Alternatives to sneak elevators

FaceDeer

Re: Alternatives to sneak elevators

by FaceDeer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 20:04

There's a nice little mod, mymasonhammer, that lets you hammer footholds directly into stone walls. I can see that being a useful substitute, perhaps with a little tweaking (I'm thinking of making a version that applies "signlike" footholds onto a stone surface as a sort of auto-generated ladder rather than turning the stone node itself into a ladder, I think that'll be more versatile).

I'll also take a look at implementing grappling hooks into my ropes mod.

Shara

GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Thu Mar 23, 2017 02:33

It's not really a replacement for sneak ladders, but maybe someone looking for an alternative finds it useful:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17069

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 06:36

maikerumine wrote:Now how ge gonna get out of our 3000+ meter mine like we do?

Travelnet teleporters?

Beerholder

In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 18:31

Linuxdirk wrote:
maikerumine wrote:Now how ge gonna get out of our 3000+ meter mine like we do?

Travelnet teleporters?

If they are installed on the server .. -_- Also, I think at least 843jdc was concerned about lag on his server so players cannot craft travelnet nodes there. But didn't find anything re. lag issues in the travelnet forum post

Should be possible though to create a nice alternative like fast ladders, an anti-gravity tube or maybe even a mod that emulates the original sneak ladder behavior...? XD

shacknetisp

GitHub: shacknetisp
IRC: behalebabo
In-game: beha

by shacknetisp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 21:33

Beerholder wrote:If they are installed on the server .. -_- Also, I think at least 843jdc was concerned about lag on his server so players cannot craft travelnet nodes there. But didn't find anything re. lag issues in the travelnet forum post

Travelnets shouldn't be that laggy, they do load several new blocks quickly, but it's only once and no more than /home or any other kind of teleportation. Longer travel would be worse overall, since vastly more blocks are loaded along the course of the trip depending on how long it is.
Beerholder wrote:Should be possible though to create a nice alternative like fast ladders, an anti-gravity tube or maybe even a mod that emulates the original sneak ladder behavior...? XD

Yeah, there have been some mods and new ones are being created. I've done elevators for example, to replace long sneak shafts; and Shara's made tool-based handholds that work conveniently over shorter distances.

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 21:51

To all the people complaining about sneak elevators being removed: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5443

Beerholder

In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 23:08

red-001 wrote:To all the people complaining about sneak elevators being removed: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5443

Lol XD and I *just* started working on a Lua implementation of the sneak ladder O_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhoLzu_Cm8s
https://github.com/evrooije/sneaky

Oh well ... :-)

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 06:59

Beerholder wrote:Should be possible though to create a nice alternative like fast ladders, [...]

As long as climb speed is a global hardcoded value it is unnecessary complicated to create nodes you can "climb" faster. Climb speed has to be made a node-individual configurable value with a configurable default value.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 14:36

Beerholder wrote:Lol XD and I *just* started working on a Lua implementation of the sneak ladder O_o

Might not be wasted work, maybe it can be generalized into a more versatile "climbing stuff" mod that goes beyond merely replicating sneak elevators?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 23:07

That PR will not replicate simple sneak ladder though (a single column of alternating nodes) so mod replacements are still worth working on.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 23:16

I would prefer to just have two node jumping whilest on solid ground.

Sergey

by Sergey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 01:37

benrob0329 wrote:I would prefer to just have two node jumping whilest on solid ground.

By the way, it is good decision — compromise between those who like this bug as feature and those who think that bugs must be fixed no matter how they are convenient.

First fix all bugs related to sneak button (elevator, falling on the edge of the node, so on).
Then just make simple change — [Shift] + jump = two node high jump. That's it.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 08:21

Sergey wrote:
benrob0329 wrote:I would prefer to just have two node jumping whilest on solid ground.

By the way, it is good decision — compromise between those who like this bug as feature and those who think that bugs must be fixed no matter how they are convenient.

First fix all bugs related to sneak button (elevator, falling on the edge of the node, so on).
Then just make simple change — [Shift] + jump = two node high jump. That's it.

I'd love to see people get more creative with elevators, and such a change would in fact promt that without reducing mobility.

Previous

Return to Minetest Features