select grass sides in advanced game menu?

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

select grass sides in advanced game menu?

by TumeniNodes » Wed Mar 08, 2017 20:39

Would it be possible to add the ability to select which type of grass_side the user wants in settings, per game?

Meaning... for minetest_game, there could be an option to choose full or 3/4 grass sides.
I think this would be a nice option, and TP creators could include both styles.

Although, it might (most likely, actually) require adding a new node for each. Something like default_grass_side_alt

3/4 side could be the default, and full side could be the "alt"

(the same would need to be added for snow_side, and any new similar terrain nodes such as the forests and jungle ground textures) <--- just realised that as I'm typing... duh :P

I realise the work involved but, I also realise not all end users know how to go into the TP folder to rename the textures, depending on which style they prefer. And tbh, they should not have to.

Even such a seemingly insignificant feature, are the sort of things that appeal to end users.
Flick?... Flick who?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: select grass sides in advanced game menu?

by Wuzzy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 23:58

This sounds pretty overengineered to me and also VERY specialized. But well, if some people like it, whatever. I wouldn't mind this feature because it is easy to ignore.
I think it may be possible at subgame level and probably is not even hard. Subgames can have their own configuration parameters, after all. But it has to be implemented for each subgame. It would not make sense to have a Minetest setting for this because not all subgames have grass textures like in Minetest Game or even any grass at all.
The subgame mod would simply have to apply a texture offset and some other texture operations and that's it. This sounds pretty easy.
But I find it hard to believe you will find any subgame author who wants to implement this. This is the sort of thing to do when the game is WAY beyond 1.0 stage. I'm almost certain your suggested feature has no chance in Minetest Game.

But the problem with this configuration approach is that such a setting would be server-side, not client-side. So it would be of limited use.

Texture packs are currently the closest you can get to the thing you want. But this is admittedly just a hack and also tedious to use. You would have to use 1 texture pack per grass height, which is silly.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 00:28

Hmm, I had not thought about doing it as a config, per game.. That's a good idea.
My original thought for this, was doing it in the same way the wielded torch light can be turned on or off but, that is also a mod.. not a TP :P so it can't be handled in the same way

It was just a thought which came to mind when I was working on my TP.

I am providing both versions of default_grass_side / snow_side. And I started thinking of ways choosing your preferred look/option for that subject could be made easiest for end users.

I was thinking the option could be... "use default_sides", / "use alt_sides" -or- "use full sides", / "use 3/4 sides" for grass nodes

The provided textures, per TP (currently would be)
default_grass_side / default_grass_side_alt
default_dry_grass_side / default_dry_grass_side_alt
default_snow_side / default_snow_side_alt

Is it easy to go into the TP's folder and rename whichever you like as "default_grass_side"? Yes, for some... but not as easy for others, (maybe even most end users)

I'm gonna have to look into the method you brought up, because I think that would be way better.... Actually the best method, would be if the TP itself were able to use a single code document which enabled this feature...
That way, it could be implemented and available if the TP's creator/designer wanted to offer the option, and it would be per texture pack

But, even that, I fear... leads to a need to make some changes somewhere, to enable TP's to even make such an option available?

Posting it, for me..., is not about trying to get it into MT_game, but rather to get other people's opinion/input on the idea, and maybe someone will comment who knows how it could be done...

But I do agree with you on your points... too over engineered. But, I would love to know if there is some way to make such an option avail from within a TP itself... that would be cool but, probably not reality.
Flick?... Flick who?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18

I like grassy sides. You can use a mod to override default:dirt_with_grass to alter the textures.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 15:35

paramat wrote:I like grassy sides. You can use a mod to override default:dirt_with_grass to alter the textures.

I do too. And I know about the override function, but that is not what I am getting at here.

My point is this. While some people like the full grassy sides, others like the 3/4 grassy sides (as currently in default)
If there were some means to place a lua script in the TP folder, which could call a function or two from within the default mod's, nodes.lua... it would be pretty cool

A simple if / then function added to the grass_/snow_sides node codes might do the trick?
I think the tricky part is putting a Lua script in a TP which could call that function from nodes.lua,

That script in the TP folder could call an option for the player, where they could select which style of sides they wish to use.

Think of the mods tab, for a moment. You can see all the mods and mod packs..., and then select which to enable and which to not.

This would function sort of the same.
Open the textures tab, there is a list of texture packs and,... if a TP has this feature, you can select which style of "sides" you like.
It could even be done by having the 3/4 grassy sides as default but, maybe an option which says "enable full grassy sides", then the "default_grass_side_alt" texture is used.

Something like that :P

A small feature like this, I think would actually be cool. And I honestly think it would be something many users would like to make it worth the effort (if I or anyone else can figure it out)

Of course this is all just a pipe dream in my foggy brain. But once a thought pops up in there, it keeps racing around until it either becomes a reality, or it gets squished :D
But I have a habbit of throwing ideas around, no matter how ridiculous...
Flick?... Flick who?

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 20:55

You can use texture overrides to control how you want the grass to look.

Example to see "full" grass side:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
default:dirt_with_grass sides default_grass.png
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 23:51

kaeza wrote:You can use texture overrides to control how you want the grass to look.

Example to see "full" grass side:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
default:dirt_with_grass sides default_grass.png

I really appreciate the fact that you guys are offering help. Thank you.

But... this is not me asking for help. I know about overrides, both node and texture.

I made a TP.
In this TP I provide both the full grass side and 3/4 grass side textures. Because I know anyone who uses it will have their own preference. And they can go into the folder and just rename them, so they can use the style they like.

This made me think about the real fact that, not "every" end user understands how to do this, or wants to do this, or will even know that both styles are available. Some will never even look inside the TP folder.

What we need to remember is this..., most users on this forum, are the type who have no issues doing this sort of thing... it comes naturally to them.
Some end users who have never even visited this forum, will be able to do it too but, .... there are many end users out there who have never even visited this forum, and/or who have zero interest in doing any tinkering... they just want to play MT, and when they DL a TP... they just expect it to work... that's it.

So, my idea... is to add some way (via the TP itself) to show that option to the end user, when they select that TP from the textures menu.
If they tic a box which might say "enable full grass sides", then a small Lua script within the TP folder, tells default nodes.lua which texture style they want for all nodes with ""_side.png

This would, unfortunately, entail adding a quick "if / then" Lua function to those types of nodes in their code.

so this would be done without using an override mod, per se... the override function would be... I guess built into nodes.lua, and the switch to turn it off or on, will be in the TP folder. It would be just adding a way for a texture pack to communicate with the default mod.

So, I'm not looking to override a node for a node, or a texture for a texture... I want to add an option, which could be toggled back and forth, at will, via a selection / enable box in the textures menu of minetest_game. or at least in my own subgame version.

but as I said... it will probably never go anywhere... just an idea that popped into my head... and which I might tinker with. But not sure if there is even a means to make it a reality.

edit:... orrrrr... if this function were actually just built into MT... any TP which has both styles for all grass_side, snow_side, etc., nodes would work without the need for a script "in" the TP's folder.
It would be just like selecting fancy leaves or simple leaves, .... basically.
Flick?... Flick who?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Mar 10, 2017 00:15

best explanation is to just "show" it : )

Attachments
grass sides options (copy).png
grass sides options (copy).png (121.92 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Flick?... Flick who?

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 04:30

More tastes ) Register node sets for all texture packs and directly quick change it in the game )
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 06:29

Nyarg wrote:More tastes ) Register node sets for all texture packs and directly quick change it in the game )

errm... no?
Flick?... Flick who?

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 06:45

TumeniNodes wrote:errm... no?

Why not ?
For example:
From in game (other words inLive) simple point on anything and from drop list of pictures or real smaller nodes simple select what we want to see in game (it must works in creative only of cource) . Script replace old nodes with new selected node in background.
Short time pass and player reconstruct visible part of game ) Epic ? Yes ! )

As I know node may be registered only on loadTime. After it no way to change texture (want apply ^[colorize: to existing node after loadTime but can't) or something else except "paramtype" etc.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Return to Minetest Features