Sneak ladders: What to do?

What to do with sneak ladders (sneak glitch)

I want sneak ladders and I accept damage evasion, noclip while sneaking and other bugs with it
10%
I do not want damage evasion, noclip while sneaking and other bugs caused by sneak ladders glitch, if sneak ladders break - I'm fine with it
40%
I do not want damage evasion, noclip while sneaking and other bugs caused by sneak ladders glitch, but I want to keep the sneak glitch (somehow)
50%
What are sneak ladders?
No votes

Total votes : 20

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Sneak ladders: What to do?

by Fixerol » Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:01

As you know, recently there was a controversy about fixes related to sneaking that fixed/mitigated significant damage evasion bugs that instantly changed game feel and made gameplay much more terrain dependant, this come with the cost of removing sneak ladders - not intentional "feature" used since ages in minetest like pictured here: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 4974c0.png
Some people are not good with that, discussion on github and list of bugs: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5327 and https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5443

I decided to do a vote about this, current situation is this, quoting sfan5:
SNEAK LADDERS RELY ON BUGS, IF YOU ADD SNEAK LADDERS YOU ADD BUGS

paramat

GitHub: paramat

Re: Sneak elevators: What to do?

by paramat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:22

Although not necessary for the poll, there are other options being investigated, such as replicating sneak-ladder and sneak-jump in the new sneak code (difficult but is being tried).
Also we could add a setting that switches between old code (with all the associated undesirable bugs) and new sneak code. This is crude and possibly a temporary thing to keep players happy while we work on the issues.

My preference doesn't occur in this poll (that's no problem and not a request for more options).

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: Sneak ladders: What to do?

by benrob0329 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:30

Ny vote: I don't want sneak ladders or bugs.

I want a reliable sneak, that allows me to hop up on two node surfaces and keeps me from falling off the edge.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Mar 29, 2017 14:23

sneak ladders are (for me) an essential part of the gameplay. it should just be less op and, like benrob says, the important of sneaking is the two node jump and fall preventing function.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 19:43

azekill_DIABLO wrote:sneak ladders are (for me) an essential part of the gameplay. it should just be less op and, like benrob says, the important of sneaking is the two node jump and fall preventing function.

"gameplay" XD
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 19:45

Why does everyone want this so desperately it's a glitch it's fixed now why does everyone want it back?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 01:38

toby109tt wrote:Why does everyone want this so desperately it's a glitch it's fixed now why does everyone want it back?

It's something that the community loves and has been living with this whole time.
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Minetest Features