by FreeLikeGNU » Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:01

Duane, those are some wicked traps!

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

Re: [WIP] Goblins [mobs_goblins]

by everamzah » Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:29

I'm adding it right to the mobs mod directory. Works pretty good with zombies, I don't know. Thanks for them!! Hope you add the super wicked traps.

duane

GitHub: duane-r

re: Traps

by duane » Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:52

Check here for molten gold for the gold trap and lightning effects for the copper trap. And I think I've finally got the little beggars to tunnel properly.

+ Spoiler

+ Spoiler

+ Spoiler

+ Spoiler

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Wed Sep 09, 2015 04:54

Added duane's traps (with some further modifications ;-) to standalone and redo goblins. Tinkering with traps may be painful.

Edit: i really should learn git better, merging in parts of duane's fork rather than copy-paste :p
Last edited by FreeLikeGNU on Wed Sep 09, 2015 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

everamzah

by everamzah » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:25

Molten gold liquid? Yay, can't wait to try. \o/

duane

by duane » Wed Sep 09, 2015 21:37

FreeLikeGNU wrote:i really should learn git better, merging in parts of duane's fork rather than copy-paste :p

That's my fault. I just meant to throw some extra code into that fork for you to look at, but I ended up including all my own personal tweaks. I wouldn't even attempt to merge it with anything as it is.

On a brighter note, I went in this morning and corrected a LOT of logic errors in the tunneling code, and (thanks to tenplus1) I got it working with stock mobs redo. The do_custom function is amazingly versatile if you know how to use it. You should be able to just paste it in for any "dungeon-building" creature.

I've intentionally stuck with letting the creatures make only one change per "walk", which required altering the search/replace that tenplus1 put in to not use a replace chance. It's unnecessary when the mobs can only do one thing at a time, and they were occasionally changing whole swaths of nodes instantly as it was.

They're making a barge-load of tunnels, rooms, and such now -- probably more than some would prefer, but I like it.

Let me say again, that this mod is excellent, bordering on genius. Letting mobs make significant alterations to the environment is a quantum leap over what I've seen in the game so far.

duane

by duane » Wed Sep 09, 2015 21:39

everamzah wrote:Molten gold liquid? Yay, can't wait to try. \o/

Don't get too excited. You can't make a gold generator. : )

We do need to decide what happens when you quench a molten gold flowing block. I'm not for making it gold ore.

duane

by duane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 00:49

Ferk wrote:I think that as a WIP mod that's fine, but maybe the goblins should be less common and a bit more concentrated in particular areas. So that it's more of a discovery to manage to find a den of goblins. You still could get some solitary goblin explorer that starts messing up your cave, but it shouldn't be as frequent as in the WIP version of the mod.

I'm starting to think that we ought to slightly reduce the spawn rates for most of the goblins except the cobbler (and maybe the digger) on stone/ores, and include mossycobble in their spawn nodes. That would tend to keep them together, and more importantly they wouldn't starve themselves out by replacing the ores they spawned on. I hate to see abandoned lairs.

Edit: Yep, I did that and it works a lot better. The lairs aren't quite as empty.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Sat Sep 12, 2015 06:20

Duane, I merged your pull request for standalone, though something in me thinks this digging code is more for the likes of dwarves than goblins...

duane

by duane » Sat Sep 12, 2015 08:12

FreeLikeGNU wrote:Duane, I merged your pull request for standalone, though something in me thinks this digging code is more for the likes of dwarves than goblins...

Do I hear another mod announcement?

You could always make it optional (or throw it out). The random node replacement was annoying to me, and I really wanted to see them dig into other caves. They hit a lava cave the other day, and I was amazed at how long the little devils can survive in molten rock.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Sat Sep 12, 2015 20:38

I've adjusted digging to occur more often and removed digging from goblins other than digger. Also reduced debug messages to just nodes being replaced.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun Sep 13, 2015 01:00

I just downloaded the latest from git. Love how they are acting now. Awesome work!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

everamzah

by everamzah » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:23

Do you have plans to drop the goblins mod that depends on Mobs Redo?

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Sun Sep 13, 2015 15:14

everamzah wrote:Do you have plans to drop the goblins mod that depends on Mobs Redo?

I would like for it to be easy to use goblins standalone or with redo, so I don't plan to drop support for redo, though it may take a little while to get them synced.

moshiro fumamoto

by moshiro fumamoto » Sat Nov 07, 2015 14:57

wont work. some help. am new at this

duane

by duane » Sun Nov 08, 2015 05:16

moshiro fumamoto wrote:wont work. some help. am new at this

What isn't working? I haven't seen any problems so far.

moshiro fumamoto

by moshiro fumamoto » Wed Nov 11, 2015 23:46

duane wrote:
moshiro fumamoto wrote:wont work. some help. am new at this

What isn't working? I haven't seen any problems so far.

don't know. maybe is the mod folder name.

duane

by duane » Thu Nov 12, 2015 01:15

moshiro fumamoto wrote:don't know. maybe is the mod folder name.

Did you see a message about the problem? The folder has to be named "mobs_goblins". If you can run the game from a terminal window, you might see more messages.

moshiro fumamoto

by moshiro fumamoto » Thu Nov 12, 2015 02:04

duane wrote:

Did you see a message about the problem? The folder has to be named "mobs_goblins". If you can run the game from a terminal window, you might see more messages.

nothing. still run error

moshiro fumamoto

by moshiro fumamoto » Thu Nov 12, 2015 17:36

moshiro fumamoto wrote:
duane wrote:

nothing. still run error

ERROR: mod error: failed load and run
/usr/share/games/minetest/mods/mobs_goblins/init.lua

oleastre

GitHub: oleastre
In-game: oleastre

by oleastre » Sat Nov 14, 2015 16:16

If it's installed in /usr, I suppose, you did it as root.
And if you try to run it as a user, can you verify you have enough permissions to access the mod files ? (Read for files and read + execute for directories)

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Mon Nov 16, 2015 18:08

Just a note, your goblins can violate areas as defined by Advanced Area Protection mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7239&hilit=areas%5C) - do you have any solutions to keep your goblins out of basements?

EDIT: Nvm, I changed their spawn to -100 and it works, as they tend to dig/build down not up :P

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 04:23

I love that the goblins actually have a purpose, and that they don't all mindlessly attack you. It makes them almost seem intelligent. Wish more mobs were like this. This works really well with the abandoned mines mod.
[url]
viewtopic.php?id=6307[/url]

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 21:20

I added this mod to the Eden2 subgame which also contains the villages modpack, and I started wondering what all those goblins were doing underground. Why were they mining so relentlessly? Then I realized it would be really cool if every 7th night, there should be a blood moon where dozens of goblins emerge from recently opened holes in the surface and start shooting exploding arrows and use catapults with rocks that basically wreak havok on the village, destroying any buildings that the players are hiding in.

duane

by duane » Fri Dec 25, 2015 17:41

Neuromancer wrote:I added this mod to the Eden2 subgame which also contains the villages modpack, and I started wondering what all those goblins were doing underground. Why were they mining so relentlessly? Then I realized it would be really cool if every 7th night, there should be a blood moon where dozens of goblins emerge from recently opened holes in the surface and start shooting exploding arrows and use catapults with rocks that basically wreak havok on the village, destroying any buildings that the players are hiding in.

I'm a traditionalist. I'd rather have them ride out on wolves and set everything on fire.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:00

duane wrote:I'm a traditionalist. I'd rather have them ride out on wolves and set everything on fire.

I liked the idea of flaming arrows also, but if you are going to add fire, it should be configurable to turn it off, because depending on your situation (lots of flammable plants and trees) this can cause raging fires in the world that never stop burning. It would be cool except then everything starts lagging and the noise gets obnoxious. So there should be a way to still have goblin raids without ruining your world if you don't want to.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:18

Speaking of fire, I've been finding when I've been going underground into caves/dungeons that have been populated by goblins, I've been sponaneously starting on fire or being electrocuted and losing hitpoints. Don't get me wrong, I think this is an awesome addition to the game as I love traps, but am wondering if it is part of this mod, or if it is part of some other mod.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Fri Dec 25, 2015 19:24

The explosions are from the Goblins, they make traps that look just like the cobble with coal and moss. I was surprised when I first discovered them, but looking through the code it is indeed from the Goblins.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

duane

by duane » Fri Dec 25, 2015 21:43

Nathan.S wrote:The explosions are from the Goblins, they make traps that look just like the cobble with coal and moss. I was surprised when I first discovered them, but looking through the code it is indeed from the Goblins.

My favorite is the TNT trap.

ufa

by ufa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 19:34

How do I disable this mod? I have already out load_mod in false on world.mt but it did not work. Also, if I delete the folder, I get lots of errors

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Mods