Player model enhancement. [knees & elbows]

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu May 09, 2013 02:19

rarkenin wrote:The mesh is almost done, except the head and face which are a little buggy.

Rarkenin made the player model in the image above, but he is not active in this community anymore. In addition to the eyes, mouth, and second layer of Melkor's model, I believe that a good thing to do with the enhanced player model is to give it the proportions of Rarkenin's model in the image above. That way, it will look more unique and more human.

cypher-neo

by cypher-neo » Fri May 24, 2013 19:45

stu wrote:Just for fun, I have added bending knees and elbows to the default character model.

I couldn't get this work on my server.

Seriously though! Apply this idea to mobs and make mob models more 3D with moving parts. I hate it when something sneaks up on me because it was facing laterally to me (and thus an invisible line). Mobs need to be 3D, just like characters.

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Fri May 24, 2013 19:56

cypher-neo wrote:I couldn't get this work on my server.

Seriously though! Apply this idea to mobs and make mob models more 3D with moving parts. I hate it when something sneaks up on me because it was facing laterally to me (and thus an invisible line). Mobs need to be 3D, just like characters.

What version of minetest are you using? You will need at leat a version wih 3d player model support, 0.4.3+ irrc.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Fri May 24, 2013 22:33

cypher-neo wrote:
stu wrote:Just for fun, I have added bending knees and elbows to the default character model.

I couldn't get this work on my server.

Mobs have nothing to do with this project (better player models). If you have any complaints about the mob models:
1) update your game
2) update your mods
3a) if it still persists, post in the relevant mod topic
3b) make the models yourself
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat May 25, 2013 01:34

Ok, I discovered that modifying the default mods on my server has no effect, even deleting them does nothing. Is there any way to get this to work as a mod, not a replacement for the default?
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Don't ever save anything as a JPEG.

stu

by stu » Sat May 25, 2013 01:58

There is a mod somewhere, look for player_models, that model is included.

If you still see the old model after replacing it then it has either been misplaced or overridden by a mod.

This is not a mod btw, more a feature suggestion. There are still some issues regarding the 'joint' texturing w/o breaking compatibility with mc skins.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat May 25, 2013 04:02

Inocudom wrote:
rarkenin wrote:The mesh is almost done, except the head and face which are a little buggy.

Rarkenin made the player model in the image above, but he is not active in this community anymore. In addition to the eyes, mouth, and second layer of Melkor's model, I believe that a good thing to do with the enhanced player model is to give it the proportions of Rarkenin's model in the image above. That way, it will look more unique and more human.

Have you considered body proportions like the ones in the image above?

cypher-neo

by cypher-neo » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13

kaeza wrote:Mobs have nothing to do with this project (better player models). If you have any complaints about the mob models:
1) update your game
2) update your mods
3a) if it still persists, post in the relevant mod topic
3b) make the models yourself

1) Already using 0.4.6
2) Only mob mods I'm using is PilzAdam's Simple Mobs and Zmobs.
3) I'll do it...
4) because I have no idea how to begin doing this.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Jun 13, 2013 19:03

What's saddening is that I don't have a copy of the original .blend.

EDIT: VanessaE had a copy: http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/minetest/stu-model.zip

EDIT2: Nope.avi, thats the old player model.

EDIT3: Vanessa just found the correct model. WOO!
Last edited by Jordach on Thu Jun 13, 2013 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

stu

by stu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 19:54

I did make a slight change to the dig animation after that version.

I think this is the last one I uploaded: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs5jxvqgot3giq5/flex_model.zip

Sorry, I didn't realize the .blend file was missing from the archive

Edit: Updated link in top post.
Last edited by stu on Thu Jun 13, 2013 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Jun 13, 2013 21:16

What's the change that you made, in particular?
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

stu

by stu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 21:25

It is only very slight, the arm bends and straightens the same way it does in the walk/dig animation. It's barely noticeable in game.

sdzen

by sdzen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 23:42

http://www.mediafire.com/?3cum16d295jofbj for those of you who don't like the 50%
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

hampa16

by hampa16 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 03:45

where's the "common" folder?
Rex 2 Double 9
=RomanFox2=
SoulKiller35

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Tue Jul 02, 2013 04:12

Common doesn't exist anymore - it's been combined with "build" and "survival" and merged back into minetest_game.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 16:45

Inocudom wrote:
Jordach wrote:
Inocudom wrote:I have an idea. I think it would be nice if the whole body had a layer similar to the hat layer for beards and clothing.
Hm, yeah, and easy to do in blender. But it then breaks compatibility with out MC skins.

Although, it as stu has said: multiple material lists would help, as clothes could be a second layer, waiting to be used and assigned by the engine.

Minecraft skins could use the system that is in place now as far as clothing goes and new skins could use an above layer for clothing (and old skins could be made to use the above layer as well.)

The quote above is from the Sam II topic in the General Discussion section. Is the idea above possible to achieve without breaking compatibility with Minecraft skins?
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Jul 02, 2013 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

stu

by stu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 19:00

Inocudom wrote:
Inocudom wrote:
Jordach wrote:Hm, yeah, and easy to do in blender. But it then breaks compatibility with out MC skins.

Although, it as stu has said: multiple material lists would help, as clothes could be a second layer, waiting to be used and assigned by the engine.

Minecraft skins could use the system that is in place now as far as clothing goes and new skins could use an above layer for clothing (and old skins could be made to use the above layer as well.)

The quote above is from the Sam II topic in the General Discussion section. Is the idea above possible to achieve without breaking compatibility with Minecraft skins?

Not without multiple texture/material update support, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/767

This model has now been updated. I have fixed the 'joint' texturing issues that affected some character skins. Download link in first post.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 20:14

stu wrote:
Inocudom wrote:
Inocudom wrote:

Not without multiple texture/material update support, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/767

This model has now been updated. I have fixed the 'joint' texturing issues that affected some character skins. Download link in first post.

I wish you the best of luck with that pull request. I really do mean that.

stu

by stu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 19:48

Now includes a replacement model for my wield3d mod.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 19:56

stu wrote:Now includes a replacement model for my wield3d mod.

The wield3d mod, I feel, should be added to the base game as well.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 13:43

A good idea but would affect gameplay and framerates... Stick to a simple avatar for now with a view to future optimizations...

stu

by stu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 21:38

TenPlus1 wrote:A good idea but would affect gameplay and framerates... Stick to a simple avatar for now with a view to future optimizations...

Admittedly the 150Kb excess bloat of the model may add a millisecond or so to your server connection time. As for framerate, these models are so low poly the difference would not even effect the framerate on a 386.

davidthecreator

In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

Re: Player model enhancement. [knees & elbows]

by davidthecreator » Sat Jan 02, 2016 21:54

it would be nice if it supported your 3d armors mod...

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 15:13

Very nice model stu! It really improves the looks of the player. Would be nice if we could make it so the head swiveled on the body.
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

stu

by stu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 19:31

Kpenguin wrote:Very nice model stu! It really improves the looks of the player. Would be nice if we could make it so the head swiveled on the body.

Thank you, however this post is rather old, I dunno if I even still have the original .blend for this. Maybe I can dig it out and convert it to .b3d though I'm not sure about swivelling heads or armor support, I'm not even sure the former is possible yet without ugly, lag inducing hacks.

BobbyBonsaimind

GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

by BobbyBonsaimind » Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:12

@stu I have a copy (with changes to the animations and cleaned of duplicate vertexes) in my player-model mod.

And there is Rius mod which has such functionality, the head moving I mean.

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:09

stu wrote:
Kpenguin wrote:Very nice model stu! It really improves the looks of the player. Would be nice if we could make it so the head swiveled on the body.

Thank you, however this post is rather old, I dunno if I even still have the original .blend for this. Maybe I can dig it out and convert it to .b3d though I'm not sure about swivelling heads or armor support, I'm not even sure the former is possible yet without ugly, lag inducing hacks.

The swivelling head has been made before in a "hacky" way. IIRC, it was called the "playeranim" mod. But this goes up and down only, but it's still a start.
I do not care.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:53

wilkgr76 wrote:
stu wrote:

The swivelling head has been made before in a "hacky" way. IIRC, it was called the "playeranim" mod. But this goes up and down only, but it's still a start.

sofar has made it go side to side now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blrurijucN4
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

stu

by stu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 19:33

I have made some minor improvements to the original model and a new b3d version is now available here: minetest-models

There are a few more to be added, soon (TM)

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 21:14

stu wrote:I have made some minor improvements to the original model and a new b3d version is now available here: minetest-models

There are a few more to be added, soon (TM)

Awesome!
I do not care.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Features