Minetest latest experimental features

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Minetest latest experimental features [0.4.14+]

by ABJ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 08:27

Good work people. But I think limiting zoom to privs is essentially useless in Minetest, as few people would care about making a binoculars, as in practical situations, they would have no time to switch inventory to get it. I feel that it is a better way to implement it by default as if it were a needed functionality, and leaving the rest to mods,

Arcelmi

GitHub: Arcelmi
IRC: Arcelmi
In-game: Arcelmi

by Arcelmi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25

I've made a binoculars mod! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15916
I've got a signature!
I don't speak very good English...

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Mon Nov 21, 2016 17:38

Some interesting bits on engine:

• Enable mod security by default / Oct 16, 2016 / Protects against rogue mods, at the moment breaks some mods, disable if problems arise
  • Don't use day light sky unless noclip and free_move are enabled / Oct 17, 2016 / Now if you fly underground your background will look properly, enable noclip and fly to see bright background
  • Damage flash: Reduce maximum alpha. Avoid fade overload / Oct 21, 2016 / Now you can see better in combat when you take damage
  • Harmonize Irrlicht and shader fog calculations / Oct 24, 2016 / Fog fixes, since those recent changes it looks so much better
  • Improved lighting and other / Oct 27, 2016 / Lighting algorithm fixes, famous water on water drawing with bucket bug is fixed
  • Optionally disable optimization that causes underwater and cave rendering / Oct 31, 2016 / Now you can disable optimisation and enjoy much better rendering of ocean and caves, it costs some fps though
  • Only give singleplayer 4 basic privs / Nov 7, 2016 / No more outright cheating in singleplayer, only basic privs are available
  • Fix bugs caused by 'ignore' nodes / Nov 7, 2016 / Related to massive sand collapsing errors
  • Don't use reduced vertical limits for mapblock send and generation / Nov 7, 2016 / Player will see blocks to higher heights.
  • Occlusion culling: Fix 'end offset' distance, half this for centre point / Nov 8, 2016 / Adds a bit more occluded blocks causing slightly faster FPS
  • Retrieve mapblocks from the server in a sphere, not a cube / Nov 8, 2016 / Should reduce amount of stuff sent over network
  • Draw bottom of the sky box in 'cloudy fog color' / Nov 8, 2016 / Fixes very old "bug", now bottom part of scene is blended into fog nicely.
  • Fix incorrect distance computation for visible blocks / Nov 11, 2016 / Some mapblocks not rendered for people on very low rendering ranges, fixed.
  • Highlight selected face / Nov 12, 2016 / Feature, that allows you to highlight given face of the block
  • Add control information to player interacts / Nov 12, 2016 / Useful for modders
  • Rename nodeupdate and nodeupdate_single and make them part of the official API / Nov 14, 2016 / Useful for modders
  • Mgv7: Add optional floatlands, disabled by default / Nov 16, 2016 / If enabled, floatlands will start at 1280, they look quite nice, large in size, have biomes and water.
  • Enable tool breaking sounds / Nov 18, 2016 / Support for breaking sound of tools is added to engine

Interesting changes of Minetest game:

• Add damage and falling damage sounds / Oct 24, 2016 / New sounds
  • Add flint and steel sound Oct 24, 2016 / New sounds
  • Change many metal nodes to use default metal sounds / Oct 25, 2016 / New sounds on metal nodes
  • Make flammable: Flowers, grasses and several crafitems / Oct 25, 2016 / They burn
  • Add bush stem and leaves nodes / Oct 27, 2016 / Bushes will be introduced soon
  • Allow buckets to trigger the on_punch of entities and nodes / Nov 2, 2016 / Useful for modders
  • Flammable TNT and gunpowder that activates when burnt / Nov 2, 2016 / Fire can activate gunpowder and TNT
  • Add and edit fuel registrations / Nov 2, 2016 / Various wooden stuff can be used in furnace now
  • Make flint-and-steel use node on_ignite functions / Nov 7, 2016 / You can figure it on your own
  • Don't auto-grant home priv to singleplayer / Nov 7, 2016 / No more cheating in singleplayer, use bed
  • Make snowblock change / Nov 10, 2016 / Putting snowblock over dirt will turn it into dirt with snow
  • Make snow walkable again / Nov 10, 2016 / Snow is walkable again, instead pine trees will be more taller later
  • Make nyancat and rainbow light sources / Nov 10, 2016 / Nyancat glows!
  • Add tool breaking sounds / Nov 18, 2016 / You can hear new tool breaking sounds
  • Add 'group:cools_lava' for lavacooling by snowblock and ice / Nov 18, 2016 / Snowblock and ice cools lava to stone
  • Use player yaw on place, align player yaw with boat on enter / Nov 20, 2016 / Long awaited fix for boats
  • Merge boost_cart as "carts" mod / Nov 21, 2016 / Historic day for minetest - we have carts, power and brake rails, you can punch cart when riding it to move forward and change your direction with A,D keys, or slow down with S. Use power rails to achieve maximum speed.
  • Add water footstep sounds / Nov 21, 2016 / C.O.
Last edited by Fixerol on Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:01, edited 4 times in total.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Mon Nov 21, 2016 17:59

As of today minetest_game has CARTS based on boost_cart mod, server admins should be extra cautious (make map backups, do extra testing), it should be more or less compatible with existing rails and cart mods.

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Mon Nov 21, 2016 19:30

It's good that boost_cart has been added! :D
Can players still use fly and fast move in singleplayer+creative?
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 22:51

Can players still use fly and fast move in singleplayer+creative?

Of course! Just write “/grantme all” in chat to get all privileges (including fast and fly).
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 23:46

Note that an altered biome system compatible with mgv7 floatlands has not yet been added, so biomes will be a little messy in the floatlands, with underwater grass and trees etc.
For a few months you will get best results by clearing the biome registrations and defining a custom biome system that is compatible with the floatland level of lakes.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Mon Nov 28, 2016 21:43

* minetest.create_detached_inventory updates

There were changes to minetest.create_detached_inventory function, due to bug https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4403, there were fixes merged: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/4812 and https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/1413.

Basically on player join all other players detached inventories were send to player causing him to have severe 0 0 0 bug for several minutes (up to 15) on some servers. This was fixed, but some mod makers should check their mods for use of this function to send only his player inventory to him if needed to really make this bug go away on servers.

Also quoting sfan5 about minetest.create_detached_inventory(player:get_player_name():
everything with :get_player_name() definitely need a fix

New function info:
* `minetest.create_detached_inventory(name, callbacks, [player_name])`: returns an `InvRef`
* callbacks: See "Detached inventory callbacks"
* player_name: Make detached inventory available to one player exclusively,
by default they will be sent to every player (even if not used).
Note that this parameter is mostly just a workaround and will be removed in future releases.
* Creates a detached inventory. If it already exists, it is cleared.

I hope I described it right. Some mods like unified inventory and armor are already updated. If not sure ask developers.

Worldblender

In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Sun Dec 04, 2016 21:46

Man, I'm seeing so many of these changes going recently, that I think that the next version should be 0.5, for that there are biome changes and some mod additions. Or are there other outstanding issues that would result in only another 0.4.* point release instead? Anyways, I really like the new stuff coming in. :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 22:24

Worldblender: Currently, the distinction between the 2nd and 3rd version number is pretty arbitrary and not formally defined, so it doesn't really matter which number will be increased. As long the next version is not 0.343.4335ef04feffac.WTFOMGBBQ-dev, I'm probably fine with it. ;-) Users should generally not dictate version numbers.

Although I would love it when Minetest devs finally adopt SemVer (and stick to it).

Worldblender

In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Mon Dec 05, 2016 01:49

Wuzzy wrote:Although I would love it when Minetest devs finally adopt SemVer (and stick to it).

I wonder what you mean by "SemVer". For the rest of what you said, I'll take any version increase, now that it does not matter what number is being increased.

Wuzzy

Feature Freeze!

by Wuzzy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 18:35

The Feature Freeze is now official!

This means that (hopefully) no new features will be added to Minetest Game or Minetest until the next release.
I think this might be a good time for beta testers to start testing.

Report any Minetest bugs here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues
And any Minetest Game bugs go here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues

(But please be so nice and first seach if not someone else posted the bug earlier)

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Tue Dec 13, 2016 19:48

• Fix superflous shader setting updates / Nov 22, 2016 / Important fix, improves FPS by about 40% (when shaders are enabled, as in default for PC)
  • Various fixes to mod security / Nov 24, 2016 / There are still some things to fix in mod security.
  • Allow overriding the hand / Nov 26, 2016 / Now you can override your hand via mod with something else
  • Limit light_source in the engine / Nov 28, 2016 / This commit limits nodes' light_source to 14 due to crashes
  • Optimize/adjust blocks/ActiveObjects sent at the server based on client settings / Nov 30, 2016 / Servers will greatly benefit from this in terms of bandwidth and load, basically, players with smaller v_ranges (for example slow PC, phone or tablet) will request only mapblocks they see.
  • Liquids finally alive and flow! / Dec 7, 2016 / Long awaited and important fix. Yes, no more stuck liquids! Waited for this for years...
  • Simple deco: Allow setting param2 value on placement / Dec 7, 2016 / This adds a `param2` field to the simple deco type that is checked to be between 0 and 255, and put to the placed node at mapgen.
  • Various view range fixes / Dec 7, 2016
  • Make mgv7 the default mapgen / Dec 12, 2016 / Mgv7 is now default mapgen for new worlds
  • Fix camera jumping on Android when panning past 0/360 mark / Dec 12, 2016
  • Fix segfault on startup error on Android / Dec 12, 2016
  • Mgv7: Change default cave width to 0.09 / Dec 13, 2016 / After some complaints caves were made slightly bigger.

• Merge 'torches' mod as default:torch / Nov 24, 2016 / 3D torches are finally here! No more ugliness.
  • Keys: Allow easy sharing of access without commands / Nov 25, 2016 / Currently supported lockable items are the Steel Door, the Steel Trapdoor, and the Locked Chest. You can make a key to your door/chest/etc and give it to someone else. Warning: keys are not labelled at the moment $)
  • Add sfinv to allow tabs to be added to the inventory / Nov 27, 2016 / Mod makers can add tabs to inventory for easier access.
  • Various cart fixes / Nov 27, 2016
  • Avoid "leaking" creative inventories to other players / Nov 28, 2016 / Important fix, some servers experienced spawning at 0 0 0 and very long wait times before teleport to actual position and playability. Fixed, most major mods also fixed this.
  • Add Cobble Walls to Moss Growth ABM / Dec 1, 2016 / You can now generate mossy cobble walls with water
  • New biomes. Limit dirt blobs. Add corals, bushes / Dec 3, 2016 / Very important. Added 'sandstone desert', 'cold desert', 'snowy grassland', some renamed, some removed, bushes and corals introduced into the world and other changes
  • Rewrite fire sound code / Dec 7, 2016 / Old buggy code was rewritten with pretty simple code that supports fire for now
  • Make furnaces work when unloaded / Dec 7, 2016 / Makes the furnace work as if it was loaded all the time even when no one is around.

P.S. I recommend server owners that are using latest minetest engine and game to update to as newest version as possible to test it before release so developers will not miss anything critical. There are some more fixes along the road.

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Tue Dec 13, 2016 21:31

Add Cobble Walls to Moss Growth ABM / Dec 1, 2016 / You can now generate mossy cobble walls with water

I hope in the next version of MT there will be a more straightforward way to disable the dirt -> dirt_with_grass and cobble -> mossycobble conversion on a world-by-world basis, possibly via a setting in minetest.conf for backwards compatibility. Right now it seems the only way to do this is by hard-coding the changes in default/functions.lua, which is a far from ideal solution.

These ABMs in particular grief maps that were created in certain older versions of Minetest where such behavior didn't exist by default.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Sun Dec 25, 2016 13:23

• Wider tunnels in mgflat, mgfractal, mgvalleys / Dec 14, 2016 / self-explanatory
  • Make mgv7 the default in UI / Dec 16, 2016 / Mgv7 is now default mapgen for new worlds, featuring updated biomes
  • Fix unnecessary block loading and duplicating objects / Dec 18, 2016 / Makes the game load blocks only if they are not in the memory. Fixes infamous item duplication bug.
  • Mod security fixes / Dec 20, 2016 / More fixes of mod security
  • Disable mod security by default / Dec 21, 2016 / Mod security was delayed and is disabled by default in 0.4.15 stable
  • Avoid crash when object pos over limit / Dec 21, 2016 / Game should no longer crash when objects cross map limit.

• Carts: Stronger handbrake / Dec 7, 2016 / Faster breaking
  • Furnace exploit fixes / Dec 17, 2016 / Important furnace bugs were fixed introduced by new changes.
  • Avoid crash if boat pos over limit / Dec 21, 2016 / Game should no longer crash when boat cross map limit.

Fixerol

Re: Minetest latest experimental features

by Fixerol » Mon Dec 26, 2016 21:28

Minetest 0.4.15 was just released. Following this post there will be posts about interesting developments in 0.4.15-dev

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Fri Jan 13, 2017 21:15

still...nothing...
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Sat Jan 14, 2017 00:07

Anyone can comment here about useful developments, there are already nice changes in, big visual change is new light curve, that means minetest light sources are much more brighter and you don't need tons of torches just to light your house.

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:40

There is now a search bar in the serverlist :D
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 08:22

A search bar was also added to the advance settings tab.

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Mon Feb 13, 2017 17:05

A "WiFi"/"Signal" icon was added to the serverlist to indicate signal strength of the server.
The 'Mods' tab doesn't show modpack content anymore, but instead a + next to them that shows content when clicked.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:15

I really need to give some updates, there are some very exciting changes in 0.4.15-dev and more on the way...

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Mar 07, 2017 05:12

Finally got my daily build to update correctly.
New Stuff:
-Mese post lamps (for growing things I think?)
-Rainforest litter
-New sandstone nodes (for silver and desert sand)
-Added owner's name and what item linked to key description

This is just a quick list.

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 08:10

I strongly oppose the /zoom privilege.

burli

by burli » Tue Mar 07, 2017 08:16

GreenDimond wrote:This is just a quick list.

You forgot the new leaf decay

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Mar 07, 2017 16:09

burli wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:This is just a quick list.

You forgot the new leaf decay

Late at night. Had little time. I wrote what I remembered :P

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 08:15

desert sand and silver sand now have their own versions of sandstone -blocks and -bricks

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:51

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT the official changelog, nor is it EVER intended to replace the official changelog.

Minetest

ItemStackMetaRef, a different way to store item metadata.

Items can now change their description at run-time dynamically based on metadata.

Default climbing speed increased from 2 to 3 nodes per second. Affects Minetest Game.

minetest.spawn_falling_node (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 3a91211490)

FormSpec: Add position and anchor elements https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 43aa2a68c6

Fix >5 year old PlayerSAO deletion bug o_O https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... e57eed4698

Nice-looking loading bar.

Server list can be searched.

Advanced settings can be searched.

Mod configuration list looks nicer

The minimap got optimized (whatever that means).

Something about dungeons and dungeon stairs has been done.

Minetest Game

- Description / tooltip of keys shows the owner name
- Torch light level reduced from 13 to 12 :-(
- New sound for leaf digging
- Papyri and cacti now require light to grow :-( Maybe because of the new Mese Post Light?

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but many crafting recipes got changed:

- Many dye recipes were removed, dye crafting is very different (https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... f3387e7e9b)
- TNT
- Gun Powder
- Mese Lamp
- Wooden Ladder

http://wiki.minetest.net/TNT
http://wiki.minetest.net/Mese_Lamp
http://wiki.minetest.net/Gun_Powder
http://wiki.minetest.net/Wooden_Ladder

I know the new sandstones were mentioned before, but here's a screenshot (it's already outdated):

New floor block for rainforests: “Dirt with Rainforest Litter”.

Oh, and by the way: I have heard Client-Sided Modding was added to Minetest. I have no idea what this means, however. Or why anyone might need it.

ABJ

by ABJ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:05

The ability to have client-chosen skins, please?

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Wed Mar 15, 2017 20:44

This time I decided to make it very short and post stuff that caught my eye as a simple player for time period 22DEC2016/0.4.15-15MAR2017. Minetest 0.4.16 will be exciting, and here is why:

Engine::
Graphics:
* Add smooth lighting for all nodes (BEHOLD! Yes it does, everything (stairs/slabs/water/signs/moreblocks/etc) look so awesomely smoothed now, waited for this since 2011)
* Update lighting at block loading (map protocol bump, if you have some important maps, make a backup before transition)
* New bulk node lighting code (those two fix a lot of annoying lighting bugs and moretrees are working out of the box)
* Redo lighting curve (shadows and lighting were overhauled, light sources produce much more visible light)
* Make object mesh face shading consistent (fancy now)
* Add hardware node colouring (very useful change, already used by modders to colour the nodes and save the RAM, no need to define trillion coloured nodes iirc)

Anticheat:
* Various anti-cheat improvements (interact distance, taking bones after death, dropping stuff after death, server-side breath etc)

Fixes:
* Fix >5 year old PlayerSAO deletion bug (yes, finally it is gone, you can join Vanessa's and Co servers without server kicking you out, I checked)
* Do not force deletion of players when mapblock is full
* Fix visual_scale being applied squared for plantlike (no idea what it is, but someone will be interested)
* Block spam messages before calling on_chatmessage callbacks (no more spam on IRC mod I believe)
* Map generation limit related crash-fixes (yes, 2011-2017 crashes at world limit, I remember YOU)

Other:
* Client Side Modding (hard to believe but it is merged, now under heavy improvement)
* Add particle animation, glow (useful for modders)
* Add ping indicators in serverlist (self-explanatory, more green lines the better)
* Allow texture packs to customize the progress bar
* Allow server side occlusion culling (before sending a mapblock to you, server will check if it is visible or not, should help save some bandwidth)
* Minimap cpu usage optimisation (had no fps improvement for me, but cpu usage should go down).
* Guest#### is not autogenerated anymore, use proper name at login (yep, no more thousands of guests on servers, use proper name, it is 2017)
* Support password authentication (for redis database)
* Save metainfo for falling nodes
* Climbing speed increased from 2 to 3 (try ladders)
* Lots of other fixes and improvements

Game::
* More generous meselamp recipe (light all the things!)
* Ladder recipe: Make wooden ladder recipe more generous (climb all the things!)
* Decrease the cost of gunpowder for trails and change TNT recipe (gunpowder trails are much more cheaper now)
* Torches: Reduce light source level from 13 to 12 (this change was needed because of lighting redo in engine, torch was too bright, it is brighter than in 0.4.15).
* Add nodebox mese post light usable as a growlamp (meselamp that looks like a torch)
* Add desert/silver sandstone-related blocks (desert sand and silver sand have new blocks! and they look good)
* Add silver sand blob ore, relocate other blob ores (more silver sand in the world)
* New jungle dirt in jungles
* Papyrus, cactus: Require light level 13 for growth (haters gonna hate)
* Leafdecay: Node timer based implementation, API (node-timer based leafdecay mechanism)
* Leafdecay: Register leafdecay for bush leaves
* Keys and books have tooltips with descriptions
* Tree schematics: Alter jungletree, aspen, pine, appletree (changes trees look a bit)
* Flint & steel sounds: Fix bugs caused by nil position (entire server heared some flint and steel users)
* Screwdriver improvements
* TNT fires are properly removed now (before they spawned forever)
* Add /killme chat command
* Add support for custom bed sounds
* Add creative.is_enabled_for
* Sfinv improvements
* Other fixes and improvements

I've listed only some changes and omitted some I don't fully understand/etc, you can view all changes on minetest/minetest_game github pages.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Features