World-specific minetest.conf?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

World-specific minetest.conf?

by Wuzzy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 13:33

Is it already possible that Minetest supports minetest.conf files specific to a particular world? All settings in such a file should overwrite settings of the “global” minetest.conf.
I know a similar thing already exists for subgames.

If it's not yet possible, I propose to add such a thing because I think this would be useful.
If implemented, the order or preference should be this (“>” = “overwrites”):
World-specific minetest.conf > Subgame-specific minetest.conf > Global minetest.conf > Default settings

I also propose to add the server command “setw”. It's the same as “set” the only difference is that it uses the world-specific minetest.conf (for the current world) instead.

Use case: I often tend to do “/set time_speed 0” on worlds where I just want to test stuff (this disables the movement of the sun), but I still want to have the normal behaviour for all other worlds for actual playing. Too bad this always changes the global time_speed which is annoying. With “/setw time_speed 0” I can set it for the current world only.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

Re: World-specific minetest.conf?

by everamzah » Mon Jul 25, 2016 13:37

I'd rather see player profile-specific minetest.conf. So if I'm playing on profile "everamzah" I can get everamzah's config, and if I am playing on "test" profile, then I can get my test configuration.

Per world configuration is easily solved with --world <name> --config name.conf

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 13:43

I'd rather see player profile-specific minetest.conf. So if I'm playing on profile "everamzah" I can get everamzah's config, and if I am playing on "test" profile, then I can get my test configuration.

1) This is off-topic
2) User accounts are / should be taken care of by the OS. Minetest should not reinvent the wheel.

Per world configuration is easily solved with --world <name> --config name.conf

This works if you want a specific config file for a single time. But I want a persistent per-world configuration. Requiring the user to restart Minetest from the command line each time a new world with “special” config is loaded is very, VERY bad usability.

bigfoot547

GitHub: bigfoot547
In-game: bigfoot547

by bigfoot547 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 00:34

Hey! I made a mod for this!
The Forum Topic

So... I hope this helps!
God's not dead, He's surely alive!
My Stuff | My User Page | Check out my website!
<bigfoot547> I major in existing. | <RedPanda246> Not every day is good, but there is good in every day.
I, bigfoot, have this special ability to destroy cameras and recording devices within a 5 mile radius of myself. Mystery solved.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 13:34

I think this should be a core feature as there is no good reason to not have it; it should be available for all worlds, not just when you have this mod enabled. But it's a start.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Tue Oct 18, 2016 14:59

I for one, would really want this as a baked in feature. Say it checks the game folder for the conf first. This way We wouldn't need different installations of MT for our multiple servers.

Also, Multiple Debug files per game or world to keep things simply complicated. ;-)

Return to Minetest Features