[Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

Kilarin

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:21

12Me21 wrote:Maybe you should make the markers one node high, so they won't look like they protect more area than they really do.

A very good idea.

12Me21 wrote:Also, it would be cool if you could see the boundaries of the protected area, like if you click a button in the menu, it will spawn entities that show the edges of the area, so you can tell if you missed anything.

My son wants the same thing. I'm planning on looking at the way TenPlus1's protection blocks do it and see if it can be added to areas. I would also like for the markers to self-destruct once you've created the area.

BUT, I learned when forking the carts mod that it is better to offer pull requests one step at a time instead of making lots of changes all at once. That give the original author an easier time testing and picking and choosing what they want to keep.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Fri Apr 17, 2015 15:45

Hello Kilarin,

this subgame looks surely interesting. But I am having some problems with git. I don't know, whether I am doing something wrong, but I always and up with empty compassgps, explorertoolsall and bridgetool folders. Do I have to download them manually?

Anyway, since they are not essential, I think, I can simply ignore them for now.

For the game, I would really like to help developing it.
Since this game is headed in a fantasy like direction with magic (the world stone, for example) I would like to develop a spell system, so players can do magic themselves. But I think, players should evolve over time. They shouldn't be allowed to use all spells right from the start. They should train in magic to get better. So a skill system would be useful.
Furthermore, you would need to unlock the spells before you can use them the first time. Combined with the fracture, this would allow a separation of spell types. In the east, you would find more constructive spells, like spells for building or healing. In the west, spells would be more dangerous and can harm others (attack spells, dark magic ...).
Magic should cost the player something. Maybe we should include Mana? This would also allow to use less energy on spells that you mastered, I mean, where you have high levels.
If a hunger system gets included, it would be possible to speed up getting hungry while you recover mana, what seems logical to me.
Concerning the discovery of spells, quests would be a possibility. So you would get more advanced spells for more dangerous tasks. I thought of some temples for giving the quests. It would seem logical in a world, where magic plays a big role that there would be concurring magic schools that develop different spells, so fighting magic wouldn't be impossible.
For the rewards, I was thinking about Treasurer. Though it has no option to determine whether you are in the west or in the east, I think I could still make use of this unified system. I could simply give a dummy role with the level of the spell and replace it myself by a fitting spell, depending on the location. But using treasurer has the advantage, or disadvantage, that you are not limited to spells as rewards but you also get a lot of useless, er, I mean usefull items.
Another source for spells could be dungeons with boss fights. There you could find the most dangerous spells that would not only harm your enemy, but that could go completely wrong and kill yourself. Maybe spells that drain live energy from your target and, if they don't find a suitable victim, take you. A death spell that always kills... Sounds dangerous.
As a long time target, maybe creatures could be integrated for the animal system. It has an quite interesting approach by trying to eliminate the differences between players and NPCs. The standard behaviour is, that you start as a ghost and have to possess an animal/human/monster to do something serious in the world. But it shouldn't be to hard to change that you still start as a human and can possess the animals by using spells. Maybe only for a short amount of time? (I'd love being a dragon, by the way. There are dragons in this world, aren't they? Maybe deep in the west?)
Doing this would be easy using playereffects. This would also be useful for most other spells. (I already have a working spell system I would like to continue, but I need some ideas, especially for the crafting recipes.) This would also help developing some potions.

Anyway, what do you think of the ideas stated above? What should I face first or is there something else I might do? You are the boss and should state the direction where everything is going. I don't want to code something that isn't integrated so I wait for your answer.

Regards, TeTpaAka.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 21:32

Love the ideas TeTpaAka. I will have a more detailed discussion of your suggestions soon. Buried under for the next 2 days.

And you are absolutely right about compassgps, bridgetool, and explorertools, they are empty in github, although I have no idea why. will correct that this weekend.

Do want to let folks know that I believe the pvp problem is mostly resolved. Will have an update coming out next week.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 04:02

I think your ideas for the magic system fit in VERY well with what my son and I were discussing TeTpaAka.
creatures ... The standard behaviour is, that you start as a ghost and have to possess an animal/human/monster to do something serious in the world.

Yeah, that, while fascinating, wouldn't fit very in this world.

But it shouldn't be to hard to change that you still start as a human and can possess the animals by using spells. Maybe only for a short amount of time?

And that sounds perfect!

(I'd love being a dragon, by the way. There are dragons in this world, aren't they? Maybe deep in the west?)

Very much hope to have dragons!

Right now I'm suffering from a problem in my pvp system. :(

Question for all of you minetest lua geniuses.

If I have an itemstack, I can do: local cap = itemstack:get_tool_capabilities();
And then cap.damage_groups.fleshy tells me how much damage this tool should do to a person or monster.

BUT

if I am looping through all of the tools in the game with a for loop like this:
for cou,def in pairs(minetest.registered_tools) do
def.on_use works just fine, but def.get_tool_capabilities() results in:
attempt to call field 'get_tool_capabilities' (a nil value)

Why can I get the tool capabilities from the itemstack, but not directly from the tool?
I'm doing something stupid here, I know, but I'm sleepy. Will work on it next time I get a break. Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Sun Apr 19, 2015 07:37

Kilarin wrote:Why can I get the tool capabilities from the itemstack, but not directly from the tool?
I'm doing something stupid here, I know, but I'm sleepy. Will work on it next time I get a break. Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

It's simple. The registered_tools table doesn't contain itemstacks but tables of the tool definition. So, the function you're trying to call isn't defined. But you can get the tool capabilities by using:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local cap = dev.tool_capabilities

The Problem is, this value can be nil, for example for the screwdriver or the compass. So you have to check for allowed values.
To check what a variable actually is, I find useful using
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
print(dump(def))

from time to time. It allows seeing such simple mistakes.

Kilarin wrote:
(I'd love being a dragon, by the way. There are dragons in this world, aren't they? Maybe deep in the west?)

Very much hope to have dragons!

The Problem with dragons, right now, is, that you can't simply set the collision box for the player like you can for other entities. That's why, most of the mobs of the creatures mod are humanoid. And being a rat is annoying because you need still a tunnel being 2 nodes high. Hope this changes in the future.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 14:13

TeTpaAka wrote:The registered_tools table doesn't contain itemstacks but tables of the tool definition.

Obviously I was VERY sleepy. :) Makes perfect sense, thank you.

Another idiot problem I had: explorertoolsall, compassgps, and bridgetool are all correctly in the github now. I copied those folders over directly from my working directories. STUPID, they still had their own .git folder, and so git apparently ignored them when I did git add -A. Corrected now, and I will know to NOT DO THAT in the future. :)

Big change in this update is a new mod wildweapons:
Browse wildweapons code here: https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/tree/master/mods/wildweapons
download fractured 0.8 here: https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip
Not much to it for taking me so long to figure out. <sigh> Big thanks to TenPlus1 for his example of how to make a weapon that could bypass pvp, to 4aiman for an example of how to stack calls, and to TeTpaAka for explaining how not to code like an idiot. :)

wildweapons loops through every tool in the game (It needs to soft depends on all mods that add tools) and it adds its own special on_use function to each tool that can cause fleshy damage (then calls the tools original on_use function, so it stacks the calls)
pvp is turned off now, so you can not damage another player, BUT, in the west, wildweapon_onuse bypasses the pvp code and applies damage directly to the player! wildweapon_onuse does NOT take into account armor yet, so more work is needed. And if we get the on_push callback that is planned for 0.5, we may decide to replace this functionality entirely, but it works for now.

SO, now we have two critical functions that I was afraid might be difficult to make work. Protection works in the east but not in the west. And pvp is off in the east, but possible in the west (with tools, not open hand yet)

And just to make certain I was absolutely clear TeTpaAka, I would be THRILLED if you would work on your magic system for fractured. I reserve the right to pick and choose and make some changes if I wish, and fully expect there to be multiple forks of fractured with variations that fit with other peoples visions better. But if that is ok with you, please feel welcomed to assist. I need a LOT of assistance. :)

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Sun Apr 19, 2015 16:56

For now, I made a fork of fractured for the development of the magic subsystem. ATM, I only included my magic modpack (wands and spells, they are separate mods, because I originally wanted the spells to be disable-able and provide a stable API, but now, I think I take them as defaults.) with the dependencies playereffects and mana. They are WTFPL, so I think this should not be a problem.
There are currently only a few spells:

Normal Spells
  • Light Orb
  • Dig Node
  • Place Node
  • Heal Yourself
  • Retrieve Item
  • Fly (playereffects)
  • Water Breath (playereffects)
Attack Spells
can be disabled with *enable_attack_spells = false*
  • Blind player (playereffects)
  • Take player down (playereffects)
  • Damage
  • Stun player (playereffects)
I modified the attack spells, so they respect fractured and only work in the west.
But I need some more ideas for spells to make it fun.
There are currently no crafting recipes, but I think I'll replace the current wand with a number of different wands. What about these:
  • Apprentice wand:
    Easy to obtain wand, spells cost more mana than normal, breaks often, takes long to recover
  • wand of speed:
    spells cost the regular amount of mana, takes a short time to recover
  • normal wand:
    Nothing is overpowered, normal mana consume, medium time to recover
  • masters wand:
    Hard to obtain, lower mana cost, short recover time (But longer than the wand of speed), takes long to break
  • wand of time:
    Very hard to obtain (Maybe a piece of the world stone to craft? Or only as a quest item for hard quests?), like masters wand, but doesn't break at all
For now, you would have to giveme wands:wand_1 and giveme wands:spellbook and giveme wands:unlocker to try it out.
Place the unlocker on the ground and right click to enable some spells, click with the spellbook to chose the spells and use your wand to test them out (right click to toggle).

After that, the next step would be defining the temples. I need some ideas for quests. I thought about something like:
  • Collect some items (Nodes, ores, entity drops ...)
  • Find a specific point (Needs to be a later quest. The target area needs to be discovered if there should be something predictable. Or you would end up in the ground.)
  • Attack another temple
  • Repair the temple
  • Bring some items to another temple
  • Kill some enemies (players - especially for dark magic, mobs)
  • guard the temple for an amount of time. Maybe adding a wave of mobs would make the time more interesting.
Do you have additional suggestions?

Furthermore, there need to be concurring temples. So I would need some schematics for the temples. What directions should the temples go?
  • Dark magic - Maybe underground? With obsidian and lava? And traps?
  • Fire magic - A red temple of desert stone? Much fire that doesn't stop burning?
  • Water magic - A temple under water?
  • Air magic - A temple in midair? On the level of the clouds? Maybe higher?
  • Earth magic - This could be the main amount of temple, considering the world stone was there for some time. I think, this would be the most common temple. (And thus, the most useless)
Do you have any additions or other suggestions?
For this list, I assumed, the magic system should follow the more or less standard alchemy with the four elements:
           Air
            |
Fire--------+---------Water
            |
          Earth

And an additional dark magic. Maybe, the dark magic isn't necessary since the attack spells should come from every direction? Should I make a totally new magic system around a belief in the world stone? (Thinking about it, this seems more reasonable.)

After the addition of a regular source of spells, the next step would be the skill system.
Question: Should the skills be per spell or per school (air, fire, ...)? Maybe a combination?

For now, my work shouldn't be included, because everything is still under heavy development and unstable as hell. I keep uploading any additions I make to my repository. I'll tell you when I'm OK with an inclusion (by making a pull request - some day)

BTW, I made an issue on Github for the wildweapons mod. It is good, but not finished.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18

TeTpaAka wrote: I made an issue on Github for the wildweapons mod. It is good, but not finished.

not just not finished, but VERY BAD BUG:https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/issues/6
I gotta figure out how to restore the regular functionality of tools when on_use is nil by default. ugh.

So far I think your magic system looks fascinating. Hope to get more time to look at it in the near future.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 14:51

Kilarin wrote:
TeTpaAka wrote: I made an issue on Github for the wildweapons mod. It is good, but not finished.

not just not finished, but VERY BAD BUG:https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/issues/6
I gotta figure out how to restore the regular functionality of tools when on_use is nil by default. ugh.

you could use punch functions instead of the on_use, l think

Maybe this tower can be used for mapgen, you could calculate the crack somewhere with random splitters…
http://krzysztofmarczak.deviantart.com/ ... -375706908

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 15:36

Kilarin wrote:

I know, I found this bug (but after I wrote this). The easiest solution would be to tell the engine to proceed with the normal behaviour, but this would require an engine change.
Kilarin wrote:So far I think your magic system looks fascinating. Hope to get more time to look at it in the near future.

I definitely will continue working on it.
Hybrid Dog wrote:
Kilarin wrote:

you could use punch functions instead of the on_use, l think

There is only an on_punch callback for nodes and entities. The most critical case are the players, where such a callback will (hopefully) come in 0.5. Currently, there is no other workaround but with the tools. And even this doesn't seem to work properly.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:14

TeTpaAka wrote:After that, the next step would be defining the temples...
Should I make a totally new magic system around a belief in the world stone?

Actually, my personal preference would be for a magic system based more around a science of magic, and less around a religion of magic. I don't think this would require any change in the magic system itself, but only a slight change in the quests. Instead of temples, schools, libraries, and wizard towers?
Would this be compatible with your vision?

Second question. I had imagined the Esem crystal as being a base ingredient for most magical recipes (in parallel with the Mese being the base ingredient in most technological recipes)
I LIKE the idea, but I'm not married to it. Will this fit in with your vision for the magical system, or do you want to try and talk me out of it. :)

Hybrid Dog wrote:Maybe this tower can be used for mapgen, you could calculate the crack somewhere with random splitters

That is a LOVELY tower. Would love to use it for one of the quest locations.

TeTpaAka wrote:There is only an on_punch callback for nodes and entities. The most critical case are the players, where such a callback will (hopefully) come in 0.5. Currently, there is no other workaround but with the tools. And even this doesn't seem to work properly.

I'm going to modify wildweapons to only work on swords as a temporary measure. Try some workarounds, and if I can't get a satisfactory result, we have have to wait for 5.0. <sigh>

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:36

Kilarin wrote:
TeTpaAka wrote:After that, the next step would be defining the temples...
Should I make a totally new magic system around a belief in the world stone?

Actually, my personal preference would be for a magic system based more around a science of magic, and less around a religion of magic. I don't think this would require any change in the magic system itself, but only a slight change in the quests. Instead of temples, schools, libraries, and wizard towers?
Would this be compatible with your vision?

Temples, schools, libraries, wizard towers... It doesn't really matter. There just has to be a place where you EXPECT to learn some spells. I just thought about temples, because in ancient times, the temples have been the place where the knowledge was. So, to learn something you went to the priest, the most sage man in the town. But the other options seem also valid, so I can change it easily.
Kilarin wrote:Second question. I had imagined the Esem crystal as being a base ingredient for most magical recipes (in parallel with the Mese being the base ingredient in most technological recipes)
I LIKE the idea, but I'm not married to it. Will this fit in with your vision for the magical system, or do you want to try and talk me out of it. :)

No, I'm perfectly OK with this. Actually, I made some wands based on Esem recently. It's just basic work without any balancing. But it is a start, at least.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:44

TeTpaAka wrote:the other options seem also valid, so I can change it easily.
...Actually, I made some wands based on Esem recently.

Fantastic, thank you so very much!

patched wildweapons to effect swords only. means swords can't be used for digging or harvesting, but that's hardly critical at this point in game development. lot more work required on solving pvp on wild side only. <sigh>

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:54

To be consequent with the separation in a dangerous west and a peaceful east, it would be a nice addition to change the behaviour of bones.
Either:
  • West: no bones, items get removed
    East: normal bones
  • West: no bones, items drop
  • West: bones without protection
  • West: normal bones
    East: bones with longer (indefinite? probably not because of griefing) protection

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:57

TeTpaAka wrote:To be consequent with the separation in a dangerous west and a peaceful east, it would be a nice addition to change the behaviour of bones.

Oooo! Nice idea!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 08:57

Or:

West: normal bones
East: no bones, items aren't lost.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 15:51

Hybrid Dog wrote:you could use punch functions instead of the on_use, l think

There is only an on_punch callback for nodes and entities. The most critical case are the players, where such a callback will (hopefully) come in 0.5. Currently, there is no other workaround but with the tools. And even this doesn't seem to work properly.[/quote]
l thought that the entity callback can be used for players

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Wed Apr 22, 2015 16:35

Hybrid Dog wrote:l thought that the entity callback can be used for players

No. Players aren't entities. That's the problem of the armour mod. It accomplishes the defence by constantly checking for a change of the player health and healing a bit of it.
But the on_punch callback (or something like it. on_push if I remember correctly?) is planned for 0.5.
There are also other oddities with players and entities. You can't change the collision box for players, besides, the collision box for players is offsetted towards the collision box of entities.
Also the maximal health is fixed for players.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 03:26

My son came up with a wonderful idea. He wanted the mapgen to get more and more exotic as you moved further away from spawn. I thought that would be a GREAT idea. BUT, now I can't figure out something very simple. How do I change the perists for the perlin noise for the mapgen?

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Sat May 02, 2015 14:23

I reckon you can't do that easily without switching to a lua mapgen, but paramat may be able to provide some help about it :)

poet.nohit

GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Sat May 02, 2015 20:03

A recent version of Minetest added the biome parameter for register_ore(). I suppose that could be an easy way to handle that.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun May 03, 2015 03:46

Right now I'm focusing in trying to have different biomes in the east and west, and preferably changing biome frequency as you move away from spawn. HeroOfTheWinds has custom biome code in SkyTest, I just need to take time to sit down and understand it.

domtron vox

GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

by domtron vox » Sat May 09, 2015 04:26

Kilarin wrote:wildweapons loops through every tool in the game (It needs to soft depends on all mods that add tools) and it adds its own special on_use function to each tool that can cause fleshy damage (then calls the tools original on_use function, so it stacks the calls)

Not sure if this is still how it is but, soft-depending on every mod does not sound like a good idea(I assume you are manually adding them to the depends file). Try looking at minetest.after(). I have a mod(first one I started) in the works that loops through every item, node, and tool. To do that without depending on every installed mod, I run my loop in the callback of minetest.after(0, callback) meaning it runs after the registration period has ended. Hope that helps a bit.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Sat May 09, 2015 07:29

domtron vox wrote:
Kilarin wrote:wildweapons loops through every tool in the game (It needs to soft depends on all mods that add tools) and it adds its own special on_use function to each tool that can cause fleshy damage (then calls the tools original on_use function, so it stacks the calls)

Not sure if this is still how it is but, soft-depending on every mod does not sound like a good idea(I assume you are manually adding them to the depends file). Try looking at minetest.after(). I have a mod(first one I started) in the works that loops through every item, node, and tool. To do that without depending on every installed mod, I run my loop in the callback of minetest.after(0, callback) meaning it runs after the registration period has ended. Hope that helps a bit.

That sounds like a really bad idea. The registration functions should only be called on load time. (See lua_api.txt) There are other ways to make sure, every weapon is touched. But this is still only a workaround, that doesn't work really well. For an explanation why, see the github issues.

domtron vox

GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

by domtron vox » Sat May 09, 2015 11:31

I thought he was just modifying already registered items. NVM then.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Sat May 09, 2015 12:05

domtron vox wrote:I thought he was just modifying already registered items. NVM then.

Yes, that's true. But for now, it is just a workaround, because the weapons don't work at all the way they should.
The problem with your attempt is, that I'm not even sure it would work. The registering functions should never be used after load time.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun May 10, 2015 15:03

TeTpaAka wrote:it is just a workaround, because the weapons don't work at all the way they should.

Yep. Really need the new functions that will hopefully be in the next version of minetest to make pvp combat work the way we want. :(

I've been trying to research biome logic, and it is not simple to produce home made biome code. <sigh>

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun May 17, 2015 17:00

Thanks to a recent minetest pull from TeTpeAka the next major problem in fractured has been solved! You will need the newest version of minetest for this to work. But wildweapons now uses register_on_punchplayer and it makes the whole process of controlling where players can damage each other trivial. Now any tool or weapon can only damage another player when you are on the wild side of the fracture. (spells and technology items will probably require their own special code to deal with the same issue)

https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip

register_on_punchplayer also opens up some other interesting possibilities. This is a VERY GOOD addition to minetest!

Now, back to my struggles to learn how biome generation works and build a custom biome generation for fractured that will generate different biomes in the tame and wild sides, and vary based on distance from spawn. <sigh>

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Sun May 17, 2015 17:36

Kilarin wrote:Thanks to a recent minetest pull from TeTpeAka the next major problem in fractured has been solved! You will need the newest version of minetest for this to work. But wildweapons now uses register_on_punchplayer and it makes the whole process of controlling where players can damage each other trivial. Now any tool or weapon can only damage another player when you are on the wild side of the fracture. (spells and technology items will probably require their own special code to deal with the same issue)

https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip

register_on_punchplayer also opens up some other interesting possibilities. This is a VERY GOOD addition to minetest!

Now, back to my struggles to learn how biome generation works and build a custom biome generation for fractured that will generate different biomes in the tame and wild sides, and vary based on distance from spawn. <sigh>

It was mostly BrandonReese's code. You have to thank him. I just made sure, his additions made it into the core. (well, and I made it usable for you by adding the return parameter.)
And the spells already respect the tamed east. Though I hadn't had much time lately to work on them.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun May 17, 2015 17:45

TeTpaAka wrote:It was mostly BrandonReese's code. You have to thank him. I just made sure, his additions made it into the core. (well, and I made it usable for you by adding the return parameter.)

My thanks to both of you, especially for that return parameter!

TeTpaAka wrote:Though I hadn't had much time lately to work on them.

I understand that! :)

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Subgames