only problem is, actually Jailbreaking their devices would turn most people off...

trev

In-game: trev

by trev » Thu Jan 12, 2017 20:02

For those who have OSX/macOS, I wonder if they could use Xcode and compile it themselves. I haven't used Xcode much, but it has an iOS emulator. I wonder if you could find the .ipa package and copy it to the iPhone via something like https://www.macblurayplayer.com/iphone-explorer.htm. I'm not sure if that company is legit, I just Googled "iPhone explorer". An alternative might include: https://www.ibrowseapp.com/. Additionally, here is an open source one that requires jailbreaking: https://code.google.com/archive/p/iphonebrowser/.

It may even be possible to build and then send to an iPhone with Xcode only. I've never developed for OSX/macOS, so I am not sure if that's possible.

So we could in theory pull this off by distributing an Xcode project (which might allow us to not jailbreak, but only works for Mac users). Further, we could make it available to all users by just distributing the binary package. Of course, this will definitely require jailbreaking.

Practically, though, the hardest part will be writing the iOS version. If you look at the source, a considerable amount of Java had to be written to create the NDK environment and launch the C++ runtime for Android. In the C++, even, there are #ifdefs that check if Android is the target and do special things...

So that means that developing for iOS is bound to be similar. If we insist on jailbreaking, more APIs will be available, and we can probably use C's system() as a easy (but very insecure) way to manage the filesystem and resource location.

If we don't develop for jailbroken only, then we will have to add some Objective-C++ to the engine (rather than a "launcher", as in Android), which is a hassle, especially because Objective-C isn't even a language for the project. It might be possible to use Objective-C++ to create, say, a class IPhoneUtil that would wrap the Obj-C and keep it in one implementation file...

tl;dr:
Supporting iPhone requires engine changes, which isn't easy, but it is possible!! Anyway, it will likely need jailbreak to work.
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Fri Jan 13, 2017 03:27

I would suggest first making a Cydia version, as a proof of concept. At least we know it is feasible, and and there would be significantly less barriers porting it to iOS via jailbreak than trying to work around the AppStore restrictions.

Also a significant proportion of the Minetest community are people that like to tinker with technology :) Let's face it, while while jailbreaking would certainly be a turn off to kids that are simply wanting a distraction after school or in the car, for the rest of us die-hard players, it would be a welcome addition by in large.

spyjoshx

In-game: spyjoshx

by spyjoshx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 16:08

Totally agree. An example of that sort of thing is the open source media cebter: Kodi. They have easy-to-install mehods for open platforms like windows, mac, linux, android and so on. But they also have a version for jailbroken ios.

trev

In-game: trev

by trev » Sat Jan 14, 2017 15:33

Yep yep!
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

Return to Minetest Features