[Game] Harvest Mine

Baggypants

GitHub: Baggypants

[Game] Harvest Mine

by Baggypants » Fri Mar 13, 2015 09:47

Ok, nothing to see here. This is just an idea. Move along now.

Harvest Mine is a game where mining is deliberately hard. Farming and trading is the easy path to success. Based roughly on Elite and Harvest Moon. Player will farm and travel to villages and trade with NPC's. Mining with a pick will use stamina, axe will use stamina but not as much as the pick, Better equipment will lower stamina requirement. TNT will be available but be expensive. Shovels and walking will not use stamina but movement bonuses will increase with building roads. Not a survival game. Injury should not kill but incur large stamina and movement penalties. Players should be encouraged to sleep at night or face long periods of running away or protracted tedious fights with wolves,

Trade should be simple, like in Elite. minimal number of things to buy and sell. Most NPC's should buy and sell roughly expected quantities of things within roughly expected prices ranges. Although an equivalent to Animal Crossings 'Stalk Market' could be fun too. Trying to balance the risk/reward would be tricky. AC time limits the availability to buy and sell.

Stuff I'd like to use.

amtmg
Paths
Stamina
Breeding animals
kpgmobs as that has a horse and wolves.
Farming
Fishing
Bees
Adventure Game villages Trading and NPC's

Considerations
Things should happen in the world when the player isn't there. e.g. growing & NPC price variation. This shouldn't push to much load on the server.

poet.nohit

GitHub: poet-nohit

Re: [Game] Harvest Mine

by poet.nohit » Sun Mar 15, 2015 21:43

For things to happen properly instead of in an ABM, you'd need to make use of things like get_gametime() to properly analyze work done. It would be a big shift in the way things are done, but it might be fun to work on.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 00:41

Does sound good

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 06:31

Sounds like a nice addition/extension/continuation of AdventureTest. If you havn't taken a look at it yet, you really ought to! RealTest might also be quite intresting.

As far as villages go, mg_villages is still making progress. I've hunted down a bug and hope to eventually be able to realease a version. My traders might also be of intrest to your game.

Please don't focuss too much on stamina and sleeping at night. We all like to make fun about there beeing no toilets on tv, but that's about it - there's not much fun having to take care of that. Or to watch a black screen while the character sleeps. Such things do not improve but destroy gameplay. Find other ways to emulate it that do not bore the player to death while playing.
A list of my mods can be found here.

poet.nohit

GitHub: poet-nohit

by poet.nohit » Mon Mar 16, 2015 23:17

I don't know. It might be fun to play something more akin to a sim game than just a strict building/adventure type game. I think it's really more what the player expects that matters for amusement value.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 03:04

Or, to be like the actual harvest moon game, where you go to sleep, and your screen blacks for about a 2 seconds, and you awake. That idea is pretty good, and would work nicely.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 03:49

philipbenr wrote:Or, to be like the actual harvest moon game, where you go to sleep, and your screen blacks for about a 2 seconds, and you awake. That idea is pretty good, and would work nicely.

I don't know that game, but such a short sleep animation (shorter duration that it would take normally) is a common solution.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to WIP Subgames