Does minetest.exe require admin privileges?

uk63

GitHub: Uwe

Does minetest.exe require admin privileges?

by uk63 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 09:41

Hi,
I want to do a minetest project in a school network. Have done that bedfore with an older version of Minetest, but now I encounter some strange problem. The computers are win 7 32bit, users do not have administrative privileges. We use the portable 32bit version of Minetest. minetest.exe can be started, but later on crashes, it cannot connect to servers etc. If I rightclick and choose "run as administrator", everything ist just fine... It seems that the exe requires administrative rights (although there is no error message saying this). Problem: I can't possibly grant administrative rights to all the users...
How can that problem be solved? I'd be grateful for any helpful hint. uk63

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Does minetest.exe require admin privileges?

by Krock » Wed Nov 09, 2016 18:46

Please make sure that you install/copy the Minetest directory to the user's desktops or a personal directory. This means, directories like "Program Files" or write protected places should not be used.
I tested the binary on a flash stick without administrator access (Window$ 7) and everything ran fine (apart from the slow loading due the old flash stick)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

twoelk

by twoelk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 22:27

I use minetest on windows machines only from portable devices. I never had any problems. It seems to run faster from a portable harddisk over usb than from any usb stick I have. I have bundled other minetest tools such as the mapper with it and use Asuite to access the programs easily

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Thu Nov 10, 2016 00:11

>Does minetest.exe require admin privileges?

It does not. Download *.zip version and extract in some folder you have access too.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 20:08

The only thing that actually needs those "admin privs" is grant Network Access... but i guess the servers work alright without it!
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

garywhite

GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Wed Nov 23, 2016 09:13

I personally run Minetest 64 bit portable in a folder on my secondary partition, and it runs fine. But for sure, whatever you do DO NOT put it into Program Files

Return to Minetest Problems