Modding interface

jachoo

Modding interface

by jachoo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 16:40

This topic is for discussion about new modding interface. What should be changed, added etc. And for general discussion between mod devs and engine devs.

I'm first, so my suggestions are:

1. We really need client mods! For example in my fork: crouching and extended block selecting won't work without client support (they are strict client-side). Borderstones and teleports will have ugly names. It will be impossible to see terrain owners. And much more...

2. Documentation. At least a list of possible functions and objects.

3. Database interface. Players and map/env metadata should be in DB, not in files. Putting big amount of data in settings file is not a good idea.

4. Player metadata. E.g. to save player's clans.
5. MapBlock metadata. E.g. to save terrains owners. And maybe Sector metadata.
6. Map metadata. E.g. to save clans names, teleports names.

I know it's a lot of new features, but in actual modding system I can't do anything I've done in my fork. Sorry.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 19:40

Well, as you seem to know pretty well what you need, I suggest making that happen. 8)

It's not like I would have infinite time in my hands. I am still busy extending the scripting interface and what I currently am doing isn't even included in your list. There is an *enormous* amount of things to do. And I get no pay whatsoever (except the ridiculously low amount of donations compared to the time I use for this), so please show some respect.

But as for the client-side stuff, I think most of what you said could be represented over network fairly easily with a suitable static interface. Interfaces are not content and a game benefits from having a consistent interface. It's not like the C++ code would remain static and free from contributions after Lua modding is introduced. Things can be added as long as they are generic and are not content.

If you are pissed off because I haven't mostly even looked at your fork, it is because it is too specific and in 0.3 has to interfere way too much with the codebase.

Staffs

by Staffs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 19:53

I think he is'nt pissed off. He is just doing what you said ..- Telling you what he needs. To make his fork in lua.
I hope you understood cause i explain things very bad in english :D
I love mods :D

celeron55

by celeron55 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 20:45

Anyway, Jachoo: thanks for noting this stuff out - nobody else would have done it. I didn't yet even think about MapBlock, Map and Player metadata or a database interface.

Actually, Map metadata doesn't need to exist if there is a database interface, I think. It would be per-world anyway.

Also, as of what it is now, the modding interface doesn't expose MapBlocks at all. Do you think it would be absolutely necessary?

Player metadata is a definite thing to do.

---
Also, I removed the second reply by Staffs - it was offtopic and this should be a very on-topic thread.

jachoo

by jachoo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 13:14

Of course I'm not pissed off! On the contrary - I'm veeery glad that You continued work with scripting interface!

But back to main topic... MapBlock interface is not necessary, but without it - terrain ownership will be a lot slower and more complex to implement.

And about metadata. All metadata should lie in a database, I think. Player and map/world meta too.

Return to Minetest Engine