Is there an option to change the player jump height

yyt16384

GitHub: yyt16384
IRC: yyt16384
In-game: yyt16384

Is there an option to change the player jump height

by yyt16384 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 09:04

I found the default player jump height (1 block) a little inconvenient when I'm putting block below myself to make a pillar, which is a common trick in Minecraft. I think making the jump height 1.5 blocks will work fine.

I know I can change the jump height with lua code set_physics_override, but that requires making a mod. Is there an option to change the jump height without making a mod?

pandaro

GitHub: pandaro

Re: Is there an option to change the player jump height

by pandaro » Mon Dec 08, 2014 09:35

yes
set_physics_override({jump=x})

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Mon Dec 08, 2014 14:01

This is a mod that does that for you. You just use chat commands.
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7498

Or change the config file for the map. Below is a link to the example file. Line 396 is the physics stuff
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Mon Dec 08, 2014 16:56

You can use Shift to jump over 2 nodes. But somehow it doesn't work anytime.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

yyt16384

by yyt16384 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 05:39

Don wrote:This is a mod that does that for you. You just use chat commands.
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7498

Or change the config file for the map. Below is a link to the example file. Line 396 is the physics stuff
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example

That's a great mod, but I want have the change immediately available when I load a mod, so maybe writing one myself would be better.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Mon Dec 15, 2014 20:50

You can use the sneak.
-Hold shift.
-Jump.
-You just jumped 1.5 blocks without mods! Huray!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 13:26

@yyt16384:
As Don wrote: You can edit minetest.conf. The relevant setting is movement_speed_jump. The default is:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
movement_speed_jump = 6.5

If you use this line:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
movement_speed_jump = 9.75

You’ll jump just high enough for 2 nodes. You may want to play around with this value a bit until you find a good one. You must restart the world every time you change this setting.

If you add this to your main minetest.conf, the setting applies to all worlds, I guess. If you add it to the minetest.conf of a world folder, it only applies to that world.

Random notes:
The Player Tools mod is mostly used for testing purposes, since it uses set_physics_override directly. I have created this mod to be able to quickly try out different values for set_physics_override without restarting Minetest all the time. It has probably its uses for creative games as well, but I would not recommend using that for survival games with many mods, epspecially if one of them also uses set_physics_override.

Oh, another thing to know: The settings in minetest.conf configure the base values. set_physics_override does *not* alter these base values, instead it just applies some factor if I understood correctly. Anyways, it is possible to use custom movement_speed_whatever settings together with Player Effects together relatively painlessly.

yyt16384

by yyt16384 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 15:34

Dragonop wrote:You can use the sneak.
-Hold shift.
-Jump.

That's a good thing. It's different from the Minecraft way, but it's always good to have this feature.

Wuzzy wrote:If you add this to your main minetest.conf, the setting applies to all worlds, I guess. If you add it to the minetest.conf of a world folder, it only applies to that world.

I can't find minetest.conf in my world folder... world.mt seems to be the place to store settings. Should I just place it in world.mt?

Wuzzy wrote:Oh, another thing to know: The settings in minetest.conf configure the base values. set_physics_override does *not* alter these base values, instead it just applies some factor if I understood correctly.

I know. The values are multipliers to the default values.

Don

by Don » Wed Dec 17, 2014 15:45

yyt16384 wrote:
Dragonop wrote:You can use the sneak.
-Hold shift.
-Jump.

That's a good thing. It's different from the Minecraft way, but it's always good to have this feature.

Wuzzy wrote:If you add this to your main minetest.conf, the setting applies to all worlds, I guess. If you add it to the minetest.conf of a world folder, it only applies to that world.

I can't find minetest.conf in my world folder... world.mt seems to be the place to store settings. Should I just place it in world.mt?

Wuzzy wrote:Oh, another thing to know: The settings in minetest.conf configure the base values. set_physics_override does *not* alter these base values, instead it just applies some factor if I understood correctly.

I know. The values are multipliers to the default values.

Just so you know, minetest is similar to Minecraft but does not try to be Minecraft.

The world folder doesn't have a config file. Just copy the one in the .minetest folder and paste it into the world folder.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 16:00

I don't think world folders support minetest.conf.

Add it to the Minetest.conf in the Minetest base folder (~/.minetest on non-portable Linux)

Don

by Don » Wed Dec 17, 2014 16:46

rubenwardy wrote:I don't think world folders support minetest.conf.

Add it to the Minetest.conf in the Minetest base folder (~/.minetest on non-portable Linux)

My mistake. I don't know what made me think that.
Here is the minetest.conf wiki
http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Minetest.conf

Edit - I know why I thought that. I start my server with a script that points to the minetest.conf file that I have in the world folder.

Return to Minetest General