[Mod] Loud Walking (Bio-pods) Mapgen [loud_walking]

duane

GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] Loud Walking (Bio-pods) Mapgen [loud_walking]

by duane » Tue Oct 04, 2016 02:36

I've merged the unlimited code into the master branch on github. It is NOT compatible with the older code, and will cause problems if you use it with an existing world. If you want to continue using the older code, use the "old" branch.

The newer code seems to be reasonably stable now. It allows you to set the size of pods in all three axes and the distance between them. Players will spawn inside a pod, rather than on a bridge.

Do not change the pod size for an existing world. Bad things will happen.

Milan*

GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Tue Oct 04, 2016 13:01

Do not change the pod size for an existing world. Bad things will happen.

So they recommended way is to switch to the more stable branch but don't change the settings which are hopefully containing the old small podsize?

It is NOT compatible with the older code, and will cause problems if you use it with an existing world.

Well this doesn't sound so good for a production server, doesn't it!?

Edit: just tested in a backup world...

...not that cool :/

duane

by duane » Tue Oct 04, 2016 21:06

Milan* wrote:So they recommended way is to switch to the more stable branch but don't change the settings which are hopefully containing the old small podsize?

My recommendation is to keep all existing worlds on the "old" branch, which will not get much attention from now on (which means I can't break it). If you want to use the master branch or change pod sizes at any time, either make a new world or expect broken pods at some point. That's just a limitation of the algorithm; there's no avoiding it.

The "old" branch doesn't have any settings at all, so there's no need to change anything.

...not that cool :/

That's why I'm warning ya.

Milan*

GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Tue Oct 04, 2016 21:27

Well in this case, i'll stay on the old branch for now. :)
I hope it will get issue fixes as well. :P

Well, i made experience in modwriting but your code is not as simple as conditioned but will see. :P

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Oct 05, 2016 22:44

I'm interested in the unlimited version, creating structures larger than a mapchunk is not easy.

duane

by duane » Thu Oct 06, 2016 01:13

paramat wrote:I'm interested in the unlimited version, creating structures larger than a mapchunk is not easy.

It's not fast either. /sigh

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 20:43

Adding ethereal biomes would be very nice as the pods could use more variety. Perhaps the game is more suitable for adventure-like subgames than as a normal mapgen. The player could start inside a small shuttle whith which he found the first pod and docked with it. Solving puzzles inside a pod would lead to further pods beeing able to connect to the first one (airlocks opening). Many ethereal biomes are well suited as alien biomes taken from another planet. Even the npc from mobs_redo could live in one of the pods.

Digging for ores inside the pods is a bit strange. The underside of those pods not filled with water ought to contain maintenance areas and quaters, maybe even some fields for growing fruits for the (missing) crew. Getting new ressources would be tricky The normal way of crafting tools, growing trees and just digging up huge amounts of landscape for buildings doesn't really fit in. A machine could provide the player with cheap and lightweight material for buildings, painted/coated in diffrent ways for diversity.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Previous

Return to WIP Mods