OldCoder Solartest

OldCoder
Administrator

Re: OldCoder Moontest

by OldCoder » Mon Mar 28, 2016 02:31

wilkgr76, Hi.

I ask that people take minor individual player issues related to interact, inventories, protected areas, being able to log-in, etc., to IRC, forum PM, or email. My forum threads aren't intended for working out issues of these types.

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76
IRC: wilkgr
In-game: wilkgr

by wilkgr76 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 03:08

[This post was removed.]
Last edited by wilkgr76 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 04:55, edited 4 times in total.
I do not care.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Mar 28, 2016 04:16

This post will be updated later.

Last edited by OldCoder on Thu Mar 31, 2016 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Thu Mar 31, 2016 02:48

boilerplate built a farm, using air generators, in a glass room on an asteroid in Solartest:

After boilerplate finished the farm, he wanted to add a second level. I told him that I'd try an experiment instead. I used WorldEdit to make the farm multi-level:

Then, just for fun, I extended the resulting building to make it one of the taller farms that you're likely to find on asteroids:

Interior of one of the farm building levels:

As a note for others who may attempt this, in such a building, levels below the top one are likely to be dark. To solve the problem, in this case, I created a "glowy" replacement for "default:wood" and changed the wood planks inside the building to that.

The exterior of the building was dark initially. To address this, I created a "glowy" replacement for the bricks used and replaced those nodes as well.

OldCoder
Administrator

Re: OldCoder Solartest

by OldCoder » Tue Apr 05, 2016 06:13

Moono has offered a tour of the "codeing" of Moontest. Here it is, the code that makes up the world:

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

by programmingchicken » Sun Apr 10, 2016 14:18

how do you get scifi nodes?
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Sun Apr 10, 2016 19:37

programmingchicken wrote:how do you get scifi nodes?

They were just added recently, so I haven't looked at this yet. There are so many different types that the best way to go might be to sell chests full of the nodes or make the chests appear in exchange for specified actions.

For now, I'll probably just give the chests to promising builders. I'd like people to ask for them in-game, by the way, and not here.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47

OldCoder wrote:
The new Earth now has fish, sharks, turtles, and other aquatic life.

Note that you can breathe underwater in this world; we'll assume that humans have been engineered in the future for the purpose. So, undersea colonies will be possible.

I'm testing "codersea", my fork of "sea", in this world. One difference is that seaplants glow in the dark, which makes things more interesting. The primary advantage of "codersea", though, is that, unlike "sea", you can add it to an existing world and clams and plants will appear even in previously generated areas.

Drools!

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

by programmingchicken » Wed Apr 13, 2016 21:36

it's laggy when you're on Earth compared to the Moon
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Fri May 27, 2016 04:31

moono has built a pizza place in Moontest. It resembles one in a game that he likes. The characters are apparently not as friendly as they appear.

The pizza place was actually built, first, in Wizard School. moono requested a relocation to outer space, which was fine, but there were four hiccups:

1. The building used mods such as Hardened Clay and Poudlard that weren't present in Moontest. For it to load properly in its new home, I needed to add the missing mods.

2. I needed to place the building precisely in its new location. Sokomine is developing a GUI for this purpose, but I find scripts easier to work with. I used one of my own scripts under development to drop the building into place. Source will be posted after the code is refined.

After I placed the building, I used WorldEdit to tidy up gaps in the joins between old and new pieces of the landscape.

3. moono had caged four entities. Three are visible in the second screenshot here; the fourth is in the closet off to the right. moono says, "we don't talk about him".

Entities can't be transported between worlds by schems the way that buildings can. You can carry them over in mapblocks, but mapblocks are tricky. So, I used a schem to move the building and gave moono spawn items to recreate the entities in the new world.

4. Entities have a limited lifespan. For his display to last, I needed to make the characters immortal. To do so, I used the "/entityimmortal" command that I'd coded recently. For more information on that command, visit the following link:

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?p=217617#p217617

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Mon Jun 13, 2016 02:04

Moono offers visitors to Solartest a friendly character, the FNAF (tm) Marionette. I'm not familiar with the character, but I understand that he's known for his gentle good nature.

Moono adds that he'll come to see you even when you're in the "safe room", which I assume FNAF sets aside for tea and other social occasions.

Moono started with a sketch by hand IRL. The marionette is made out of Compunerd bricks. For scale, the green objects on our left are cacti.

FNAF seems to serve the purpose that amusement park rides did in the 1950s and Freddy and Jason movies did 30 years later, which is now, amazingly, 30 years ago... these did, and do, provide moments of adrenalin and a sense subsequently that one is both real and alive. In Moono's case, the attraction is the "jumpscares".

Coords in Solartest: 2738, 29024, -3591

Original sketch:

Previous

Return to Minetest Servers