[Game] Magichet: "The 1.2 'Non-Commercial' Release"

4aiman

Re: Magichet: "The 1.2 'Non-Commercial' Release"

by 4aiman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 19:42

Ok, I got your point.

Generally, if someone does some work - it's normal to be paid.
That does not mean one doesn't have to ask (which you did - Thank you!), but still.

I look at this like so: someone need to maintain the server and pay for it. ;)
So, I'm okay with donations made to your server.
I'm also okay with any "letsplays" and/or "letsplayers".
Moreover, if you're going to fix at least something - I'm even more "ok" than before.

A long list of thoughts which well may occur unreadable O_o
+ Spoiler

TL;DR:
I'd like to be:
- aware of the bugs you've found
- independent in my development of Magichet
- having fun ^_^

I'm ok with:
- your organization receiving donations
- your organization being an organization with employees/employers
- you making letsplays and monetizing those
- you making a pay-to-play servers
- you having fun ^_^

You are to:
- release your fixes to magichet subgame under WTFPL
- properly credit me with a link to this very thread
- have fun ^_^

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Aug 22, 2015 18:54

Indeed, the work is huge...

I agreed with all of your points, we think in the same way :)

Im adding you right now to our organisation. Welcome ! :p

Please, come to our dev IRC on irc.inchra.net@#minetestforfun-dev we will talk more about our mutual collaboration/projects :)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 13:31

I know it's been a while since the last tech-news on MGC updates but there are reasons for the delay.

However, the development itself didn't stop.

Keep an eye on the moon: Moon phases
^ Apparently I've messed up the texture name and the voice acting T_T
XDD

4aiman

by 4aiman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 01:18

Mg got wrong ppl on his team, so no forkers anymore.
Yay!!! :)

Meanwhile, Magichet got:
+ basic summon mechanics & GUI
+ one more enchantment
+ global save file
+ month/year cycle
+ animated main menu
+ a nicer way of drawing the unknown node
+ basic "night" theme (as in "music")

It also re-gained villages! :)

There's more changes connected with "globalization" of settings.

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 21:13

Do you have comparison table for magiched over minetest ?
I really wonder what do you provide in your client version

I get error so i cant start game.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Error code
0xc000007b
My Mods:

Beverage

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 08:23

mahmutelmas06 wrote:Do you have comparison table for magichet over minetest ?

The changes of the engine is described in this very topic and while there are few of them I really need those.
There's also a git repo with "stable" version and one can see the changes there.

If you're interested whether MGC will run inside MT, then I can assure you it will.
But you won't be able to enjoy some features.

As for the subgame..
No, I don't, but I can describe it briefly here.
Note, that I'm not monitoring the minetest_game daily.
Also note, that I won't go in any technical details - only what user will see.

MGC is an overhaul type of a game. It has many features out-of-the-box as opposed to "go-and-search-for-where-to-get-a-mod-you'd-like-to" minetest_game style of adding features.
So, in addition to what MT has,
+ MGC has 3d armour with 27 sets of armour available. Some of the sets give one set bonuses like immunity to hot blocks.
+ MGC uses heretic texturepack which is a not-blurry-faithful-type-of-a-texturepack TP for MT. I haven't re-done all textures, but I did over 1200. Over 400 textures were drawn from scratch.
+ MGC hunger mechanics is a 95% precise copy of the Minecraft's hunger mechanics (according to the official MC wiki)
+ MGC provides MC-like HUDs: armour, health, air, hunger, XP bar, wieldlist (9 items), itemname
+ MGC provides a set of MC-like achievements - both in "what" and "how-does-those-look-like" terms
+ MGC stairs behave exactly as in MC (see previous posts - there were screenies)
+ MGC tools are minetest_game_tools + moreores tools (and some more are yet to come). But the most exiting thing is the fact that digging times are being automatically calculated to be exact like those in MC. Moreover, tools get worn even if usage was "wrong" (e.g. attacking, digging dirt with pick, mining with axe, etc).
+ MGC has it's own mob API. it's got its problems but it is much more like MC and features: breeding, swimming, flying, wear-able armour (the same ones a player can wear), wield-able tools (the same ones a player can wield), attacking with exploding projectiles, pathfinding the target (what is to be pursuit) or aggressor (what should be avoided), being able to kill each other, being able to use different attack patterns in different circumstances and much more
+ MGC has beds improved to be "private" and something else I don't remember :)
+ MGC comes with 2 languages by default: RUS and ENG.
+ MGC has a unique set biome defs derived from Ethereal's one.
+ MGC has enchantment table which works just like that in MC 1.7 or earlier
+ MGC worlds are divided into layers. Going deeper requires to fulfil some conditions.
+ MGC's farming has MC crops (potato, carrot, wheat, pumpkins, melons etc) which look like the ones in MC and can be fertilized (as well as trees)
+ MGC has in-game book of basic "rules". I'm working on it's expansion
+ MGC features the afterlife: ectoplasm, ghostly_blocks, furnace poltergeists, reincarnators etc. The more is to come.
+ MGC features Industrial Craft clone (Voltbuild) with additional features, a Jetpack and CO2 sources
+ MGC features Nether (although lava is the only challenge there ATM)
+ MGC has abandoned mineshafts with treasure chests (and is waiting for villages to be returned)
+ MGC has a craft guide
+ MGC has a replica of redstone. No, not mesecons, but greenstone (also referred to as gStone).
+ MGC has a specialties code in-build which will provide a non-enchanting way to upgrade one's tools.
- There's no bones and no screwdriver in MGC.

MGC contains a lot more features (there was a list of what has been added during June-July cycle: viewtopic.php?p=184075#p184075) but a longer explanation is needed to cover those.

MGC is the nearest to the Minecraft subgame there is (in terms of mechanics). But I don't want to create a clone. I'm expanding MC as I'm expanding MT.

mahmutelmas06 wrote:I get error so i cant start game.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Error code
0xc000007b

It looks like it's a BSOD.
This error has nothing to do with magichet. The thing is it's your HDD which is to blame.
If it's not too old, you can try running chkdsk on the partition (drive) you've placed magichet.
In case it's C:\ the command should look like
chkdsk C: /x /f /r
It will ask you whether you want the file system to be checked upon next boot.
Answer with "Yes" (or "Y"? I don't really remember) and reboot.
While booting, do *not* press any keys and let chkdsk to check your HDD and fix what it can.

If you have a rather old Samsung HDD the issue may be "hidden" in your power supply unit. Either due to the fact it needs to be fixed or due to the voltage in electric(al) socket (IDK how it's called, hope you got it) being too low.

Also I'd recommend using Victoria CD of MHDD to check your HDD for the BADs and try to relocate damaged blocks.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:54

The license of this subgame is astoninglishly restrictive.
Please consider to change it, to give the community more “breathing room”. ;-)

Here are some points of the subgame license I see as problematic:

- You do not use this subgame or any of it's parts (original and/or modified) to gain any kind of profit.

Say good-bye to YouTube Let's plays of any of the “bigger” Let's players (who use ads in their videos).
Also, you exclude it from posting it to any website with any form of ad, no matter how small. So even private pages would be affected. Anything can count as “commercial” as soon as one cent is paid. More about this later.

- You do not use this subgame as an employee/member of any organization - commercial or not.

This is a pretty astounding restriction. Any organization? There are many organizations around the globe, big and small, and you just exclude all of them. It is also not clear when a person counts “as” a member of an organzation.
This also means that, for examples, members of the press are forbidden to use it (i.e. in order to write about it). I hope you can guess by now that a bunch of other practical problems would arise from this restriction.

- Anyone who would like to commercially use this subgame or it's parts is free to ask 4aiman to grant him/her some additional freedoms for the currently available released version of the subgame (i.e. permission doesn't cover any of the future releases/updates). The permission will be yours with probability of 90%.

In other words, 10% of people won't get your permission and will be discriminated. The question is: Why?
Why not pushing the permission rate to 100% by removing the restrictions in the first place?

- By distributing a modified version of this subgame you agree that all your changes are licensed under WTFPL.

I have nothing against the WTFPL.
But when considering the subgame license, I realize that this clause is unfair.
I don't know whether you intend it or not, but this gives you the right take any changes made by other people very easily, but keep everything under your proprietary terms for yourself. I don't think that (potential) contributors would be happy to hear this.

###For the textures, 3D models, sounds
CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

This license is known to cause a lot of more troubles than you think of or you may intend. Basically, for the same reasons I listed at the beginning. If you have time, there is a longer text about the problems of the “non-commercial” clause here:
http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

In legal practice, the distinction between “non-commercial” and “commercial” is very fishy.
In Germany, it was actually judged that a governmental tax-funded radio (Deutschlandfunk) was illegally using a CC-BY-NC photo because Deutschlandfunk was seen as “commercial” under the terms of the license.
In other words, in Germany, using anything with a “-NC” in it is like playing with fire, no matter how “non-commercial” you think you are.

Here's someone writing about this in German:
https://www.aid24.de/rechtsblog/lg-koel ... n-cc-nc-20
(I don't have a translation of this, but you may try to use any web translator of your choice)

I don't know about other countries. I would even go as far and assume that anyting with an “-NC” in it should be treated as if it were under full copyright. But that's just my opinion.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:01

Edit: put all that text under a spoiler. Not everyone would like to scroll down that much :)
+ Spoiler
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Sep 16, 2015 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 16:47

I actually don't mind to let one use ads in lets-plays or any kind of sites. I want to know where my stuff goes to. Partially because I'd like to gain some demographic info, partially because I'd like to know who is able to "let me down". Just ask and the one who asks will be granted what hi/she wants if I'm fine with it ;)

Well, in that case, this point can be safely dropped from the license, right?
If you're just interested in demographics or statistics, it would be better (IMO) to make it a friendly request (the word “please”) which is not demand (read: a part of the actual license).

This is a pretty astounding restriction. Any organization? There are many organizations around the globe, big and small, and you just exclude all of them. It is also not clear when a person counts “as” a member of an organzation.
This also means that, for examples, members of the press are forbidden to use it (i.e. in order to write about it). I hope you can guess by now that a bunch of other practical problems would arise from this restriction.

There were 2 organizations and 5 ppl who asked me so far and they had my permission. 4 of those ppl still have the permission. One organization+1 person went down because they were trying to cheat. The other organization suddenly decided I should fix its server-related issues and shouldn't ask anything in turn. It has deleted my stuff on its own.

I have no idea what you mean by “cheat”.
Demanding from you to fix a bug (not just requesting) in that way is rude, but that would be no reason to revoke everything (even basic usage) (if it that's what you're implying).

I'd like to get ppl involved but I don't like when I'm being used.

Understandable. Just don't work together with such people. That's not a justification to restrict freedom of other people.

That is the reason I re-coded many mods from scratch even though there were ready-to-use implementations. I didn't wanted to be blamed (but I still am) for using more than I've done myself.

Well, I personally wouldn't recode everything just to avoid “blames”.
And to be clear, I would not blaming you for using the work of everyone else.

I want to be in control of something that took 2 years of my life while I was developing this (and I'm still is).

Well, you are playing with words here. You do not just want to be control over Magichet alone, because this control is pretty trivial: Just make stuff. With that part I have no problem.
But from your writings I know you also want to be in control over the behaviour of other people

If I'd let anyone to use other licenses then I'd be forced to ask and to wait for approval every time I'd like to merge anything (because I don't want to change the license).

Welcome in the world of copyright!
By the way, I am not here to argue against share-alike.

Too bad, you didn't mention the part where I let every author to use the code modified by me on the same WTFPL terms. It's all about trust. Those who would like to give me their help with some mod will eventually receive the whole mod they've contributed to on the same WTFPL terms. It's like investing to get more.

Well, thanks for not restricting freedom in a special case, I guess?
Basically, this clause is just an exception from the general restrictive terms. Of course you will change the mods in a way that they will work best with Magichet, for obvious reasons. I don't think it is really likely that one could extract a single mod cleanly out of Magichet without further changes, I guess.
Also, this exception only applies to the original mod author.
Things would be easier if the whole subgame would fall under non-restrictive (read: no NC, no usage restrictions) terms instead.

This may lead to whole game being released under WTFPL if all those authors will submit enough and then join to create a newly licensed subgame.

Those who really interested in the game, not in the licence will help. Eventually.

I've already told everyone that should there be a person who has added as much as me - I'll make MGC LGPL right away. I don't need to write that down in the licence, though. Because by doing that I'd actually promise to do that even if there will be only 1 useless commit in a repo forked 2 years ago.

This is not really convincing. I am not caring about what the Magichet license may be in 2 years when the stars and your mood are right. I care about the license in the present.

I've seen no potential contributors but one. And he already got his money, his permission, gave me load of ideas and wrote some music.
Minetestforfun seemed to be interested, but the only wanted to use my... "lousy beta subgame" if I'm not mistaken in citing him/her (I didn't ask about the real name or gender - that's impolite).
The 3 othe ppl who gained some permissions are only using MGC in schools to entertain children after classes and/or to teach those basic programming in Lua.

And this explains your reasons to use NC in … what way exactly? o_O

This license is known to cause a lot of more troubles than you think of or you may intend. Basically, for the same reasons I listed at the beginning. If you have time, there is a longer text about the problems of the “non-commercial” clause here:
http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Believe me, I've read a lot before going non-commercial.
But that was inevitable.
This licence already helped me twice and it still has a work to do.

This sounds very mysterious and vague. Your motivation to choose NC is still unclear for me.
Do you want to talk about this?

In legal practice, the distinction between “non-commercial” and “commercial” is very fishy.
In Germany, it was actually judged that a governmental tax-funded radio (Deutschlandfunk) was illegally using a CC-BY-NC photo because Deutschlandfunk was seen as “commercial” under the terms of the license.
In other words, in Germany, using anything with a “-NC” in it is like playing with fire, no matter how “non-commercial” you think you are.

I'm aware of that case and the outcome.

Then you also know that CC-BY-NC is a toxic license (from the user perspective) at least in Germany, but for some reason still unknown to me, you still insist on it (or at least the idea of “non-commercial”)?

Is it so hard to ask and then be nice enough to follow the rule "If you want more - ask for more"?
I don't think so.

ask me and I grant almost anything you want.

But the thing is, it's the author who should initiate the hearing.
Asking me is the best way to determine the "terms of use".
I'm not against a "formal contract" designed by a lawyer.

In other words, 10% of people won't get your permission and will be discriminated. The question is: Why?
Why not pushing the permission rate to 100% by removing the restrictions in the first place?

Discrimination? Hell, no!
90% means there are cases when I won't give any permission whatsoever.
For example, to those who already tried to cheat.

It's like above - ask me and I grant almost anything you want. But only on a per-person/organization basis.

You seem to be pretty obsessed with that permission thing. ;-)
Well, the problem I have with that thinking is, the license is useless because it is so restrictive. Basically one can't do anything without your explicit permission. That defeats the point of having a license altogether and one must treat Magicet as if it were fully protected by copyright.
And no, it is not “hard” to ask for permission. That's not the point.
Imagine all the mods or subgames in this forum were under similar licenses like yours. And now imagine your want to build a subgame out of a set of these mods. It would be a nightmare to get all those permissions and would require countless exchanges, plus delays (some people might be on vacation or something). Luckily, most subgames and mods in these forums are released as free software under non-restrictive terms. Magichet is the big, big exception here.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 22:36

Edit: put all that text under a spoiler. Not everyone would like to scroll down that much :)
+ Spoiler

4aiman

by 4aiman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:07

Working on villages re-enabling.
Have made several houses both unique and build by MC blueprints.
screenies

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 21:26

Alright, I continue the “non-commercial” discussion here.

What are you motives for asking me?

Because of principles. I honestly reject the non-commercial clause on the grounds I already have stated a couple of times. Also, because Magichet is uniquie in the Minetest forums in that is has a rather restrictive license. Magichet is the black sheep.

Whom do you represent?

No one but myself.

I need real ppl, not just some random guys/gals who only want to tear my game apart to have even more generic mods.
Thanks, but no thanks ;)

Still no reason to make usage such a legal minefield then. So assume someone actually makes a “generic mod” out of your subgame. So what? This may be no gain for you, but certainly not a loss either. So why so restrictive?

There's no way to make an open-source product w/o restrictions or imposing a certain behaviour.

Bullshit! This is a step-to-step guide on how to do it:
Step 1: Make software.
Step 2: Release it as free software under WTFPL (or a similar license).

Yes, but what is your interest? (I've asked this earlier already ;)

Basically, I want Magichet to become free software. The license, however, makes it non-free software.

In order to do that, I want you to please do this:
  • Drop all anti-commercial clauses without exceptions (line 5, line 15)
  • Drop all usage restrictions without exceptions (line 6)

This is not a demand, just a request.

Really, I don't know why should I care for ppl whose help goes not to the devs, but just for the sake of making the code more "free".
But "freedom" is an illusion - GPL enforces it's rules upon everyone who uses it. I won't abide only because someone wants me to. I feel uneasy and anything but free.

Yes, the GPL enforces its rules. So does your license. What's your point? To be clear, I am not exactly a fan of the GPL (any version), but here's do a quick comparison to debunk your GPL bashing:

GPLv3 and GPLv2: No restrictions on usage whatsoever.
Magichet: Restricts usage of any kind of organization.

GPLv3 and GPLv2: No restrictions on commercial usage either.
Magichet: Forbids every kind of commercial usage. Is vague on what constitutes “commercial usage”.

GPLv3 and GPLv2: Strong copyleft.
Magichet: Not sure, but I would say there is no copyleft. Or if there is a copyleft at all, it's certainly weaker than in GPLv2 and GPLv3.

GPLv3: Disallows tivoization. (I won't explain it here, let's just say it's another restriction.)
GPLv2: Doesn't do that.
Magichet: Doesn't do that.

GPLv3 and GPLv2: Is a free software license.
Magichet: Is not a free software license (violates freedom 0 [usage for any purpose] and freedom 2 [distributon] pretty hard).

As you can see, the GPLv2 and GPLv3 have their points where they are more restrictive than your license, but in return your license has points where it is obviously much more restrictive than GPLv2 and GPLv3.

Anyways, I am not arguing that you now must switch your license to GPL. I didn't even mention it in the first place, so I don't know why you came up with GPL.

Also, because I am not sure you are aware of it, copyleft is not required for a software to be called “free software”.

I won't abide only because someone wants me to.

Frankly, I don't believe you. Or you're actually an anarchist, which is obviously not the case. ;) If you would truly not abide people “only because they want you to”, then you would have no reason to respect anyone's copyright (or license) either, because that would mean “abiding” to them. You would simply not care at all. But if that would be your honest position, then you would have no reason to expect others to respect your copyright either. You would be an Internet pirate who sails the seven BitTorrent seas. ;)
Probably not. Actually, you do abide by copyright and licenses of others, the proof is the fact that you take the time to rewrite code only/mostly (not sure) to avoid GPL/copyright collisions. If you “won't abide” you would have simply carried on and coded right away without caring about license and copyright at all.

And freedom is not an illusion. In fact, you do enjoy the freedom to use other people's code and artwork, because most stuff here is released as free software.

Remember this?:
It took me around a month to gain Voltbuild under WTFPL terms.

In the case there weren't any WTFPL mods, then I'd have to code even more than I did.

Even if you decide to write 100% of code by yourself, you still enjoy that freedom. Why? Because you could have used that work. Freedom is not about what you do, but what you could do.

So, are you only care about the license after all?

Yes.

Why not to contribute something beforehand?
Help me, show your interest in the game I'm making and I'll turn my face towards you.
If you don't want to, you still may ask me to let you perform a certain commercial activity.

Currently, I am not interested in contributing for Magichet. I have many other things I work on and I also just don't feel like it. It's as simple as that.

I am especially not interested in contributing to a proprietary software—which Magichet is.

Not really. But repeating it helps me to defend my game against "give-me-this-and-go-fix-the-bugs-I-found-which-occured-only-because-I-have-a-different-view-on-a-game-you-are-coding-for-me" kind of people.

What does that have to do with the permission thing? Just say “no”, say that you are not their slave (or whatever), or just ignore them altogether. If you want to shout it out publicly, your “permission thing” seems to miss the point: Wouldn't it be more logical to say something like “There is no point in demanding this-or-that from me, I am not your slave so I won't to it.” (this was just an example).

It is especially helpful against Russians, Ukrainians and Chinese :)

Stupid stereotypes are stupid.

Well, the problem I have with that thinking is, the license is useless because it is so restrictive. Basically one can't do anything without your explicit permission.

You're wrong.
One can!

Alright, fine. So there is something which is not directly restricted. But of what use is this?
The problem lies in the ambugiuty on what constitutes “commercial use” and on what constitues an “organization”. Those terms are very vague.

Therefore, it is not possible to safely assume that it is OK to use or re-use Magichet, because there is always the risk that <random activity X> can be seen as either as “part of an organization's work” or as “part of an commercial activity”. I already explained with the German example why this is a problem.
So even although you do not directly forbid derivates, what use is that if there are pretty heavy usage restrictions with broad (and ambugious) terms in place?
Do you think it would be fun to be allowed to modify and distribute your software, but using it is a legal minefield? How do you think that should work out? Writing source code but never executing/testing it? xD

Explicit permission required only when one would like to profit upon my work.

Not true, since your license also states:
- You do not use this subgame as an employee/member of any organization - commercial or not.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 22:31

I never tried to get you to change the license, all I said was:

1. Mods in Mod Releases need a download
2. NC mods aren't open source (when you said it was)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:40

+ "even more text"

This is starting to become yet another holywar.
In order to rule out repetitions of the same text over and over, I'd like to clarify several things:
1. The license itself won't change in the nearest future.
2. I don't care whether ^that crosses someone's principles.
3. Here is the list of those to whom I will listen regarding the licensing (in no particular order):
+ Spoiler

All ^those^ ppl have licensed some mods under WTFPL and I used at least parts of those in the following mods (in no particular order):
+ Spoiler

If I missed someone - tell me.
4. As the license says, everyone in the list may do to the changed code whatever he/she pleases to, including re-releasing it under WTFPL.
If you'd like to make all changes I made to your mods to be re-licensed (pick any license of your choice), then tell me and I'll change the license for those mods within Magichet.
I can't promise making a separate mods with those changes included, though - I'm too busy with MGC.
Note, that I will respect the view of everyone in the list, but the mod's initial contributor's decision will be the defining one.
Until official request (or the moment entire MGC will become GPL-licensed) there will be no changes to the license of the mods above.

5. The following mods are the intellectual property of 4aiman:
+ Spoiler

No one but me will decide on the license of ^those^.

6. If someone would like to make me change the license of any mod/mods written by me - he/she can start contributing to that/those mod/mods.
The more your code goes in - the quicker you'll be able to claim the copyright.
I can't assure anyone, but as Wuzzy has pointed it out, I truly honored all the licenses of the mods I used and not used.
I may be stubborn, but I'm also honest.

7. I don't want to participate in hypothetical talks and I'm not interested in anything that is not connected with Magichet's development here.
Please, create a whole new thread to discuss MGC licensing issues. Invite me if you're interested in my remarks.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 14:50

@Rubenwardy
I don't really want to discuss or repeat the whole "unpleasant conversation".
In case you didn't edit/remove your posts (on that matter, I didn't), everyone should be able to make his/her own impression on what me or you have been trying to do.

Please, no more offtopic (e.g. non-MGC-development-related talks) here.

zill

by zill » Sat Sep 19, 2015 20:10

mahmutelmas06 wrote:Do you have comparison table for magiched over minetest ?

Error code
0xc000007b

Same here with the Win64 build.
Win32 build works like it should, so it doesn't seem to be a HDD issue.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 06:55

zill wrote:

Error code
0xc000007b

Not necessarily.
I've asked players for a feedback and got around 20 ppl with Win7 and Win8 x64 editions who reported that x64 build works just fine...
But with this report it makes 2 of you who have issues with the build.

I need more info:
Is that error a BSOD?
If it is, then the problem is really HW-related. I'll need Windows journals to tell what went wrong. (http://www.veeam.com/kb1873)

If it is not, then I need debug.txt (supply it anyway).
It would be helpful to get your config info (use cpu-z http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.73-en.exe), so maybe I will be able to find at least a similar one and test x64 build with that.

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 08:09

@4aiman As I am also for free software, I would like you to release the modifications you made to voltbuild under a free license please (the original LGPL license is fine with me).

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 13:35

Nore wrote:@4aiman As I am also for free software, I would like you to release the modifications you made to voltbuild under a free license please (the original LGPL license is fine with me).

Sure thing.
I'd like to continue to use your work, however, and LGPL isn't something that would help me.
Tell me, please, if you render this as a sufficient change:
All 3rd-party code became WTFPL-licensed within Magichet: https://github.com/4aiman/magichet-toda ... 41a15e2f35

zill

by zill » Sun Sep 20, 2015 14:57

4aiman wrote:
zill wrote:

Error code
0xc000007b

Not necessarily.

I need more info:
Is that error a BSOD? No

The problem is with the package that can be downloaded with the link provided in the first post of this topic (from dropbox mgc64.zip )
Link in your signature gives different package ( magichet_win64-1.2.1.zip ) and that works.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 15:01

Oh!
Can I have a screenshot of the error then?
(The thing is it is my signature that hasn't been updated)

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 17:25

4aiman wrote:
Nore wrote:@4aiman As I am also for free software, I would like you to release the modifications you made to voltbuild under a free license please (the original LGPL license is fine with me).

Sure thing.
I'd like to continue to use your work, however, and LGPL isn't something that would help me.

Well, I was thinking about double-licensing it, which would be compatible with both.

Tell me, please, if you render this as a sufficient change:
All 3rd-party code became WTFPL-licensed within Magichet: https://github.com/4aiman/magichet-toda ... 41a15e2f35

Perfect, thanks a lot!

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 17:43

Nore wrote:Well, I was thinking about double-licensing it, which would be compatible with both.

I've thought about that.
But the thing is, I've promised to do change the license *within* Magichet.
Albeit unintended, that *was* a promise. :)

Nore wrote:Perfect, thanks a lot!

You shouldn't thank me, as you had all rights to do whatever you wanted with the Voltbuild (since it is itest-based) from the very beginning - the license explicitly states that much. :)
But since you didn't, I decided to not to wait until someone else would claim his/her code to be re-licensed.

Minetestforfun

MinetestForFun Magichet CLOSURE

by Minetestforfun » Wed Sep 23, 2015 18:14

Hello,

This post aims at explaining why the collaboration between MinetestForFun team and 4aiman ended, and more generally why it is impossible to work with 4aiman.

Let's start rough, to incitate you to understand this message and to keep reading it : 4aiman is quite stubborn, self-centered, and immature. Let's add that he has no respect for others, and that he treated the developers' team (more than 10 persons) as slaves/morons.

So, this is the complete and detailed story that 4aiman would have wanted to hide forever. This post is made by the MinetestForFun developers team, we will try to be the more accurate and illustrative we can.

PERMISSION TO USE THE SUBGAME

On the 21th of August 2015, the MinetestForFun developers team agreed on the fact that we still had spare ressources on our dedicated server, and that we should help another developer working alone improving/finalize their subgame faster.

I (MinetestForFun/Darcidride) proposed consequently to 4aiman (main modder of Magichet) to open a public server, to help him finalize his subgame. All of this were purely volunteerism, and goes from a good intention, without any counterpart. Just remember that no other public server at the moment ran his subgame. (4aiman himself admitted to us that he never tests his code on a public server)

After some discussions on the 21st and 22nd of August 2015, 4aiman agreed to grant us permission to use his subgame (which is under both permissive and restricted licenses). We all agreed, everything was fine until then.

The server opened a week later (time needed to attribute ressources to it, to reffine some scripts/cronjobs, to add some important mods for us, and also prepare the GitHub repository).

SERVER OPENING

Once the server opened, bug/crash reports started pouring over us, about thirty at least, considering that the subgame basically crashed every five minutes with 1 to 3 players at best... With 30 issues, wich we ordered with labels, we assigned about twenty of them to 4aiman, because the bugs are from his game, and that it is logical that he should fix them. After all, our team was not dedicated to fixing those errors which emanate from "upstream".

Remember that we were only here to host his subgame, to help him debugging his game more easily, and improving it. We were not in any case there to work with 4aiman to code his subgame.

This is the point he apparently didn't understand, because he unassigned him from 17 of the issues, as "only 3" of them "interested him" (I'm quoting). Then he let us clearly understand that he didn't care about the other issues, implying that it was easy for us to read the code and fix them, and that we would have to fix that on our own. Did this young man really understand why we gave him ressources to host his subgame?

Secondly, after a talk within the developers' team of the server, we agreed to remove the russian translation of the items' description from our server only, removing it from our repository (version used on our server). We judged it legitimate, considering that less than 5% of our servers' visitors are russian (probably less, real numbers would be closer to 1% of the players) and that english is more prevalent than russian. Thus, we removed this superfluous translation, duplicate of the english one. (In game we had english + russian, we turned them into only english, and when we look at the russian population of the forum, we couldn't dismiss our analysis.)

Discovering it, 4aiman got angry, and started a very unpolite points/counter system, giving the unpleasant feeling of him taking us from high up. He told us we had only 2 points left, implying that after two other modifications he wouldn't like, he would forbid our fork (which is wrong, it's not a fork, it's just a version with some little mods adds for grant us for example the possibility to monitoring the server, anyway ). 4aiman answered us in a very dumb and mean way, arguing that russian is more spoken than english in Minetest, and that whatever would happen there would be a lot of russian players (arguments which was neither logical nor thoughtful).

So, I argued back, explaining him with logic and analyzes why russian doesn't have its legitimate need to be in an "international" subgame, proposing him solutions to add russian translations optionally.
I added, following those disagreeable words, that we were here volountareely, and that we were not his slaves, thus he needed to treat us in better way otherwise the server wouldn't last long.

Consequently to my second answer, trying to bring him back to reason, he decided to take another point, and told us that we only had one left, without any other argumentation.

CLOSURE OF THE SERVER

Here is the discussion, and the final moments. We can also see my final response, which will close our collaboration http://i.imgur.com/iEN7mrp.png (you can see at the top the logical and thoughtful answer that I sent and then, lower, his thoughtless one, and finally, my closure message at the bottom of the picture).

Because we closed the repository all of a sudden and from fear that he had not read our final message, I decided to send him in a PM, the following picture : http://i.imgur.com/Yi0x9Xh.png. Here is his answer, still stained with the same patronizing way of interacting : http://i.imgur.com/OfXMGDH.png
Here is my definitive response, after consultation of the team : http://i.imgur.com/wruCy9P.png.
The discussion is closed.

Finally, to prove us the full expansion of his mental maturity (again...), 4aiman, angry, sent me (MinetestForFun) private messages on freenode with random nicknames to insult me in both french and english (with doubtful and funny translations).

CONCLUSION

We hope to have done our best for everybody to understand 4aiman's state of mind, who, in our opinion, is an immature capricious child, imbued of himself.

SIGNATURES

Mg

GitHub: LeMagnesium
IRC: ElectronLibre Mg
In-game: Mg

by Mg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 18:36

Okay, so, being the developer who removed the russian translation from our repository, which is kind of the spark that ignited all of this, I have to react to all of this, personally. I would like first to clarify some points here :
- Our goal was not to help 4aiman in his coding work, but to provide him a public server to run his subgame, and report the issues in our repository. We wanted to fix our modifications, only our modifications (other mods, little tweaks, etc).
- The specific commit that deactivated russian translation on our server was meant by me to be as little as possible. Indeed, it impacted only one mod, localization (which, according to its name, should do more than translating in russian but that's only my point of view), and was only adding a few lines :

mods/localization/init.lua | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/mods/localization/init.lua b/mods/localization/init.lua
index 741213a..cb03bbe 100755
--- a/mods/localization/init.lua
+++ b/mods/localization/init.lua
@@ -2,6 +2,7 @@ local total = 0
 --local locale_rus = os.setlocale('Russian_Russia.65001',"ctype")
 --local locale_rus = os.setlocale('en_US',all)
 localization = {}
+localization.enabled = false
 localization.locale_rus_chr = os.setlocale('ru_RU.CP1251',"all")
 localization.locale_rus_num = os.setlocale('C',"numeric")
 localization.untranslated = {}
@@ -2191,6 +2192,9 @@ localization.translations = {
 }

+if not localization.activated then
+   return
+end
 for name,def in pairs(minetest.registered_items) do
     local total2=total
     if name and name~='' and localization.translations[name] and localization.translations[name]~='' and not def.trans then

Also, this commit concerned our server, and was not meant to be necessarily merged into 4aiman's repository, but if it was, I even modified in a way that would be reversible and gave choice to the users to disable/enable this feature. I will not argue about the importance of Russian in Minetest, I've seen many russian speaking persons among the community, and that's just fine, but it's not event the second most present language.

As the person who looked into the code, to try to understand how it worked, to fix some crashes as best as I could with the few hours I had spent playing Magichet, and about half an hour of code reading, I can also say that our team would not have had enough time/people to read and understand Magichet's code, and fix the 17 issues judged by 4aiman as "not interesting".

I should also insist on a last point that is personal to me, the fact that you, 4aiman, used my nickname, Mg, to denigrate our team, and in the same post, declare that you won't allow any fork (which is not good, in my opinion, this is just a childish reaction), and then, advertise the new features of your subgame, which I find despicable.
EDIT: Here is the post : viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10507&start=175#p191090

I hoped you liked to read that.
"[...] Manganese and Mercury, Molybdenum, Magnesium [...]"
Mods I shared : metatools, ignore, PvPButton with U_inv support
You can look for more in my GitHub repositories
Tox ID : D878DF75D369C10DC0D3A1A782636EA242AE64FD687EDBADCB679AFACA78910BCEAAECF825E0
Currently developper for MinetestForFun server .

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:11

Er.... what? O_o
Aside from that being a lie you're went offtopic. Reported.
How nice of you to provide so many evidences of your aggression and mockery. :)
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mg

GitHub: LeMagnesium
IRC: ElectronLibre Mg
In-game: Mg

by Mg » Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:25

Well, then maybe we should start a new thread to debate about that "lie". What do you think about that?
"[...] Manganese and Mercury, Molybdenum, Magnesium [...]"
Mods I shared : metatools, ignore, PvPButton with U_inv support
You can look for more in my GitHub repositories
Tox ID : D878DF75D369C10DC0D3A1A782636EA242AE64FD687EDBADCB679AFACA78910BCEAAECF825E0
Currently developper for MinetestForFun server .

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:32

Mg wrote:Well, then maybe we should start a new thread to debate about that "lie". What do you think about that?

Do as you wish. just remove any non-development posts made by you or your team from this thread.

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Sep 23, 2015 19:59

Really ? You scream and say that it's a lie... You could at least be honest ! Look at the detailed story and the number of signatory.

Your mindset is disastrous...

Further proof, that we did well to post event analysis on the forum, it's visible to everyone eyes. Everyone can now understand the reality about your behavior. (for the last they didn't see it for the moment...)

And if you want to report other posts we did, you can do it, links are here :

- French forum (FR, with testimonials) : viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13244
- Server (EN) : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13296

Compared to you, we are the most honest we can. Sorry for you, we know you were not going to like the story gets out.

Previous

Return to WIP Subgames