[Mod] Cityscape [cityscape]

duane

GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] <Cityscape> [<cityscape>]

by duane » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:55

I've reduced the memory footprint of the mod a bit and added parks.

Attachments
cityscape-24.jpg
cityscape-24.jpg (219.69 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Sun Mar 13, 2016 13:49

Now I need to make a zombie that plays soccer...
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 21:17

Nathan.S wrote:Now I need to make a zombie that plays soccer...

Use kaeza's soccer mod and set the AI to always sneaking and to attack that entity. Mebbe with NPCF guards...
I do not care.

wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 23:27

duane wrote:I've reduced the memory footprint of the mod a bit and added parks.

Love the parks ☺
I do not care.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Mon Mar 14, 2016 02:37

This mod is so nuts awesome!!! I can't wait to show my students on Monday. Maybe an idea is a medieval city generated too sometimes with castles. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this mod and that insides of the buildings have details too and you even have sewer systems!! Crazy crazy awesome. Thank you for your awesome work!
-Mike
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com

Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

duane

by duane » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:38

TheReaperKing wrote:This mod is so nuts awesome!!!

Thanks. I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it.

I've added a framework for suburbs. They don't follow any particular pattern; they just pop up here and there. Right now, there's only one type of house -- ugly.

Attachments
cityscape-25.jpg
cityscape-25.jpg (251.08 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 21:10

That is one of the most exciting mods here.
Thank you for releasing this.

Just a suggestion. Maybe you could add traders like in villages mod by sokomine in future releases.
My Mods:

Beverage

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Mon Mar 14, 2016 22:14

Are the buildings generated or saved files that spawn, if they are the latter I'd be willing to make a couple simple houses.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

duane

by duane » Tue Mar 15, 2016 00:25

Nathan.S wrote:Are the buildings generated or saved files that spawn, if they are the latter I'd be willing to make a couple simple houses.

They're generated. However, I plan to put in a bit of code to copy a schematic table into the house array. It's kind of redundant, but I've already got it working with the array, and I've had problems planting schematics in the vm before.

The house plots are always 16x18 (including the yard), so there's not much room to work with, but I'd welcome any help.

wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 05:09

The update looks awesome :)
I do not care.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 03:05

duane wrote:I've added a framework for suburbs. They don't follow any particular pattern; they just pop up here and there. Right now, there's only one type of house -- ugly.

Maybe that's why everyone turned into a zombie - too much grey and too ugly houses :-)

duane wrote:They're generated. However, I plan to put in a bit of code to copy a schematic table into the house array. It's kind of redundant, but I've already got it working with the array, and I've had problems planting schematics in the vm before.

In my mg_villages mod, the schematics are read and then placed using voxelmanip as well. Maybe part of the code (it's in handle_schematics) could be of help to you.

The mod looks very good from the screenshots. It's a less realistic-looking approach (the skyscrapers are too small for real ones), but it does look very convincing nevertheless. The cars are a very nice addition.

MilesDyson ran a server with a city grid some years ago. He did have a small gas station and a little library there. They would fit excellently into this city I think.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TheReaperKing

Re: [Mod] Cityscape [cityscape]

by TheReaperKing » Thu Mar 17, 2016 23:14

Just wanted to let you know my students, 6-8th and 1st&2nd have been going absolutely nuts over your Mod and have been having so much fun using the buildings for houses, businesses, hide and go seek and some just love destroying them haha. Thank you so much for making such a great mod and for inspiring all of us!

In the settings text document you included I changed the desolation # to 10 and I have not been able to notice a change, am I doing something wrong?

Is there actually a bat cave in one of the buildings? I saw you mention it and that would be a fun hunt for the kiddos. I could also just make one and have them find it but I saw you mention it in an earlier post and wasn't sure if it was a part of the mod or something you were just having fun with.

The kids really want to be able to get in the cars so I was going to use the mesecar code and the models for your cars. Not sure if you'd want the code (or even if it'd work out okay).

Thanks again!!! Take care :)
-Mike

Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Fri Mar 18, 2016 00:41

TheReaperKing you might want to check out vehicle mash for cars.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11959

Also, I am Batman so if there is a bat cave then I expect royalties! I want 10% of all the profit this mod makes. ;)
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 01:26

Don wrote:Also, I am Batman so if there is a bat cave then I expect royalties! I want 10% of all the profit this mod makes!

Here's what's owed to you:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Mod profit:  $0
Royalties:   $0
================
Grand total: $0
I do not care.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Fri Mar 18, 2016 02:21

Awesome! Imagine how much nothing I can buy.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

duane

by duane » Fri Mar 18, 2016 02:51

TheReaperKing wrote:In the settings text document you included I changed the desolation # to 10 and I have not been able to notice a change, am I doing something wrong?

The settingtypes.txt file doesn't actually change the default values everywhere. It's only a guide for the minetest program to set up the settings tab. To change the value for a given (new) world, use the settings tab or change the cityscape_desolation entry in minetest.conf. To change the defaults for new games, change the zero in settingtypes.txt and at the end of line 17 in init.lua.

Is there actually a bat cave in one of the buildings? I saw you mention it and that would be a fun hunt for the kiddos. I could also just make one and have them find it but I saw you mention it in an earlier post and wasn't sure if it was a part of the mod or something you were just having fun with.

There are no easter eggs in cityscape. I saw a bat spawn inside one of the buildings and thought it was odd enough that I took a screenshot. Depending on your mapgen, you should find lots of caves connected to the sewer, but Alfred will not be waiting in any of them.

The kids really want to be able to get in the cars so I was going to use the mesecar code and the models for your cars. Not sure if you'd want the code (or even if it'd work out okay).

I'd like to see it. I fiddled with it a bit just now, but for the life of me, I can't get the add_item method of my inventory to work reliably. If I have a mesecar already in the inventory, the function
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
clicker:get_inventory():add_item("main", "mesecar:mesecar1")
will add another car to my inventory. If I've picked one up at any time during that session, it will add one, but if I log in fresh and try to add a car, it does nothing. On the other hand, nearly the same code in mesecar adds one every time. The only difference I can see is that it's being called from an entity, not a node.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Fri Mar 18, 2016 03:32

duane wrote:The settingtypes.txt file doesn't actually change the default values everywhere. It's only a guide for the minetest program to set up the settings tab. To change the value for a given (new) world, use the settings tab or change the cityscape_desolation entry in minetest.conf. To change the defaults for new games, change the zero in settingtypes.txt and at the end of line 17 in init.lua.

Hmm I did try it in the minetest.conf too but I'll mess with it more this weekend. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :D

Regarding the mesecar what I was going to do was just copy and paste the code for one of the three other cars and change the model to use your car model and see how it worked. Aka just add a 4th. I will let you know how it works out :)

Regarding the batcave and your comment about the sewers connecting to tunnels, we did find a sewer that connected to one of those generated temples which was soooo cool. Made it seem like we had found some long lost buried temple deep in the sewers.

I was thinking of messing with ESMOBs as well to try to get some friendly NPCs that wander the cities. Not sure if there is an easier/better NPC mod but it seems like you can do quite a bit and have the NPCs give their own messages.

Thanks again for all of your hard work! It was so funny watching the older "too cool for school" kids absolutely flip out in happiness and light up like little kids getting candy haha. Take care!
-Mike

duane

by duane » Fri Mar 18, 2016 06:41

TheReaperKing wrote:The kids really want to be able to get in the cars so I was going to use the mesecar code and the models for your cars. Not sure if you'd want the code (or even if it'd work out okay).

I've never been too fond of the minetest vehicle controls, so I just added cheapie's non-laggy car functions to the existing car nodes. It changes your model to the car you right-click and speeds you up (requires anti-cheating to be disabled). Drop the car from inventory to change back.

Some people like the boat controls. I'd rather be able to actually maneuver.

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51

O.O

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Sat Mar 19, 2016 17:26

This week is now spring break but the kids had so much playing your mod on Friday. They said they were having trouble with the cars especially getting out and I didn't get a chance to mess with it but overall they were going nuts. They are already starting to set up neighborhoods too with people claiming houses and business near each other. My older kids are even creating a car lot to have a car selling business haha. We have been talking about setting up police stations, schools, a fire department, etc. I'm hoping to get some basic wandering and talking NPCs this week off. Thanks again so much for all your great work, we are all truly inspired!

EDIT - I haven't tested it yet but I was thinking maybe this mod would be interesting for connecting cities :)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9296

duane

by duane » Sat Mar 19, 2016 22:39

TheReaperKing wrote:They said they were having trouble with the cars especially getting out and I didn't get a chance to mess with it but overall they were going nuts.

You have to actually place the car node to get out. Select the car in inventory and right-click to place it. That was the easiest way I could think of to make sure it didn't disappear at any point. Even then, it tends to lag before the game adjusts your appearance again.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Sun Mar 20, 2016 02:12

I don't know how crazy you want to get with this mod but I noticed the mod was looking for manhole covers and this mod (updated from the streets mod) has manhole covers that can be open and closed, and also working traffic lights!

[Mod] Streets+Infrastructure Fork [streets][git]
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13904

Right now I am messing with esmobs and I'm wondering what other NPC packs might work well with it to make the cities feel alive, or desolate ones full of danger! Take care :)
-Mike

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

by Diamond knight » Sun Mar 20, 2016 19:43

Suggestion: a special water node found in the sewers that is sewer water (the sewers we have now have water so clean they are more aqueducts than sewers) and if playereffects is enabled it could register an effect that makes you sick of poisoned if you swim in the sewer water too long.
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Tue Mar 22, 2016 03:17

Duane would you please consider changing your license to CC0 or DWYWPL?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14246

I'd really like to have my kiddos messing around with your gits, especially at our summer camp. I understand if you don't want to but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks so much for everything you've already done for us :)

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue Mar 22, 2016 04:12

Looking better all the time. Keep it up!

twoelk

by twoelk » Tue Mar 22, 2016 09:25

Maby this would be the perfect environment for Sokomine's Wild Cars. Schouldn't be too difficult to make versions for other mob-API's than mobf of this mob.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 19:10

duane have you tried my mesecar mod? the controls are pretty good.

duane

Major Changes

by duane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 09:22

Major changes, and of course, major problems. I've completely rewritten the mapgen.lua to use highways based on paramat's noisegrid. Buildings are now built on a 31-meter plot, which is not user definable. Roads now follow the terrain, which both solves and causes problems.

It wastes memory extravagantly at the moment, but doesn't seem any slower to me.

Before anyone gripes. Read the first post. You can still get the original code there. However, I'm not likely to do much with it in the future.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'm keeping them all in mind.
Attachments
cityscape-27.jpg
cityscape-27.jpg (218.33 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:19

Duane thanks so much for the license change and the branch of the old version! I'll have to test this and also the esmobs guy said he might do a branch of mobs just for the cityscape stuff!

Esmobs:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13616

That is interesting how the roads aren't level anymore and maybe it'd be worth adding slopes? I know there are some mods that use them. Do the cities connect with the highways now? I suppose I could just test :) Also maybe there is a way to restrict the highways to outside of the city limits?

Here are some slope mods:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11433 - Wooden Slopes
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11388 - My Paths
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13555 - Simply Slopes

Not trying to make things more complicated on ya but just an idea :) I can't thank you enough for how receptive you've been as well to all suggestions. Is there anything we can do for you?

If you, Paramat and maikerumine got together I can only imagine what nuts stuff you'd create. I suppose it depends what the end goal is but a living city with NPCs and such would be pretty neat. Like a minetest GTA.

Also as a side note I'm also looking to use cityscape for when the kids and I have a waterballoon battle with the CTF mode :)

You rock! Take care!
-Mike

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 20:58

TheReaperKing wrote:Duane thanks so much for the license change and the branch of the old version! I'll have to test this and also the esmobs guy said he might do a branch of mobs just for the cityscape stuff!

Esmobs:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13616

That is interesting how the roads aren't level anymore and maybe it'd be worth adding slopes? I know there are some mods that use them. Do the cities connect with the highways now? I suppose I could just test :) Also maybe there is a way to restrict the highways to outside of the city limits?

Here are some slope mods:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11433 - Wooden Slopes
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11388 - My Paths
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13555 - Simply Slopes

Not trying to make things more complicated on ya but just an idea :) I can't thank you enough for how receptive you've been as well to all suggestions. Is there anything we can do for you?

If you, Paramat and maikerumine got together I can only imagine what nuts stuff you'd create. I suppose it depends what the end goal is but a living city with NPCs and such would be pretty neat. Like a minetest GTA.

Also as a side note I'm also looking to use cityscape for when the kids and I have a waterballoon battle with the CTF mode :)

You rock! Take care!
-Mike

I like the MT GTA Style idea....
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Mods