[Mod] Throwing enhanced [maint.] [throwing]

Echoes91

In-game: Echoes

[Mod] Throwing enhanced [maint.] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 13:40

Throwing enhanced
By Echoes91

This mod adds many bows, arrows and other stuff to be thrown, like spears, to Minetest.
It began as a fork of the good PilzAdam's throwing, which improved the first throwing mod by Jeija and still provides some functions. This mod aims at being the most complete throwing mod, so please fill it with any idea or possible improvement.

Get the lastest release here
To install, unzip the archive into a folder named 'throwing' inside your mod folder, or run
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
git clone https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing.git
directly from your mod folder so that you can track changes by running
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
git pull
after any update.
Browse the code

Dependencies: default, farming, dye (all included into minetest_game as for 0.4.12 and newer)
Optionals: bucket (fire arrows), fire (fire and tnt arrows), tnt (fireworks, shell and tnt arrows)

License:
Code under LGPLv2.1
Textures and sounds under CC-BY 3.0
Contents and code from tnt and old throwing mods, both released under WTFPL, are included.

Instructions: To shot an arrow, first place a bow in your hotbar and any arrow right next to it, then select the bow and load it with 'left click'. After it's reload time the bow, if still wielded, switches to being loaded, then it can throw the loaded arrow with 'left click' or be unloaded, giving back the arrow, with 'drop' (default 'Q'). A loaded bow stores the arrow as metadata, so it doesn't depend anymore on the arrow's stack; they can both be moved.
You can create a file named throwing.conf inside mod's directory which won't be overwritten to enable or disable any content you prefer, see throwing.conf.example. Note that some content is disabled by default.

Contents and recipes
Wood, stone and coal into the recipes can be any member of respective groups, metals must be ingots. Symmetric recipes (vertically mirrored) work too.
Please notice that everything is balanced against entities from the Mobs redo mod and NOT tested against armors for a PvP world.

+ Bows

+ Crossbows

+ Fireworks arrows

+ Offensive arrows

+ Utility arrows

+ Harmful arrows
Last edited by Echoes91 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 14:30, edited 47 times in total.
"It wasn't easy to break so many functions by editing a single line"

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.8] [throwing]

by Krock » Sun Mar 08, 2015 13:52

Finally there's an update for the older throwing mod :)
Some of those arrows are really special, I hope you'll get more ideas.

EDIT: This happens when I shoot a build arrow:
14:57:50: ERROR[main]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-22,2,31) (block (-2,0,1))
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.8] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 14:18

Thanks for appreciation :)
Ideas are waiting, some will be introduced soon while others depend on my understanding of the code or some external help.
Build arrows work, like the old one, by placing the item in the first inventory slot, which is also the first toolbar slot, as a node, so there must be something exactly into that slot which is also placeable. I may change it in the future if requested and if i understand how...
Individual item informations like this will be added soon too, as for recipes, but it takes some time. I want to see if the core and the post are correct and accepted before it.

Miner59

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.8.1] [throwing]

by Miner59 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:45

Hi,
you can add two arrows I made as addition for throwing mod:

golden arrow:
It's crafted with 2 sticks and a gold ingot, gives 16 arrows.
If you don't hit the target you aim for, you get it automatically back in your inventory.
Also teleports all things which animals drop when you hit them in your inventory.

steal arrow:
Crafted with a golden arrow and glue from mesecon mod, gives one steal arrow.
Maybe think of an alternative, so you don't need mesecons.
If you hit a player with this arrow you can steal an random item from his inventory.
To prevent really valuable items from stealing, i coded that the first 8 item slots are protected from stealing stuff from there
For animals it works like a golden arrow.

I made more bows, too.
You can copy some if you want.
And you can copy the code I added, so that you can pick things up from ground with a bow in your hand when you hold the "sneak" key.

Here you find my version of throwing mod: https://github.com/Miner59/hunting/tree/master/throwing

if obj:get_luaentity().name ~= "throwing:arrow_fire_entity" and obj:get_luaentity().name ~= "__builtin:item" then ...

This code is to search for all luaentities in a list of objects
"throwing:arrow_fire_entity" is the name of the arrow itself,
"__builtin:item" is an internal name for the dropped items laying on the map.
You don't want to "hit" this objects, only mobs or similar luaentities

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.8.1] [throwing]

by Don » Mon Mar 09, 2015 16:25

Great to see throwing being developed more.
+1
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.9] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 17:26

Updated to 0.9 Bows have just become even more challenging, enjoy!
Finally found that "__builtin:item" on the wiki, code is almost good enough.
Keep on testing, new contents will be introduced soon.

@Miner59: thanks for suggestions! They'll all be introduced after code stabilization, however those arrows have quite powerful effects so they must be harder to obtain and maintain in order to keep it balanced

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.9.1] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 22:00

Updated to 0.9.1
Great improvement for torch arrows, now they can be very useful

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 00:00

WoooOwwwW ! i waited for a throwing update since one year !

Thank you so much and keep up the good work; i will try your mod soon ! :)

PS : maybe you can take ideas from this tweaked mod => https://github.com/Ombridride/minetest- ... s/throwing)

Storm787

In-game: Storm787

by Storm787 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 15:30

How do you fire it? I tried both right and left click..and I even had an arrow...is there something I'm forgetting?

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced [0.9.2] [throwing]

by Echoes91 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 16:28

Updated to 0.9.2 See changelog

Added firing instructions to bow description, slowly completing the intro post

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.3] [throw

by Echoes91 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 17:26

Updated to 0.9.3 See changelog

Now that the code is practically stable, it's time to take a decision about how to fix things for the stable release. I have to choose between a bow set coherent to the standard tool sets (all with same shape and recipe, changing colors and materials) or a more "historical" set with something like longbow, composite bow, crossbow etc. with more variable shapes and recipes. I'd like the second option more, but i fear it would become incoherent with the rest of the game and with itself too, while also being hard to render graphically due to tools being in fact 2D and all with same dimension. Since I'm not sure at all I'll start a pool and wait for some opinions before going on. In both cases some item and recipe will change for the last time to be adapted.
Last edited by Echoes91 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Don

by Don » Wed Mar 11, 2015 17:36

I vote for historical bows.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

HeroOfTheWinds

GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Wed Mar 11, 2015 19:30

Really liking how this is turning out. I, too, favor historical bows.

I'm thinking that this would be great to include in SkyTest.... Whenever I get around to implementing the other 5 mods I have sitting, waiting to be added...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Wed Mar 11, 2015 19:45

It was possible to kill my avatar in creative with damage not enabled. I fired tnt arrows below me and got damage. The "You died" message appeared in the chat, but the game was not affected otherwise, except that i wasn't able to use the bows anymore.

Bas080

GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 03:35

I changed the textures for the simple game. Would you consider using the "improved" textures? Tell me if you'd like them. I'll send a pull request.

https://github.com/bas080/simple/tree/m ... g/textures

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 08:26

lightonflux wrote:It was possible to kill my avatar in creative with damage not enabled. I fired tnt arrows below me and got damage. The "You died" message appeared in the chat, but the game was not affected otherwise, except that i wasn't able to use the bows anymore.

Sorry but I've not been able to reproduce it, even going directly into explosion. Note that in later versions tnt arrows dig instead of removing nodes, it can't hurt if damage is disabled.

Bas080 wrote:I changed the textures for the simple game. Would you consider using the "improved" textures? Tell me if you'd like them. I'll send a pull request.

https://github.com/bas080/simple/tree/m ... g/textures

Thanks, but I'm already working on some more elegant textures, see the gold bow for a starting point. The final shape will depend on poll results and it may also be different for each bow. Old bow textures will all be changed in any case.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.4] [throw

by Echoes91 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03

Updated to 0.9.4 See changelog

This bow texture should be definitive. Composite bow will have to change (or be substituted) if standard set wins, while golden bow will be substituted if historical wins

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.4] [throw

by cHyper » Thu Mar 12, 2015 13:40

+1 awesome mod...

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:15

Echoes91 wrote:
lightonflux wrote:It was possible to kill my avatar in creative with damage not enabled. I fired tnt arrows below me and got damage. The "You died" message appeared in the chat, but the game was not affected otherwise, except that i wasn't able to use the bows anymore.

Sorry but I've not been able to reproduce it, even going directly into explosion. Note that in later versions tnt arrows dig instead of removing nodes, it can't hurt if damage is disabled.

I am running the newest dev version.

Steps:

* Start with creative enabled and damage disabled
* fly 20 nodes in the air
* have a composite bow with tnt arrows
* disable fly
* fire tnt arrow so that you would get tnt and fall damage at the same time if damage was enabled
* then you get the message, can click it away and nothing happens, but your bow doesn't work
* when you start with creative and damage in the same constellation you get the message again and the bow still does not work
* start the world again with damage enabled and die properly then your mod works again

Is it a mod bug or an engine bug? If the later i will happily report it, but i need conformation that it is not the mods fault.

Video proof

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.5] [throw

by Echoes91 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 13:26

Updated to 0.9.5 See changelog
lightonflux wrote:
Echoes91 wrote:

I am running the newest dev version.

Steps:

* Start with creative enabled and damage disabled
* fly 20 nodes in the air
* have a composite bow with tnt arrows
* disable fly
* fire tnt arrow so that you would get tnt and fall damage at the same time if damage was enabled
* then you get the message, can click it away and nothing happens, but your bow doesn't work
* when you start with creative and damage in the same constellation you get the message again and the bow still does not work
* start the world again with damage enabled and die properly then your mod works again

Is it a mod bug or an engine bug? If the later i will happily report it, but i need conformation that it is not the mods fault.

Video proof

I tried again your same sequence so many time without success, however you've got the old bow texture so it must not be the last release. TNT code used to remove nodes and deal damage but since 0.9.2 it digs nodes instead of removing. Maybe under very unlikely circumstances it "removed" your avatar, but i don't know how engine work for those cases...

Minetestforfun

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.5] [throw

by Minetestforfun » Fri Mar 13, 2015 22:52

Maybe a variable to enable/disable Shell arrow easily should be a good idea, and add a bow with diamonds/mithril (the final and most interresting bow ?

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.6] [throw

by Echoes91 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11

Updated to 0.9.6
Now everything can be easily disabled from config.lua, which won't be overwritten, see the example.

Since most textures and sounds (ok, sounds will come with next additions) have now been changed and polished, I release them from now on under the CC-BY license. It means that you can still do whatever you want, just don't forget to give some credits (anyway you may like, I'm not going to check links or credit screens...) to the author who's really noob and needs a lot of time to make them :)

and add a bow with diamonds/mithril (the final and most interresting bow ?

Looking at pool's results, it seems like that weapons will be someway realistic and won't use implausible materials (bows must have some elasticity). However this won't apply to arrows (obviously) and doesn't mean that some special weapon isn't about to come ;)

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.7] [throw

by Echoes91 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 23:45

Updated to 0.9.7
Much better reload system, should fix the problem after dying while reloading and works on multiplayer too. It gives a visual feedback on hud, even if it isn't very good looking I find it very useful.

Since I've worked enough on the code to feel it a bit "mine" too, I'll release it from now on under LGPLv2.1 license

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:56

I understand your answer for diamonds, but I don't understand very well the problem with the used materials when i sayed "mithril" material.

Many bows are built with allow and/or metals, like here :
+ Spoiler

Ok, the mithril is an unreal material but, it's harder(/more rare) than the diamonds and, why can't we imagine (because it's unreal) it can have the better stretching force and compression force ?

PS : thank you for updates, you work is great ! :)

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 16:04

Using the above picture as reference...
Why would it be unbelievable to have non flexible materials such as diamonds for the center area (don't know it's proper name) and have the limbs made from the flexible materials?
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:32

Many bows are built with allow and/or metals

That's right, there's indeed the steel bow which is a modern full metal bow with aiming aid. I've no problem with mithril but it would add a dependency on moreores while i want to stick with the standard included mods. If somebody would like to implement it inside a game with both mods he'll find that's very easy to add a bow by looking at bows.lua.
After 1.0 I've already planned to release crossbows as very high weight and long reload "bows", and there will be something unique.
Why would it be unbelievable to have non flexible materials such as diamonds for the center area (don't know it's proper name) and have the limbs made from the flexible materials?

That's right too, in fact many bows use a different material for the grip (the non-flexible central part), but while it has an important role when using the real weapon, it has little effect on the effective weight force. In fact, you'd waste diamonds for a decoration, but if you like it then read above :)

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:50

Echoes91 wrote:That's right too, in fact many bows use a different material for the grip (the non-flexible central part), but while it has an important role when using the real weapon, it has little effect on the effective weight force. In fact, you'd waste diamonds for a decoration, but if you like it then read above :)

Correct, it would make no difference in the effectiveness of the weapon. But that school of thought hasn't stopped enthusiasts from desiring that nickle plated, handgun with pearl inlays on the grip. Not the best analogy I know, but it's human nature. We like shiny pretty things. Even if they cost more and don't seem to function any better. :P
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Don

by Don » Sun Mar 15, 2015 18:01

ExeterDad wrote:Using the above picture as reference...

That is a compound bow. It is solid in the middle in real life.

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.8] [throw

by Echoes91 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 22:01

Updated to 0.9.8 See changelog
Yes, I'm really proud of the new damage calculation that I thought while having a shower

ExeterDad wrote:Correct, it would make no difference in the effectiveness of the weapon. But that school of thought hasn't stopped enthusiasts from desiring that nickle plated, handgun with pearl inlays on the grip. Not the best analogy I know, but it's human nature. We like shiny pretty things. Even if they cost more and don't seem to function any better. :P

After all a compound bow with an insanely precious grip won't hurt, maybe without any supernatural performance but very long lasting as gold and diamonds are known to be. It will have just to wait on queue, expect it around release 1.3

Excalibur Zero

GitHub: ExcaliburZero

Re: [Mod] Throwing enhanced (bows and arrows) [0.9.8] [throw

by Excalibur Zero » Mon Mar 16, 2015 01:30

I found an issue with the crafting recipe for Torch Arrows and made an issue reporting it on GitLab (https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing/issues/1), as well as a merge request that fixes the issue (https://gitlab.com/echoes91/throwing/merge_requests/1).

Next

Return to Mod Releases