[Mod] Sounding line [0.5] [sounding_line]

FaceDeer

[Mod] Sounding line [0.5] [sounding_line]

by FaceDeer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 20:00

This mod adds a single new block type: a sounding line on a spool. When built over empty space the line can be used to measure how far down the surface of the water below it is (if any) and how far down the first solid obstruction is below that. It can also detect and report the surface of lava but it cannot tell how deep the lava is.

This is a handy item to have when considering whether to leap into an abyss that may or may not have liquid at the bottom, to determine how much ladder or rope is needed to reach the bottom of a hole, and so forth.

License: LGPL 2.1 or later
Author: FaceDeer

Links

Recommended mods: Ropes
Last edited by FaceDeer on Mon Feb 06, 2017 18:28, edited 3 times in total.

D00Med

GitHub: D00Med

Re: [Mod] Sounding line [0.5] [sounding_line]

by D00Med » Sun Feb 05, 2017 20:47

That is a really good idea!
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242
dmobs2 is coming...

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42

Nice! I think many players recognize the problem this item is trying to solve and will find it useful.

Personally I like for my players to get that gut feeling of vertigo when approaching an unknown abyss. :)
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Apr 01, 2017 03:01

Neat model. Could be useful. I'm just afraid that there'll be situations where it will not be able to measure how deep an abyss will go down - because the server itshelf doesn't even know yet.
A list of my mods can be found here.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 06:33

If the sounding line encounters the edge of generated world map it will report "Unknown void %dm down", so you'll at least know how far down you'd need to go to trigger more mapgen.

It also lets you know if the sounding line hit magma at the bottom of its descent, reporting that the line burned %dm down. I figured that would be a useful thing to know. :)

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Apr 01, 2017 08:59

you should submit this mod to my modding contest, it's awesome
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 23:59

azekill_DIABLO wrote:you should submit this mod to my modding contest, it's awesome

Sure. Didn't think it was particuarly weird, but I guess if nobody else has done something like this before maybe it is. Sofar did tell me it seemed a bit "niche" when I submitted it to minetest-mods. :)

Return to WIP Mods