minestest.log("Hello Community")

wintermute

IRC: freeemint_
In-game: aulin

minestest.log("Hello Community")

by wintermute » Sun Jul 05, 2015 15:31

Dear Minetest-community,

we (a friend of mine and myself) have started playing 3 mounts ago, since we searched for an alternative for Minecraft.
Also I had some LUA experience with the löve engine and that the core of the game is coded in Ceeplusplus was promising.
After recovering from the shock caused by the low amount of content delivered with the standard game. It was funny to collect the mods for the best play experience.
Seeing the endless possibilities of modding, the quick development iteration(/recursions?), the active community and the lightweight server and client side which must convince everyone.

This core game allows the fast and fun development of great and cool, nearly cheat proof games. Things missing in Minecraft. Minecraft maybe is portable, but Minetest is easy to port.
A way better way of handling the issues of clients of different OSes. Sadly the Linux packages in many distributions are outdated or not in the reprository (like for Redhat/CentOS), but i don`t blame you.

I plan to setup an Minetest-server for about 200 people, expecting 28 - 50 active players and host events on a regular bases, but the server is invited-only and i will not publish it, before i get hacks like the Ramdisk working and other stuff working, so don`t push. Since i have some expertise at blendering, Digital Painting, Programming, Block Building and Texturing, i may publish some resources or little mods under a friendly license. But do not expect anything big soon.

I have some spare time in the next months, i am going to grok the APIs abit, expect me in IRC someday.

I hope for a nice, warm welcome. If that's Case, expect some weird ideas from me,

Wintermute

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: minestest.log("Hello Community")

by Krock » Mon Jul 06, 2015 07:44

Welcome to the forums!

You are right, there are many possibilities of modding, but the problem are the missing ideas. I hope you can help us to improve the gameplay by extending the amount of mods for Minetest.

I must warn you abut the cheat proof part: Minetest prevents people from building in protected areas but it currently lacks at cheat detectors (moving too fast, flying or nocliping without privileges, etc..)
If you want to reach ~40 active people on your server, you will need to make Minetest more popular. It also requires a good area and player management - there are many kids around that can not/do not want to read any signs or welcome screens.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

wintermute

IRC: freeemint_
In-game: aulin

by wintermute » Mon Jul 06, 2015 14:32

Thank you Krock for the corrections.
I wish that the not-yet-released area management of orwell fits for my purposes.
He talked about controlling area access and players too. Let's see if this mod allow Admins to be the "big brother"¹.
I know that > 40 active players is an bold goal. But maybe I can reach this many players, I hope for the best.

My problem is often an lack of time rather than an lack of ideas and inspiration. I hope for more welcoming gestures from the community, but since then i am going to work on some ideas.

________FOOTNOTES_______
1 Obligatory 1984 refernce

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 15:10

Welcome wintermute.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Fresh ideas often spark others to be motivated to create off of them. So everyone wins!
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Niebieski

GitHub: Snipie
IRC: Niebieski
In-game: Niebieski

by Niebieski » Mon Jul 06, 2015 23:11

Welcome to Minetest, wintermute!
Good luck with the development. If you don't mind, I would like to join making the server/mods.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Tue Jul 07, 2015 00:20

Welcome to our warm hole on the Internet.

Return to Minetest General