Android - Support for Languages other than English

lordfingle

GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

Android - Support for Languages other than English

by lordfingle » Mon Nov 14, 2016 08:47

I was very surprised to learn the reason why minetest wasn't showing swahili texts on Android.

It doesn't appear to be implemented.

Gettext, the GNU library used for internationalization doesn't seem to have an Android version.

Am I mistaken?

Has anyone attempted a non-english version of minetest on Android?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

muhdnurhidayat

GitHub: MuhdNurHidayat
IRC: muhdnurhidayat
In-game: muhdnurhidayat

Re: Android - Support for Languages other than English

by muhdnurhidayat » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:21

I can see some Russian texts chat in the Official app running on Android 5.1... but I haven't see other non-English words besides Russian...

I tried typing Japanese but it doesn't work either, it appears blank in chat (but IDK if other player see the words I typed, I'll try again and ask other player to see it)...

also I always use external keyboard and mouse with my phone to play this but it seems that some characters can't be insert directly into the text input in game, like the search bar of inventory/creative or writing sign... the characters I noticed that aren't working are slash '/', backslash '\', plus '+'*, question '?', less '<' and more '>'... it did work if using popup (click on that text input brings another popup to write) but it didn't work when writing directly... the error shown is unexpected multibyte character, I use default Android keyboard in system when connecting external keyboard...

I hate that popup because it somehow pauses the game, everything else including chats will freeze when I'm typing inside the popup and it will be good again after I dismiss the popup either by clicking empty area (cancel typing) or by pressing 'enter' (confirm typing)...

*the plus key beside backspace doesn't work, but keypad one works in all situations.

+ screenshots
I'm (slowly) translating mods with intllib and Minetest to Malay without a laptop. I play Minetest on 2GB RAM Android 5.1 phone with external keyboard & mouse. I speak Malay, Mandarin, English and Japanese.
I play as muhdnurhidayat in IhrFussel's Server (mod), FREE PIZZA SERVER !!, VanessaE's Basic-plus Server, Dark Lands Survival, Xanadu and HOMETOWN.

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKES I DID. -- ABJ

lordfingle

GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

by lordfingle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54

Interesting about the chat support. It makes sense though.

My point was the main language of the game executable on Android seems set to English....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 00:39

Actually i guess that's from the android "set language". I know that there is a translation in multiple languages for Minetest in Computer (Linux, Mac, Windows) But actually i don't know about android, 'cause i don't really use it, my phone is blackberry, and the most thing i do is watch youtube, music and calls. :/
Maybe you can check out here for more about translation: https://hosted.weblate.org/engage/minet ... rce=widget
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Minetest Engine