World-Wrapping

SegFault22

World-Wrapping

by SegFault22 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 01:45

Many games including some of the earlier Final Fantasy games implement a world where every edge is connected seamlessly to the opposite edge, so you can go to the other side of the world by traveling in a straight line past an edge. I was thinking about that and I figured that it would be nice if a similar feature could be implemented in Minetest, where the edges of the world always connect seamlessly to the opposite edge.

The chunks at the opposite edge would load as the next chunks at each client, and the coordinates would "wrap" as well. Also, node neighbors would have to wrap - so if a node is placed at an edge or corner, its neighbors past the edge(s) would be the nodes at the opposite edge(s), which allows mesecons to work across the "seam". It may be difficult to make the map generation noise wrap over and connect seamlessly, but surely there is some way to do this, as the boundaries between chunks are connected seamlessly in a similar fashion.

I think it would be best for the limit size to be configurable, so that a server owner may adjust the size however is desired (rounded to number of chunks/blocks, of course)

Sure, you could write a simple mod to teleport the player to the other side of the world when they go past a certain distance - but that leaves much to be desired, such as being able to see what is at the other side, seamless terrain generation across the boundary, mesecons working across the boundary, building a house across the boundary, and so on.

Is this feasible?

stu

GitHub: stujones11

Re: World-Wrapping

by stu » Sat Nov 05, 2016 17:06

Did you see this topic: Minetest on a spherical planet
Maybe not quite what you are asking for but it might give you some idea of what is possible.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 07:06

This has been discussed a lot and comes up regularly, see https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9183 that may discuss wrapping later in the thread.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 05:09

Nevermind the flat wrapped world idea, spheretest is much better and accomplishes this perfectly. If I set the radius to a large enough value, it will be too difficult to see the spherical distortion, right?

Return to Minetest Features