Angry user

nomohakon

IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

Angry user

by nomohakon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:00

Hi, i recently played fresh minecraft, and noticed some things. Water and lava is not cpu-greedy, light and shadow is based on location of player (in cave, under tree...) instead of where player is looking, when player dig's block then the block stay digged. Why in minetest those things just dont-work-that-good? I know that block reapearance is caused by "disagreement" between server and client, but what the heck!

Dont take this personally. But isnt minetest aiming (going, trying) to be better than minecraft?

What you think? I want to hear your opinion on these.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:08

nomohakon wrote:Water and lava is not cpu-greedy

How do you know?

nomohakon wrote:light and shadow is based on location of player (in cave, under tree...) instead of where player is looking

It's more a bad thing than a good thing. Fog being darker when being under a tree looks... weird?

nomohakon wrote:when player dig's block then the block stay digged

Anti-cheat issue, temporary solution is to disable anticheat (for servers) with "disable_anticheat = true" in minetest.conf. The cheat prevention about digging too fast is a bit too strict.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:12

Calinou wrote:...

Anti-cheat issue, temporary solution is to disable anticheat (for servers) with "disable_anticheat = true" in minetest.conf. The cheat prevention about digging too fast is a bit too strict.

I agree.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

jmf

by jmf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:46

nomohakon wrote: [...] when player dig's block then the block stay digged.

I have played minecraft before coming to minetest. Minecraft has got a lot more lag.
Blocks glitching around happened much more often to me in minecraft, even on servers
near me and with great connectivity.
In minetest every server is quite fast and the blocks are dug faster than on some minecraft servers.
My ingame name is "john", my IRC name is "john_minetest".
I am chef mod on this server: minetest.org : 30015(see here)
"I am immune to signature virus." <-- Add this to your signature to gain immunity!!!

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:55

Calinou wrote:

How do you know?

Going far away from mobs and stuff, turning around (fast response), pouring water on ground, water goes down-hill, looking around (still fast response). Not like in minetest...

Calinou wrote:
nomohakon wrote:light and shadow is based on location of player (in cave, under tree...) instead of where player is looking

It's more a bad thing than a good thing. Fog being darker when being under a tree looks... weird?

Right... You are in cave and there is light in distance when you know the cave is dark except one torch you placed...

Calinou wrote:

Anticheat? Where can i learn about this more? Is it in basic game (no aditional mods, local game)?

p.s. Note that my pc is slow piece of Sith...
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 18:56

nomohakon wrote:
Calinou wrote:

How do you know?

Going far away from mobs and stuff, turning around (fast response), pouring water on ground, water goes down-hill, looking around (still fast response). Not like in minetest...

Calinou wrote:

Right... You are in cave and there is light in distance when you know the cave is dark except one torch you placed...

Calinou wrote:

Anticheat? Where can i learn about this more? Is it in basic game (no aditional mods, local game)?

p.s. Note that my pc is slow piece of Sith...

It is in the engine (c++)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:20

Water flowing is currently slow-ish in Minetest because the water position isn't updated often. It should be tweaked, yes.

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:54

disable_anticheat = true should be the default.
If you can think it, you can make it.

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:16

Calinou wrote:Water flowing is currently slow-ish in Minetest because the water position isn't updated often. It should be tweaked, yes.

That is not what i mean. When i put water on hill the game go nuts and laggy. Every flowing liquid does that.

Water isnt slow, but makes game crawl (on my pc).
- - -

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:21

nomohakon wrote:
Calinou wrote:Water flowing is currently slow-ish in Minetest because the water position isn't updated often. It should be tweaked, yes.

That is not what i mean. When i put water on hill the game go nuts and laggy. Every flowing liquid does that.

Water isnt slow, but makes game crawl (on my pc).

Open Source Software is a hobby for many of us here. We are not being paid to implement things. If you think you could contribute a little code instead of complaining, that would be very much appreciated.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

trukoil

by trukoil » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:26

See the unique difference between these games: $

You can compare Minetest with the open version of Minecraft, not with the $20 one with full time developers.
I don't always sign a post
but when i do, i dig.

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:43

kaeza wrote:Open Source Software is a hobby for many of us here. We are not being paid to implement things. If you think you could contribute a little code instead of complaining, that would be very much appreciated.

Sad truth is that i know very little (nothing really) about C++. Also i dont know how to compile complex programs like minetest to see if my changes works.
- - -

trukoil

by trukoil » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:46

Try to mod, lua isn't much hard and you don't need to compile the game everytime too see a change. But it change so few things of the game.
I don't always sign a post
but when i do, i dig.

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:56

Slownes of fluids can be corrected by lua? I dont think so.

Edit: I mean i dont have enough knowledge to try improve it.
Last edited by nomohakon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
- - -

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 04:21

It's gonna be less 'laggy' and this kind of sloppy in the future. have you played mc alpha? basically, the same thing here. and minecraft had this "prettiness", minetest lacks. that's why it became popular in the first place. and it has reasonable system of ores. (that's the key feature in my dwarves game, i hope :) ). infiniminer haven't got this big because it wasn't that "pretty". but that's the other thing to talk about :D

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 06:30

It is better, we get a lot of people like you around here. Looking at the polish of the game is one thing, but being able to change, fix, add, remove, or even break things at your own whim is much better than having a closed off game. Sure there are plenty of bugs, massive glitches even, but minetest has it's heart in a better place.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Fri Jan 25, 2013 08:01

I have a feeling weve covered this topic before..

Sorry to say this, but this discussion has been done to death.
Last edited by Jordach on Fri Jan 25, 2013 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18

kaeza wrote:Open Source Software is a hobby for many of us here. We are not being paid to implement things. If you think you could contribute a little code instead of complaining, that would be very much appreciated.

+1

Or some documentation, web site construction, graphics, algorithms, links to game dev resources, audio, PR...

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 15:15

If there is ONE THING Minetest does better than MC, It is the modding API and the ability of the client to download mods from the server.

glomie

by glomie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:03

nomohakon wrote:Hi, i recently played fresh minecraft, and noticed some things. Water and lava is not cpu-greedy

In the same computeur ?
What is your config ?
Sorry for my bad english...

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:20

nomohakon wrote:Dont take this personally. But isnt minetest aiming (going, trying) to be better than minecraft?

Not sure, but i think nomohakon is slightly correct
I Live When I Dig

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:23

MEGASPARK wrote:
nomohakon wrote:Dont take this personally. But isnt minetest aiming (going, trying) to be better than minecraft?

minetest is aiming to become a great game not a "better minecraft"
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:40

Traxie21 wrote:If there is ONE THING Minetest does better than MC, It is the modding API and the ability of the client to download mods from the server.

Wrong. Minetest does not download any mods; only the media files and a few tidbits to know what to do.

jojoa1997 wrote:
MEGASPARK wrote:

That's an excellent description. +1 to you.

I know that what I'll say is prolly going to start a flame war, but to those who say "Why doesn't Minetest do this thing that the foobar voxel game does?" or "This does blahblahblah", if you don't like this game, go play your favorite foobar voxel game, and stop posting these kinds of discussions. As Jordach said, this topic has been discussed to death and we're bored of it.
Last edited by kaeza on Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:44

kaeza wrote:
Traxie21 wrote:If there is ONE THING Minetest does better than MC, It is the modding API and the ability of the client to download mods from the server.

Wrong. Minetest does not download any mods; only the media files and a few tidbits to know what to do.

jojoa1997 wrote:
MEGASPARK wrote:Not sure, but i think nomohakon is slightly correct

I know that what I'll say is prolly going to start a flame war, but to those who say "Why doesn't Minetest do this thing that the foobar voxel game does?" or "This does blahblahblah", if you don't like this game, go play your favorite foobar voxel game, and stop posting these kinds of discussions. As Jordach said, this topic has been discussed to death and we're bored of it.

TL;DR: Go b*tch elsewhere.
the only thing i have to say to theat is that instead of post topics like this mybe post in the ideas topic having a running mod like minecrafts where you can run by default but it deplenishes and you have to regenerate it. Kaeza thanks it took me a while to figure that out. i used to think that this was a minecraft for slower computers but know i know that it is way more because i have gotten deeper into it.
edit: and for those who complain how about trying to mod what you want. it might be hard to begin but you will get there. i did.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

nomohakon

by nomohakon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 00:45

I said better THAN minecraft! And about water: seem you all play on expensive computers, otherwise you would notice this sooner. Also, i made some "stuff" for personal use, but i'm not proud of it, so i wont release it (spaceship engines with cooling system).
- - -

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 00:53

so if you release it then others could help
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 02:12

nomohakon wrote:I said better THAN minecraft! And about water: seem you all play on expensive computers, otherwise you would notice this sooner. Also, i made some "stuff" for personal use, but i'm not proud of it, so i wont release it (spaceship engines with cooling system).

What I don't understand is that there is all these things that this game has, it's free, and you're nitpicking and angry about it, are you trolling?

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sun Jan 27, 2013 04:48

kaeza wrote:[...] but to those who say "Why doesn't Minetest do this thing that the foobar voxel game does?" or "This does blahblahblah", if you don't like this game, go play your favorite foobar voxel game, and stop posting these kinds of discussions.

Yes, that. Minecrafters keep suggesting bad ideas, just because they are implemented in Minecraft. I don't like Minecraft, and a lot of those Minecraft features would only serve to make this game suck too.

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 07:26

kaeza wrote:

jojoa1997 wrote:
MEGASPARK wrote:Not sure, but i think nomohakon is slightly correct

Yeah.... right GREAT game not a BETTER minecraft. heh, this popped in my mind... why would c55 make a game BETTER than minecraft.... i knew people make games thatare GREAT not better....
I Live When I Dig

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 07:30

and also, i also think nomohakon i wrong because minetest IS a different game than minecraft. they just have the same objective. and if the minetest is only a game leak, then creators are not guilty about that. but if the game is not leaked, woah, i think that's the quality of the game. :p
I Live When I Dig

Next

Return to Minetest General