thinking about skybox work

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

thinking about skybox work

by TumeniNodes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 19:35

SO, I have been thinking about doing some work with the skybox mod (I think RBA did?) Sadly I cannot remember where I dl it from (which thread / which forum section).
It is the Moon Realm one with the Earth.
Anyway, I have installed new textures, and also removed the lines which disable the day cycle. It gives a decent effect. Though it blocks the sun/moon and clouds, it still looks fairly nice. Just would be much improved if the textures can change when it starts to get dark

What I am wanting to do, is to keep it as is with my new textures, but to have the mod switch to another set for night textures at a certain moment in the day cycle. Nothing too extravagant, just one change of textures once it hits maybe around 8 at night (I do not know the Minetest time off hand :P)

Now, I just have to know what I'm doing, and..., do it. :P Not even sure if it is possible..., just posting this to hopefully gain some interest and maybe others who think it sounds like a good idea and have more experience / knowledge with Lua then my noob-self : )
But I think it would be a nice feature
Flick?... Flick who?

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: thinking about skybox work

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13775
this should help!
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

Re: thinking about skybox work

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 13:05

Yes, thank you..., I have looked that over.
Not sure it would have much similarity. My idea will rely on a hook or trigger to switch to a 2d set of alternate textures at a given time period in the day cycle. Just so you are not looking at a bright sky, when it should be much darker, night.
It's probably not that difficult to do..., but being completely new still to Lua, it will take me some time (if it is even possible in this setting).
I was looking over some work (had to do with Sonic) where they use a Lua script to switch the skybox as you enter each new realm of the game, and is based on triggers which are set off by the player pos.
Some small part of that is similar to what I need to find..., except the trigger I will be trying to use, will be linked to the day cycle, rather than by player position
Anyway, it's just something I've thought about trying for a little while, and think it would be pretty cool
Flick?... Flick who?

Return to Minetest Features